Kim Young Kwang!!

Discussion in 'Korea' started by sac517, Jul 8, 2005.

1. sac517

sac517 Member+

May 23, 2005
    seriously guys....lets start him on our senior NT!! time to get woon jae ahjushee out!

2. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul
    Lee Woong Jae is not playing bad... he has lost his quickness to the ball a bit but still not bad

only thing that worries me about Lee tho, is his decision-making... sometimes I see him making wrong decisions to come out, trying to close angles when he doesnt necessarily have to... Problem with that is he doesnt have fast second move that Kim has...

Kim is just much quicker and more responsive to the ball... as of now Kim should be at least subbed into more games for experience purposes

3. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As long as Lee is playing good there is no reason for him to step away.
    Although i want to see Kim in the team soon :)

4. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Actually Lee was dropped by Suwon for the past two games to make way for third choice goalie Park Ho-jin, and Suwon have now kept two clean sheets in a row with Park between the sticks - prior to that they hadn't kept a domestic clean sheet since the final match of the Hauzen Cup ;)

5. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Haha i see :D Were is the second goalkeeper?

6. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Like about 472 other members of the Suwon squad, he's out injured ;)

7. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Aha Suwon the lucky club :D

8. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Even the 3rd string keeper for Suwon seems like a decent player. Damn Suwon and their money. :mad:

No doubt Kim YK has way more talent (and great potential) than Lee Woon Jae ever had (talent wise, he's very average obviously). But Lee WJ still a very reliable keeper. I think he has enough gas in him to do a decent job for us in 2006 WC. Kim Young Kwang's turn will come, unless that friggin gigantic goalkeeper we have in u-20 i think (have to check on that) name Seol emerges in the next few years.

9. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Couple things I want to comment about KYK:

- His reaction/reflex abilities as a goalkeeper is second to none in Korea. Almost, if not already at Kim Byung Ji's level when he was in his prime. Also seems to have a lot of confidence in 1-on-1's, and isn't afraid to challenge players, which is really good.

- He's a really smart keeper from what I've seen. He mixes his confidence with cool judgement, and rarely makes foolish challenges. At the same time, he can be aggressive too, so that's a good thing.

- He has a pretty good feed kick. Nice, low, and accurate.

- However, there are two things going against him skill wise compared to Lee WJ. One is that he is pretty short for a goalkeeper and hence not great in the air. I think he's about 181-183cm range, which I think is below average for a keeper. I've seen him challenge aerial balls and though he does have pretty good jumping abilities, he's not outstanding.

- He also has tendencies to bounce around the ball a lot. I'm not saying that he has butterfingers, but he needs to learn how to handle the ball better. He seems to have trouble grasping the ball at times.

With those things said, I see him as Korea's version of Yoshikatsu Kawaguchi. They're similar height, play similar styles, and share the same advantages and drawbacks as a keeper. When Lee retires, he can become a solid #1 starter for our NT, but he'll have to fight off Kim Yong Dae's challenge, first (who has been playing well recently).

10. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    he's actually taller than Lee Woon-jae.

http://www.kfa.or.kr/koreateam/km_player.asp

but I agree with most of the things you said, though.

11. V_Park

V_Park Member

Dec 20, 2004
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I saw Kim Young Kwang in the game against Germany...For what I saw I think he is very good...

12. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Mr. Lee needs to start chilling out on the chadoolbags....

13. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  14. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul
    Lee can be deadly on PK's tho...

he has saved us so many time past 3-4 yrs...

15. KovenDreamer

KovenDreamer Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It will be interesting which GK will start in the World Cup, but I still think Lee WJ is our better option at the moment because of his experience.

16. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

ah kim young kwang is friggin awesome and we need to replace him for Lee Woon Jae in the near future, but for 2006, id say rotate them. let Lee Woon Jae play for 2 of the group games, and kim young kwang 1. if we advance (please God let that happen), then use Lee Woon Jae for the rest, but if somehow we end up playing the 3rd place game, let Kim Young Kwang play

17. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    That would never work and seems like a stupid idea. Unless we lose the 1st 2 group games, then we know we are eliminated and build for the future by giving Kim YK experience.

Why switch keepers during group stages? It's not really going to work, changing chemistry like that.

18. V_Park

V_Park Member

Dec 20, 2004
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  19. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Kim YK's great, but I'm not too sure if anyone can say with certainty that he's better than Lee WJ at this stage. And with GK's getting better with age and experience, I think Lee WJ should be still the first choice keeper for next year.

20. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul
    seems like Lee WJ has lost some weight out of all that fat he gained...

i was just watchingmy World Cup 2002 DVD collection and man Lee WJ was a skinny man compared to now... not sluggish at all

he needs to get in shape

21. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Kim Young-kwang and Lee Woon-jae are both great goalies. not to mention Kim Yong-dae who isn't too far behind.

I'd still say Lee Woon-jae should be our first option because of he's proven and experienced, but Bonny needs to start rotating Kim and Lee during this marathon of friendlies we're gonna be playing after the WCQs.

and did someone mention Cha Ki-seok from the U-20 team? it's probably because he's too young but the guy's decision making is worse than the goalie from my club team.

22. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    That's right. Sorry, didn't mean to directly compare their heights... they're both considered short for a keeper. I think typical keepers are around 187-200 cm range.

Thing about Lee WJ is, even though he is very short for a keeper, he always seems to have good judgement on air balls. He knows exactly when to come out, punch the ball or hold on to the ball, and his performance in WC2002 is a perfect example of this. Every single decision he made on aerial balls was a good one.

Kim YK, meanwhile, is very hesitant on aerial balls. I've seen him not come out at all on balls he should have punched out or grabbed, or lose his positioning. But this is something he can improve on as the years go by, with experience :)

About Cha KS, now this guy has all the tools to become a great goalkeeper. I think he's already around 190cm, and his reflexes and athleticism is amazing. However, his decision making skills are HORRIBLE, as we all saw in the WYC. He seems boneheaded sometimes. Again though, thankfully, these things you can teach to a degree while you can't teach physical prowess and talent ;) I hope Cha will improve in years to come.

23. forzakr

forzakr New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It is definately time for Bonfrere to start platooning the two in preparation for the World Cup. If you see some of Suwon's games this year, Lee Woon-jae doesn't look like the dominating force that he was a year or two ago.(Of course you have to take into account the number of injuries that they've suffered)

Start rotating the pair until next year and go with whoever has the better condition in June 2006

24. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Sky, Kim Yong-Dae is not that good...Average keeper, yes, but good? Eehh.

25. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That movie is great, a great goalie. He doesnt give up until he has the ball.