Kicker vs Cornerflag

Discussion in 'Referee' started by campbed, Aug 4, 2009.

1. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
  2. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Cause he basically kicked the flag down in order to get to the ball (??) That would be my guess.

3. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tripping (attempted) by the corner flag - restart = DFK from the corner arc!

OR

Outside interference by the corner flag - restart = retake the corner kick (occurred before the kick)

OR

SOTG - Attacking team didn't mean to put the ball in play like that - retake the corner kick (like allowing players to kick the ball into place before taking a kick)

OR

Oh Shit - there was nothing wrong with that kick, but I signalled the CR and he blew the whistle! Let's redo it.

4. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pregame.

Referee told ARs to flag what they thought was the most ridiculous thing they saw in the match.

He'd decide the winner after the final whistle.

Loser buys the beers.

5. DerbyRam54

DerbyRam54 Member

Apr 26, 2005
    You kick the flag, I'll flag the kick, then we're all even.

I don't think I'll be standing quite so close to those springy flags in future either.

6. gkemp

gkemp Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Law 17 says "The corner flagpost must not be moved"
    As the flag obviously moves, this is an improper kick

7. AlextheRef

AlextheRef Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need to remember to add this into my pregame! :D

8. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

and the proper restart is a retake!

It's been a long time since I've reread Law 17.

9. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    Ok, I guess what tripped me up was Law 9. The ball stays in play if it rebounds off the flag post. In this case the ball never touches the flag post, the kicker does.

And Law 17 states indirect/direct kick sanctions for when the ball is in play, in this case the ball is not in play due to the flag post moving.

Retake for sure, or where I was leaning was Trifling, play on.

Not that we need more rules, but perhaps the word "deliberately" should be added to Law 17. The kicker gained no advantage, and clearly did not do it deliberately.

10. Doug the Ref

Doug the Ref Member

Dec 6, 2005
    St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice concept. Pretty slick on the part of the referee. Either way, the Referee gets someone to buy a beer for HIM. He just decides who it will be. :D

11. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Thank you for to this thread. I'm not sure I'd ever considered the Procedure's section in Law 17 before. But consider the fact that it says "The corner flagpost must not be moved." Clearly if a player's arm bumped the post you wouldn't call one back, would you? Someone has pointed out there's no mention of intent here, but what if the statement only refers to the location of the base of the flagpost? If that's the case, isn't the event at hand a non-call?

12. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Here is how I would look at it. Imagine the flag as a solid post. If the kicker could not have completed the kick if the flag was solidly there, then call it back. If the contact would have had minimal impact on the kick, then let it go.

13. slapshot

slapshot Member

Mar 9, 2005
    MA
    Nice one

14. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Yeah, I agree. This falls into the same category as contact that may or may not be a foul. Some things are trifling and other things determine the outcome of possession. Call the ones that do, don't call the things that are trifling.

15. SpartanRef

SpartanRef Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Has anyone ever seen situations where the player taking the corner actually takes the cornerflag out of the ground because it is in the way of his run to the ball? I always thought that was what this portion of the law was meant to prevent.

I've seen players booked for doing this consequently, wondering if anyone else has had this come up in their games.

16. rippingood

rippingood Member

Feb 13, 2004
    LosAngeles
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the AR felt sorry for the kicker - didn't go anywhere near where the kicker wanted it. Like allowing a rethrow for a U10...

17. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've seen several players do this or try to do this - but not for 10 or 20 years! Not worthy of a card - just time for some education. I just had them put the flag back and take their kick with it properly in place. This happened a lot more when the corner flags weren't always standing up straight.

Ahhh! the good ol' days!

18. glutenfreebaker

Oct 3, 2009
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to aggree that the intent of the law saying the corner flag cannot be moved is to mean taken out of the ground and moved out of the way. The laws are also clear that the flag is considered part of the field. With that in mind, I cannot see any reasonable explanation for re-taking the kick. If the player had accidentally banged his foot off the ground in the motion of kicking and miskicked the ball it would still be in play. The laws don't make up for the mistakes of the players, which this obviously was. He tried to quickly take the kick and screwed up.

On a different note, we all know that the flag cannot be removed by the player. There was a situation in a game on a windy day and the flag was one with the spring on the bottom, so it kept blowing in to the player trying to take the kick. So bent it away from the field and stomped on the base of it so it stayed there.

Now, obviously when a player takes the flag out of the ground to move it, we can just tell them to put it back, but what can you do when they just desimate it like that? The best I can come up with is a caution for USB based on "Makes unauthorized marks on the field."

It's pretty thin, but what does anybody else think?

19. DerbyRam54

DerbyRam54 Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Some of the spring-base flags can be more trouble than they are worth. As they get old, the spring seems to lose its tension and the flag won't stay in vertical position.

I have removed these flags when no matter what you do they obstinately point at an angle, because to me that presents a spearing hazard to the players. I know they will give because of the spring, but a player could still end up with the business end of the flag in his face since the drooping flag is no longer the right height.

20. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    This is a pet peeve of mine. Not when the players move or kick the corner flag but when they do not know where to place the ball. I've seen it in U12, U13 rec or competitive teams and below.

They kept putting the ball on the wrong side of the flag, had it in their way, more often than not took a bad swing and kicked the ball out of bound.

Time after time, coach looked at it with no idea how to help his players, some had the audacity to chide the player for taking a bad kick.

I wanted so much to point it out but being a impartial ref, had to keep my mouth shut.

21. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This is silly, being so impartial on a youth game that you can't even advise the player on how not to kick the flag. What you're doing is preventing them from altering the field, a cardable offense. So yeah step in, give them a small instruction on how not to kick the flag, it's not a big deal. Especially on a youth game where learning should be the utmost importance.

22. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I'd love to be able to do that but ... imagine if the player takes my advice, makes a fantastic kick and his teammate scores a goal.
    Is there anyone backing me up if the coaches/ parents of the other team crucify me? Was I not, in fact, coaching for the other team?

23. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I never have parents next to me way down the line that can hear me. Also I disagree that it's coaching to instruct a player not to do something that's illegal.

Think of it like this, you go up to the penalty spot and there's a puddle on it. The player tries to put the ball next to the spot instead but you tell him he can't and instead he clears the water with his foot enough that the ball doesn't float and then he scores. The conveying of common sense shouldn't be suspicious or strange to anyone especially if it's about the game and the possible breaching of laws. That's like saying we can no longer warn players and instead have to only card them.