Kik Pierie at Excelsior (olf Ajax)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 20, 2014.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think most just assume he'll play for Netherlands.

Between Pierie, Tillman(2), Shashoua (2), Malone, Anton, Koreniuk, we have a lot of young Americans who are playing for some very good YNT's. If any of these players turn into good players, but not very good players, they'll probably play for us. And even if they do turn into very good players, they might prefer the USA.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    And if one of these turns into a full US International, that would be awesome and unsurprising. I like Koreniuk. Don't forget Siebatcheu.

ChuckMe92 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    There are so many, its easy to forget.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  4. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I didn't even know about Shashoua so I just got excited reading that thread. He made the bench already, Jesus.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  5. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He started and played the first half for Heerenveen in a 16-1 demolishing of an amateur team. He sustained a minor knee injury and was not able to play their second preseason match.

He's not well known among US fans, but I'd say he is truly in the top tier of young dual-nats for the USSF to monitor, up there with Tillman and Shashoua. Not saying it's likely he'll play for the US, but this is someone who's made his Eredivisie starting debut with Heerenveen at age 16 and was the starting left back for the Oranje at the U17 Euros. Worth it for the US to give him a friendly call at some point.

tippco333, ussoccer97531 and Gacm32 repped this.
  6. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Looks very composed and confident with the ball at his feet. Rare for a US centerback, and something need more of outside of Cameron, Brooks and the young guns like CCV, EPB.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Carter-Vickers is not really all that good with the ball at his feet. Glad is much better at it. You are also forgetting Besler who's very good with the ball at his feet. But yeah, we have too many athletic or tall CB's who are getting at slide tackles or headers, but not at passing out of the back.

8. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    CCV is better with his feet than you're giving him credit for, and Besler is vastly overrated playing out of the back. He is ok, but people act like that aspect of his game is on par with Cameron or Brooks, and it just isn't. I think CCV is very good with the ball at his feet. He's not flashy, but he makes good decisions, is accurate with his passes into midfield, and can pay into forwards along the ground when the opportunity presents itself. He can also step into midfield, which is more than I can say for most of our CB's. Hell, Besler rarely steps into midfield. That was part of the problem against Panama, neither Gonzalez, nor Besler, stepped up into midfield to draw defenders in the first half when we were dictating the play.

justinpaul10 repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Key passes for full time CB's in MLS: #1 in 2013, #1 in 2014, #1 in 2015, #2 in 2016, #3 in 2017
    Passes per game among defenders in MLS: #1 in 2013, #1 in 2014, #4 in 2015 (2 among CB's), #1 in 2016, #1 in 2017

Some say his mobility isn't good enough, yet he was timed as the team's fastest player about four years ago. Besler essentially sweeps the passing categories among MLS defenders and center-backs every year, so unless MLS has 0 CB's and/or defenders of any defensive position who can pass the ball. The guy will just never get the credit he deserves. Its really remarkable.

I'm also not saying Carter-Vickers is a bad passer, its very simple, minimalistic. He's not an Omar Gonzalez, but his ball carrying and confidence to play any pass at any time is nothing like it is with Palmer-Brown, Glad or even Tommy Redding. He might be right at the top in other aspects of the game for a CB though. I tend to think in general though that our main young CB's are showing a higher level on the ball than their predecessors, except for Miazga. The less we use these big 6'4, 6'5 logs at CB who can't move or pass, and the more we use more athletic, more technically skilled and mobile players, I think we will improve our possession and build up out of the back.

10. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pull back the reins a touch. You're walking yourself out on a limb no one could in good conscience agree with.

There is literally not anything on a soccer field that Redding can do as well as CCV based upon an overwhelming preponderance of the available evidence.

The rest of the post is fine.

I don't rate Besler that highly, but whatever. He's definitely better than Gonzo, and I'm fine with him being Brooks's backup.

Eighteen Alpha and Gacm32 repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Redding is better than he gets credit for.

He didn't have the best U-20 WC, but a lot of good players haven't. He's been a little shaky the last few weeks with Orlando, maybe its just bad form, I don't know.

He has shown much better in the past at all levels. I thought he looked injured at the U-20 WC, by the way. His movements looked way more awkward than they usually do. He's also a very underrated passer. His strengths as a CB are mobility, passing and his reading of the game. Weaknesses are that he's only about average athletically and isn't that tall or good in the air.

12. 15 year actually.

13. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't usually suggest thread titles but I can't help myself.

Yo Pierie, you wanna come out Heere? Kik Pierie at Heerenveen

14. Given the mutations at Heerenveen and the anticipated ones there is a big chance the Frisians are going into the competition with 16, 17 and 18 year olds in vital places. Those would include Odegaard as right winger (who made a vert good impression in that spot during the try out matches), Pierie as defender and another Norwegian kid I forgot the name of.

Gacm32 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  15. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    We need to really court this kid. I've watched him play, and he is the real deal.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  16. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    How hasn't this happened yet?

17. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Between this and and someone suggesting Horvath's thread to be called Bad and Brugge, there's been some quality

KicksNgiggles and LandonDonovan2018 repped this.
  18. Forgot to mention the source.
    Voetbal International
    https://www.vi.nl/nieuws/odegaard-blinkt-uit-als-rechtsbuiten-bij-sc-heerenveen
    "Achterin slaat een andere jongeling munt uit de dunne bezetting. De afgelopen week pas zeventien jaar geworden Kik Pierie solliciteert naar een basisplaats op de linksbackplek. Bovendien is hij ook de eerste stand-in van het centrale verdedigingsduo Daniel Høegh-Joost van Aken."

In the back line, another young man profits from the scarce manpower. Last week just turned seventeen years Kik Pierie applies for a base spot at the left back position. In addition to that he is also the first stand in for the central defense duo Daniel Høegh-Joost van Aken.

TxEx repped this.
  19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been thinking about when might be the best window of opportunity for the US to court Pierie......and it could be before the 2022 World Cup. The Netherlands missed out on the most recent Euros and probably will miss the upcoming World Cup too. Don't think they'll get past France or Sweden in their group......and that's just to get to the playoff round. Next summer, Pierie will get to watch on TV only one of the teams which he's eligible for. Not because the quality of the Dutch players is bad -- it's better than the US quality on the whole -- but because of the sheer difficulty of qualifying out of UEFA.

The Dutch have young-ish LBs who play for Manchester United, Eintracht Frankfurt, Sporting CP, Crystal Palace, and more. They are also stacked at CB with fairly young players at Wolfsburg, Southampton, Ajax, Bournemouth, Porto, two at Lazio, and more. Yet they will likely miss the World Cup and could potentially miss it in 2022. We have much worse LB depth, and our CB depth is decent but not at the level of the Dutch. (We do have some promising LB youth prospects, but I doubt they will be ready by 2022.) Yet we are essentially a shoo-in to make the World Cup both cycles.

What if in 2021, Pierie is doing very well for his club, more than good enough for the USMNT and deserving of a callup, quite possibly the best left back option for our starting XI, and it's looking like the Oranje won't qualify again? Or the Oranje qualify, but Pierie is considered only as a bench option, or is not in serious consideration because he's still a youth player to them with the depth they have? That may be the time to court him. We offer not only the better chance at the World Cup but also at playing time. I'd say contact him now to let him know we're very interested and we value him due to our scarcity of quality left-sided defenders......then potentially court him sometime in the latter part of the next cycle.

20. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.soccernews.nl/news/397886/Streppel:_Of_er_ervaring_bij_moet_komen

"Age does not tell me so much, so I expect Kik to make a lot of minutes this season", so Streppel discusses the net seventeen-year-old defender in the Friesch Dagblad . "How much it will be, is especially about him. He was fine, did a good job, and it gave him a chance." I think it's very handsome now. " This from Jurgen Streppel, coach of SC Hereveen

ChuckMe92 and Winoman repped this.
  21. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the only article I can find about him talking about the USA, when he was in Florida for the 2015 Nike Friendlies.
    http://www.sc-heerenveen.nl/nieuws/kik-pierie-geniet-van-amerikaanse-trip/10
    Translated:
    Kik Pierie goes to the United States with the selection of Orange under 16, where he participates with the Dutch team in the four-country tournament.

The left-wing defender of sc Heerenveen B1 left last Sunday with the Dutch team to the United States. Fifteen hours took the trip to Florida, where it is six o'clock earlier than in the Netherlands. "I had a bit of a jet lag on the first day, but fortunately no more."

The fifteen-year-old Pierie was born in America, but left the Netherlands a few months later. For the first time, he is back in his native country. "I have not been able to see so much of the country yet, because we have been in the hotel and training grounds." The weather is certainly better than in the Netherlands. "About 25 degrees, so delicious."

At age 15, he played the US U17s in a 2-1 US win in which Josh Sargent scored the winner. Full stream here. He makes a really nice move at the 46:30 mark of the match.

sakibomb523 and Winoman repped this.
  22. The google translate isnot that good, so here it is from me:

During the preparation, Jurgen Streppel made a number of talents at sc Heerenveen take part. Players like Kik Pierie and Dennis Johnsen can count on a lot of playtime, even though the trainer is also realistic.

"Age does not tell me that much, so I expect Kik to make a lot of minutes this season", thus Streppel discusses the just seventeen-year-old defender in the Friesch Dagblad. "How much it in the end will be, is ultimately up to him. He was doing fine, penetrated well a few times and created danger immediately. I think it is very good what he shows at the moment."

Streppel also sees the downside. "Whether we need to add experience (fsf: to the team)? That's what everyone sees in the field," says his telling reaction. "I'm involved, but concentrate on the current player group. We all know very well what we have and do not have and what still needs to happen. I only think as a coach one shouldnot whine too much about it”

Winoman, TxEx and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  23. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey @bungadiri , can this happen? It's the one thing I'm proud of in my life.

24. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    @bungadiri for context Pierre Bourne is a DJ most famous for producing for Playboi Carti more specifically Magnolia (which is a huge hit). His DJ tag is a quote from the some old Jamie Foxx show where he yells "Yo Pierre do you want to come out here" but the DJ Tag is now more famous than the actual quote. This title is absurdly clever and I also endorse it.

Here's Magnolia (WARNING: this song may be fuel to hate our generation more for any old heads, but we like it.)