kick...

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by cardbordwarrior, Aug 13, 2002.

1. cardbordwarrior

cardbordwarrior New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    hey guys... i recently got a publication newsletter for florida soccer and it gave all these tips and stuff and it said that lifting wieghts is good but wont really do ne thing for your power to ur shot so how d o iget more power to my shot?

2. Zero2none5012

Zero2none5012 New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Your shot power mostly comes from your technique. To increase the power you gotta actually do the shot over and over, since many muscles work together when you kick.

3. calcioguy9

calcioguy9 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Wisconsin, USA
    form is most of it, though lifting weights wont hurt. just hit the ball squarely w/ as little spin as possible, and follow through. its good to land on the foot you kicked with.

4. cardbordwarrior

Jul 13, 2002
    thanks for everything guys

5. bigfoot984

bigfoot984 New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Fort Wayne, IN
    i can attest that lifting weights DOES help with power. i lifted weights all through the summer and my shot has WAY more velocity now.....but what everyone else said is true too....technique is way more important, but just for the record, lifting weight does help.

6. SNUSA

SNUSA New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Norman, OK
    Combo

Technique and strength work together. Generally, if you compare people using equally good technique (such as you can measure), the stronger leg will also hit the ball harder.

7. GreenDay

GreenDay New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Estonia
    To be really precice it's the faster leg that's gonna do the strongest kick. There are some really small and bony players that have a mega kick just because their feer mover so fast - it's mostly a genetical thing.

8. SNUSA

SNUSA New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Norman, OK
    Yeah. So instead of working out, you should be attempting to get longer legs. Try gravity boots. :)

9. Zero2none5012

Zero2none5012 New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    How do you take the spin off the ball when you shoot? I'm having a really hard time with that. It's a straight follow-through, a locked down ankle, and hitting the ball straight on with the laces right?

10. GreenDay

GreenDay New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Estonia
    Maybe you forgot to run straight at the ball not from an anlge? It it still spins, you are not hitting the ball to it's center.

11. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    If you look at the shape of your foot with your shoes off you will realize exactly where you have to hit the ball in order to have no spin. If I just kick (with my right foot) without thinking the ball will normally turn a bit to the left.
    In order to take the spin right off the ball (with my right foot)i think like i am gonna hit a ball with a right curve a bit.

Then I drive right through the ball straight at the target and try to feel as much of my foot as possible on the ball.

I think that if you feel the maximum part of your foot on the ball is the most important thing to hitting the ball with no spin.

Try practising juggling fully extending your leg each time and hitting the ball up with no spin (keep your toe pointed) If you have fifa 2002 world cup make your guy on there juggle that is the kind of juggling that i am refering to.

12. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As a attacking midfeilder and striker i can relate a lot to shooting questions and striking the ball with and with out spin. I have a wide ranging skill set from tons of practice and high level play but if there is one thing i am realy good at its shooting and scoring goals. Sometmes unless you are playing on a well kept pitch or an indoor surface you are not going to get an even roll when running so some spin will occur, proper shooting is one of the most over looked and least taught skils around. Sometimes you may be to far to the side of the ball causing an outswinger you can feel it when it hits just to the outside of your first and second metatarsal and the ball pulls to your outside all you need to do it move your self over a bit so you are 6 to 12 inches from the ball when striking it for a more central drive, this may fell funny at first but you will get use to it. Also when you really catch a ball dead center it will have some odd movement on it just from the impact it will knuckle then dip or move in almost a weaving pattern. Sometimes you might be able to put some topspin on the ball but that is eaiser to do off a volley than stright drive. Also remeber that left foot shots just have a more natural hook to them too it has to do with the pull of you body and gravity i guess when you swing though the ball, dont abandon your bending shots for stright power drives though look at Roberto Carlos his left foot free kicks are so power packed they end up weaving and bending all over before reaching the goal. Just make sure your ankles are locked strong and you follow through well and landing on you kicking foot is not a bad idea either for max power

13. gerr18

gerr18 New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    somebody really likes themselves huh?

14. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hey Gerr dont act like a jackass just because I put up a long post, having to do with something I can relate to from playing, I was just explaining my position and thoughts on how to help someone with a probelm they are having if you took the time to read more than the first 2 lines of the post you would see that. I dont need to blow my own horn on a website where nobody would know weather I really have any skill or not, but I figured explaining why I might know a thing or two about the subject matter might be useful so next time you have a comment to make about me or anything I post direct it to me at my email or AOL IM not to everyone that reads the boards

15. gerr18

gerr18 New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    That wasn't even directed towards you. It's an inside joke I have with someone else on here. No hard feelings, ok?

16. faizalenu

faizalenu New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Is your follow through straght.

17. cardbordwarrior

Jul 13, 2002
  18. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    How do you put top spin on the ball while it is sitting on the ground. this guy on my team can do it he does this weird little hop thing, but he says he can't explain how he does it. Top spin is so useful I think and it allows you to put power worrying less about hitting the ball over the bar.

19. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    To put top spin you have to do that little hop and lift your leg stright up as you strike the ball or hit the ball real solid and top spin will come from a knuckling shot its real hard to do I cant really do it all the time but i too have a buddy that gets it on allmost every shot its real crazy because hes left footed too so it has that natural bend to it anyway I think he does a little hop too before he shoots, its eaiser to do it on a volley though

20. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    my friend also does this little hop before he hits the ball and then he always lands on his shooting foot. he is also left footed.

21. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I guess its just a lefty thing over the years i have become as comfortable with my left as my right but i guess if its not you natural stronger foot you just cant do it which sucks for us

22. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    Do lots of ab work. They're as important as the leg muscles. The abs are especially important for lifting the leg up. And strengthen the back muscles too Both muscle groups help get your whole body into the kicking motion.