Kill Bill.

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by amerifolklegend, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw it Saturday night, thought it was pretty good. I'm not generally a fan of kung-fu movies, but this one had plenty of great scenes. I'll have to see it again at some point and find all the references that people are talking about.

2. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    fixed your post

3. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    I liked it, plus Rza doing the score was great.

4. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    Ghost Dog had a better score.

The opening w/ that old school funky cinema vision that used to accompany every Godzirra!!! flick was cool. My Dr. Doom CD features that and other clips from the old cartoon series too. The local KTCU 88.7 college radio station has taken to uning the thme song from Maud-"And then There's Maud"-you haven't lived until you've had that stuck in your head all day at work.

The Anime was tight, but way too long.
    Vivica Fox is still a hottie
    The 1v1 fighting scenes were about as cool as anything since Dragon-the Bruce Lee Story.
    I like the costumes
    I wasn't overly impressed w/ the cinematography except the last sequence on the roof top fighting scene in the snow. I loved that eerie sound the water pump was making off screen.
    luved the jet interleaves where all the seats had swords
    Luved the Sushi joint Dialogue-" if you were General, I'd be Emperor and you'd still have to get the Saki!"
    luved how they kept the "city of___" running from jackie Brown
    hated how they depicted texans
    liked the 1st couple of minutes of blk & white fighting but that got old.
    ugly toes--geez!
    "So your name is Buck...and you like to fvck" Wham!
    liked nurse Hannah's evil chinese wistle, and her eye patch too.
    Couldn't he think of a role for Sam Jackson, he's in the other 3? Hoping he's in part 2

like others, I'm not sure how much I liked it.

5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  6. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    The sushi bar was my favorite part. Great scene.

7. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Genius. Sadly, sometimes genius is not enough to make a good film great. It was always a 7 out of 10.

8. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    Uma's toes are the worst I have ever seen, was that a body double?

9. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    Ick!

that's what I was thinking. Even the girl's 'hammer time' toes from Boomerang were better than hers.

I never thought she was all that fly but after seeing those, she's gone way down on the freshometer.

10. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm not a big fan of kung-fu movies and only went to see this because it was Tarantino, and it's possibly his best yet. The whole tempo of the movie, the fight scenes, even the Japanese style animation scene (and I generally hate that stuff) was done brilliantly. The fight scene between Lucy Liu & Uma "broken toes" Thurman was strange in it's pace, but shot fantastically. There is a slight defiance of realism at parts, but that's not a bad thing, as long as it's not ludicrous (Natural Born Killers). If you don't have a 50" widescreen TV with surround sound in a dark room with a Lay-Z-Boy, you need to see this in the cinema.

11. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    I saw the film last Saturday night. Actually, it was my date who chose it, suprisingly enough. Not only did I think it was brilliant, she had a stronger stomach for the blood in the movie. Now if I can convert her into a soccer fan I can marry her. :)

Bill Q.

12. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this film was freakin' incredible. amazing, amazing.

here's my question: will the DVD be Kill Bill in its entirity or will there be two dvds?

13. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    I would have to bet it would have to be in one DVD, because of the fact that it was meant to be that way. However, my bet is the Mouse will market the two parts in two different DVDs then release a "special edition" where the entire movie is whole again.

14. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Sounds about right. They could have a dvd of Vol 1 ready to go a few weeks before Vol 2 (like the Matrix did) so fans can remember what happened. And they better have a version where that fight scene is in color.

15. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    so good, saw it twice. Once on friday, once today. The whistling by Darryl Hannah (according to IMDB, is from a 1968 movie) reminded me of The good, the bad and the ugly, where Clint Eastwood played Blondie/The Man With No Name.

Great song track, but which song was by The RZA again?

16. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAT?!?! A studio will try to bilk the customers by releasing multiple copies of the same movie?!?

I for one hope George Lucas and the Lord of the Rings guy never hear of this. That could be terrible for us consumers!

also, re: the fight scene in color ... I dunno. I kind liked the B&W (which was done to avoid NC-17 as opposed for art) ... but I liked it the way it was. but that's what special features are for on dvds.

oh yeah ... this movie rocks!!!

17. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Rza composed the score, I believe.

18. Scarface

Scarface Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Mexico
    Great. Great Movie.

19. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Just saw it, and I found it to be wildly wildly overrated.

Highly stylistc: yes.
    Extremely clever: yes.
    Funny and diverting at time: yes

But on the negatives:
    - weakest screenplay yet from Tarantino: plays much more in cliche and cheese
    - wooden performance from Thurman, especially her martial arts, which go down as some of the worst ever filmed (despite the frequent and awk stunt doubling)
    - over the top gore, which evokes The Evil Dead more than any kung fu movie I've ever seen

Basically, this movie seems made for a very specific and small audience: the Christian Slater character from True Romance. And even then, it becomes almost a parody of Sonny Chiba movies...

This is not to say I hated it, but it was decidedly mediocre

20. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    Saw it last night, and that pretty much sums up my feelings.

21. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gave it a 2.75 outta 4. I now remember why I didn't watch many Kung-Fu movies on TV during the 70s in NYC. I do like the action parts, Thurman was a tad horrible in her action scenes, couldn't they find someone else?

I do like the dismemberments, reminds me of Japanese Anime, like Fist of the North Star, ya know blood spewing and streaming outta people. The Anime scene was great also.

Just wished they casted this better.

22. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When compared to Quentin Tarantino's hip funky earlier films, "Kill Bill" is not quite as good.

But as an homage to the '70s martial arts genre, combining the simplistic plot elements and the whiz-bang elements of films like "Crouching Tiger..." and Matrix, this was a truly excellent film.

Obviously I'm going to watch "Kill Bill Vol. 2." Can't wait to see how this one ends. No wait, I kinda know ho this one ends, but I still am looking forward to it.

23. Metallifreak

Metallifreak New Member

Jul 19, 2003
    Santa Ana, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I give it three thumbs up!!!!!

My mom wanted to see a movie...She had two choices either Kill Bill or the Texas Chainsaw Massacre...She chose Kill Bill cuz she thought it would be less violent...Man was she wrong!!!!

My mom is traumatized so I am not getting told to take out the trash at this moment...I know she'll snap out of it later on but it will be when Volume 2 comes out.

BTW Uma was very hot and since I don't have a foot fetish, I kinda don't give a crap how bad looking they are and I can't can't complaint cuz my feet are an alligators foot.

Hey BillQ try to take the conversion slow or else she will dump you and you'll be forced to go to Violent movies with your mom like me.

24. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Oh, I know to take it slow. The last LTR I had I tried to do the conversion right away and it didn't take at all. I figure I have all winter to plant the seed until she will want to see the Fire home opener next spring. :)

25. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    I really liked this movie. Enough that I saw it twice. The thing most of the negative reviews I've read forget are that it's low art. At the end of the day - despite the non-linear stuff, despite the reputation of the director, despite the well-known cast - it's a kung-fu movie.

It has a simple, you done me wrong, now you're going to pay story line and yet it leaves gaps, hints at things and does the film brilliantly. The soundtrack is great, the action is great and I didn't think it was particularly violent compared to others in the genre from the 70s.

I thought Tarantino did a nice job of balancing the fantastical parts of the film (it obviously exists in a cinematic world slightly apart from our world, unless all the planes in Japan have 'samurai sword-holders'), yet involving us in the characters. The Bride's reaction after waking up was pretty jarring. The O-Ren creation story was great and helped us understand and sympathise with the character. Even the simple 'Silly rabbit' line came off like an in-joke between the characters and hinted at a previous friendship and closeness despite the fact one was about to kill the other.

Though the story is simple, there was a lot going on underneath - who was she marrying? why did she want out? how did she get in, in the first place? what was the deal with the bride and bill? was there a love triangle between bill, the bride and Darryl Hannah?

I thought the Sushi bar scene was brilliant. It was great for pacing, letting us breathe before the epic fight we all knew what was coming. And by having Sonny Chiba reprise his role as Hattori Hanzo (with former co-star on Kage no Gundan Kenji Oba) it's a great in-joke for Chiba geeks.

I'm hoping a lot of questions get answered in Vol. 2 and I'm hoping the final fight scene can live up to its burden, but the first half is one of the best action movies I've ever seen.

cheers,
    hobbes

P.S. I thought hearing Nancy Sinatra's version of 'Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)' during the opening credits on a great sound system was almost worth the price of admission. I haven't heard a decent song sound that amazing with a little context and sound quality added.