Kik Pierie at Excelsior (olf Ajax)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 20, 2014.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Thanks for the 'Parade of Sponsors.' Did sponsors take over soccer jerseys all at once or country-by-country?

Why is the sc in sc Heerenveen not capitalized?

And what's with all the double letters, especially the double vowels?

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I like this one...
    MB.png

But was more partial to the collared look, like this one...

Ruud.png

Although I didn't love the little collar stripes. I think maybe 99 or 2000 had a solid blue collar? I'll have to look.

4. Thanks, but it's a weird one this year. Empty streets and squares and no parades.
    And no Flying Dutch events in Rotterdam, Eindhoven and Amsterdam too this "celebration".

freisland repped this.
  5. It's not a name. It's for sport club. Heerenveen is the name and thus starts with a capital.

I guess you're pointing at Heerenveen.
    It's the old way of writing when the pronounciation is a long e ( sounds like the a in sale). Modern writings use one, but then followed by one consonant.
    When the pronounciation is a short e ( sounds like the ea in bear or ai in hair), one e is used, but most of the times it is followed by a double consonant.

Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Most/all other SCs (teams) listed have SC in Caps, that's why I asked. Heerenveen only rated a small sc.

Thanks, but that's only one of many (20?) examples, double a's, double u's, double consonants, of course.

7. The same explanation goes with those too, it was to write a longer pronounciation of a vowel.
    To make things a bit more complicated in the old days they also used to add an i to a vowel in order to express a longer pronounciation.:D

Doubling consonants are used to change how the vowel before them is pronounced.
    So "deken" is pronounced with a long e (like in make the a is pronounced)
    "Dekken" is pronounced with a short e ( like the e in Check).

TimB4Last repped this.
  8. However it is being used in wildly different notations. It's not like clubs keep themselves to what's grammatically correct.
    When it's a container expression, like sport club, no caps are used.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    double vowels, consonants, "j" etc. are about pronunciation.

Dutch is horrific to try to read, but if you speak it aloud it's pretty easily decoded in many cases. Try it some time with a nice flat American accent - esp once you know how the double vowels are pronounced vs. the singles and you'll find there's even more similarity to English than you'd notice listening to a Dutch speaker.

TimB4Last repped this.
    freisland repped this.
  11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Only problem with learning Dutch is you have only about 700 other people in the world to speak it with...

BostonRed repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I worked for a couple of months in Amsterdam years ago and one of my colleagues gave up on learning Dutch after 2 years because the Dutch insisted on speaking English with her.

Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Exactly. It's nearly impossible to learn Dutch from "natives" unless you are in the farm country. Anyone in a metro at all wants to speak English, German, French, whatever. The Dutch are like Icelanders - tired of speaking only with their cousins. And they don't want anyone to know the secret code so they can make deals behind everyone's backs!

14. Shut the fup:mad:

freisland repped this.
  15. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #791 Ceres, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020

Well, the problem of several words "evolving" into one word is a problem all over Northern Europe, and so when they get too long and difficult they finally get scrapped like this German word that got scrapped back in 2013 :

Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz

The longest Scandinavian word that officially still is in use, is this one from Denmark :

Speciallægepraksisplanlægningsstabiliseringsperiode

The officially longest word from England is :

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

16. This is the result of the election of the most beautiful Eredivisie shirt of all times:
    Nr 1 Willem II 1959/1960
    Nr 2 Feyenoord 1983/1984
    Nr 3 Ajax 1969/1972
    [​IMG]
    Top drie van het eredivisie shirt festival. vlnr: 2. Feyenoord 83/84, 1. Willem II 59/60, 3. Ajax 69/72 © Eredivisie
    Willem II-shirt verkozen tot mooiste shirt aller tijden

UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  17. I personally think the Willem II shirt would be an epic USMNT shirt, but some time ago I was blasted for that suggestion by quite a few posters.
    I'm convinced they have no clue about shirts.

sXeWesley, Winoman and dougtee repped this.
  18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    And now it turns out neither do your countrymen...

19. [​IMG]
    Heerenveen shirt was one of the most beautiful shirts of a decade.

Winoman repped this.
  20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, one out of 7 ain't bad...

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  21. It would have surprised me when it wasnot one of the most beautiful ones, tbh.

freisland repped this.
  22. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Going on loan to FC Twente, announced by Ajax's twitter

23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I mean...I think we can get this guy.

USSoccerNova and largegarlic repped this.
  24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Any word if he he's expected to play left back or centrally for Twente?