Kim Jin-su @ TSG 1899 Hoffenheim 2015-2016 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Gayageum, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Not yet. They can finish 16th & lose the relegation playoff

2. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    takeuchi repped this.
  3. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    ahhh....

good for Kim JS, i guess?

4. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think so. We'll see where the pieces fall next year. Hopefully he learns to cross.

5. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Ochs playing u19 this weekend so perhaps KJS on bench.

6. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  7. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  8. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    difficult to understand based on Google Translate but it sounds like Kim JS is listed as one of the players with uncertain future with the club.

http://www.rnz.de/sport/1899hoffenh...osen-zieht-sein-Saisonfazit-_arid,192729.html

9. datschge

datschge Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Germany
    "Wackelkandidaten" (shaky candidates is a straight translation alright, haha) are those that can totally go either way (so more like wobblers, uncertain prospects etc.). Kim is included in that lot.

skimmilk and takeuchi repped this.
  10. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  11. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  12. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

13. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I don't track Toljan all that closely... just saw coincidentally from Hamburg news.

Its unclear whats going on with KJS. Maybe its his lack of german preventing him from being a communicative member of the defense. Maybe its his inability to cross. Maybe it was just Nagelsmann not wanting to change what was working.

I agree that it makes sense for him to leave but if he drops down in BL2, not ideal.

As for KJS himself, he has good capabilities... I find YSY a bit more intriguing from raw toolset perspective, but neither are playing, both are defensive liabilities, and both struggle to cross accurately. Its up to each of them to get themselves out of that.

14. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    KJS started well his first year but went to Asian Games. He started to get a bit flat and then had concussion and struggled for rest of first year.

Second year, he was first choice clearly enough that Toljan was almost sold off but he was useful because he could play both sides and obviously also has a high ceiling with german youth NT appearances (but I believe he's mostly on the right there).

IIRC, KJS started off ok but started to struggle until Huub Stevens joined. Under Stevens, KJS was regular again and was starting to play well. But then he got roasted (ROASTED) vs Bayern and was left off afterwards.

Nagelsmann wanted a more attacking fullback in Ochs at first. Then went to Toljan who provided more balance. Didn't watch all of their matches after but they went through a number of formations and the like so not sure of the roles but KJS was nowhere to be seen.

15. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Ochs was clearly on the margins though towards the end and I'm not sure Toljan earned himself auto starter role.

That said, Toljan has probably similar upside as KJS, less downside between resale as german prospect and also communication, so it would be logical to go with Toljan.

But the FB spots were the most tinkered with so we'll see as the window progresses.

16. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm going to predict Kim JS stays with Hoffenheim because of ROGON. It's possible he can bounce back from last season but at the same time he can be buried too. 50/50.. it's all up to him imo.

17. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    unlike some, he'll have summer training to figure out where he is in pecking order. And given international duty for other FBs, he should get chances to impress in friendlies if he has any future at all.

18. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Another thing is that Hoffenheim will use the money for Volland (they also have something left from the Firmino transfer) to reinvest as best they can and as both KJS and Toljan are not that reliable they might be looking for another LB. If that's the case KJS should leave.

19. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    They spent some but didn't really blow out the firmino money (http://www.transfermarkt.de/tsg-1899-hoffenheim/alletransfers/verein/533)

I don't expect them to go hogwild with Volland money either beyond what's already spent.

20. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    They have big dreams with JN. I think they will let him create his own team so it depends on if KJS can win his heart.

21. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Big dreams but not a red bull spending club. Nagelsmann was chosen post Gisdol to continue model of moderate spending, youth development, and attacking football... not drastically change things and becoming big spenders.

datschge repped this.
  22. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    You're right but he's called the new German manager super talent :p But what I wanted to say is, Hoffenheim are having a fresh start, so it can go either ways. He can fight back or JN won't use him because he favours other kind of LBs.

23. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He's also 28 and not in charge of transfers. They're not going to give him a blank check to rebuild the squad, especially as there are tons of young guys in the squad already and it's not too far off from the team that challenged for EL spots season before last.

Nagelsmann is there to be a coach, and so its his choice whether to go 3 or 4 in the back and who plays within that system. But he's not there to buy/sell players though I'm sure Rosen will sell off those deemed unusable by Nagelsmann.

I'm not sure if he'll give KJS a fair chance but I don't think Hoffenheim will look too much different next season and this team barely made it across the finish line. Doubt many of these players' roles are cast in stone, with Toljan benched for final match too.

24. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  25. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic