Kicks Reminder

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by GPK, Jul 26, 2007.

1. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember when you post an link to an article - please use our new feature

https://www.bigsoccer.com/kick

You can also click on New Headline which is a link right next to New Thread at the top of the forum page.

With the new release of Big Soccer, the kick feature will be even more advanced and worth doing.

Thanks

2. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Why are all the admins so completely oblivious to the fact that nobody likes this feature at all?

3. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Cause we are stupid.

4. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in agreement here.

I have no idea what use it is. It's like one of those graphics on early websites that you click to see it animate. woo-hoo.

All it does is put crap on the home page that I'm not interested, and gets in the way of stuff that I am interested in.

5. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So don't use it then. Pretty simple.

But if you are posting an article or link we do recommend using kick.

6. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    FYP :D

On a serious note, I do think it needs some reform. Specifically, I wonder by what formula they age off.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/index.php?page=MLS
    On the MLS homepage right now, there's a kick article "Nicol talks about MLS." The article is 7 days old, has had only 7 kicks, but it's still there, obscuring newer and more important news.

The guess here is that it will never leave unless somebody kicks something newer in front of it--but that's a Catch-22, as it's half the reason people don't.

I can tell the number of kicks affects the order in which they are listed, but at the end of the day that's almost irrelevant.

My suggestion, having no idea whether it's even possible, is that a kick whose average kicks/day goes under a certain number (say, 5) should go away automatically, even if there's nothing to replace it (just the regular N&A threads).

7. cougs2000

cougs2000 New Member

Feb 23, 2007
    I am in agreement with pretty much all of this. Without some major change in the formula, the kicks feature seems pretty pointless.

8. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Yup, its official. Everyone hates it.

9. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Then have i got good news for you alf.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Unless, of course, you have a long first message or post a couple of images in the post.

You folks really do need to make up your minds.

11. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't hate it. I actually suspect that many posters don't understand the feature. :)

12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    how will it be more "worth doing"?

will there be prizes and give-aways?

my issue with kicks is that i don't see the "worth" right now. perhaps come the morning of 7/28 it (the worthwhile-ness of "kicks") will be more obvious to me.

I think that was at the heart of the initial question (in post #2) of this thread: why are you all so stupid? :D

I'm sure there are business and technology reasons for it, but as a simple user/reader, I'd like to know some of the reasons for introducing the "kicks" feature and why and how it "will be even more advanced and worth doing" with the new release on 7/28.

13. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

You mean "worth"?

14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    no, i mean worthwhileness (the noun form of the adjective "worthwhile").

http://m-w.com/dictionary/worthwhile
    -----------
    Main Entry: worth·while
    Pronunciation: -'hwI(-&)l, -'wI(-&)l
    Function: adjective
    1 : being worth the time or effort spent <worthwhile preparations>
    2 : WORTHY 1 <a worthwhile cause>
    - worth·while·ness noun
    -----------

i thought i may have been making up a word (so i included the "-").

but, it turns out, "worthwhileness" is a word. and that get's across exactly what i meant.

the noun "worth" does not fit the intention of my initial post.

------------
    Main Entry: 3worth
    Function: noun
    1 a : monetary value <farmhouse and lands of little worth> b : the equivalent of a specified amount or figure <a dollar's worth of gas>
    2 : the value of something measured by its qualities or by the esteem in which it is held <a literary heritage of great worth>
    3 a : moral or personal value <trying to teach human worth> b : MERIT, EXCELLENCE <a field in which we have proved our worth>
    4 : WEALTH, RICHES
    -------------

so looking back:
    i probably should have gone with "worthwhileness" and not "worth" in that sentence as well. to avoid confusion.

15. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Good Lord, you'll run every point into the ground to get the last word. Not really sure that works at parties.

16. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    it's a discussion board. relax.

if replying to a question (of yours) is construed as an attempt to get the last word, then i apologize.

also, what's a party?

17. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    trying to stay on topic (and not just analyze others' word choice), what are your opinions on the worth of Kicks on bigsoccer?

18. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Everybody hates the kicks. So now your solution is to make every thread kickable? :rolleyes:

19. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This describes me. I simply don't get it. (Ya, Ya, on many levels I know) But if someone could explain the feature to me that would help. And remember, not all of us computer nerds. If you could dumb it down for us that would be helpful.

Many thanks.

:)

P.S. I fear change.

20. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    At the end of the day, the point of using the Kick feature is to maintain the posts with LINKS in more prominent view. The more its seen the more that people will click on those links. This in turn creates traffic between sites and give BigSoccer greater bargaining power with this vendors/clients/supporters/detractors. Watch for advertisements to increase in the future or for their to be ads where there werent any prior!

21. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Dead wrong. Kicks now apply to all thread and are a formula based on kicks, replies, views and other factors to measure the popularity of a thread to give you an additional sorting option.

You will notice kicks now come in two colors, one with links and one without.

22. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes clearly with the posts with the links taking precedent.

23. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    So.... what is the point of kicks?

24. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    In protest, just bury everything you see. :)

Amazing the "you will like this, deal with it" attitude.

25. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's what I'm talking about. Who was complaining before about the way the posts and threads were being displayed? NO ONE! NO ONE WAS COMPLAINING. But you can see that we are "being told" to kick something with a link and that there is a COLOR difference between kicks. The kicks with links have one color and the ones without another. Hence someone is clearly DISTINGUISHING between them. Again I point to the traffic between sites and the probable insertion of ADVERTISING in the future. It's quite simple. Give them something as a gift to lower their defenses and then take something away (the insertion of pay advertising).