Ki Sung-yueng @ Newcastle United FC 2018-2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by ChaDuRi671, Jun 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    In Italy, a lazy passive ass can't play in midfield.

2. TigersOfAsia2

TigersOfAsia2 Member

Toronto Maple Leafs
    South Korea
    May 12, 2017
    I don't think a "lazy passive ass" can play midfield anywhere.

The pace of play in Serie A still doesn't come close to the Prem. Not saying one league is better than the other.

3. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    That is debatable. While we know Ki for his prowess in the KNT, he is somewhat of a question mark elsewhere. He did ok at Swansea, he wasn't extraordinary.

4. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Besides winning POTY :confused:

pkk78, Sons of Thunder and Hodori repped this.
  5. kennypowerss

kennypowerss New Member

Manchester United
    South Korea
    Nov 1, 2018
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He was very good on loan at Sunderland as well. Really quality season under Poyet

6. CoreaBafana

CoreaBafana Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Cerro Porteno
    The thing about Ki is that you have to actually do more than superficially watch the game (who scores, etc.) to be able to perceive his quality. One might be surprised to see someone who looks lazy and slow to learn that actual stats show that he is above average in total distance covered. His passing may seem just to be above average, but more careful viewing will reveal that he is actually outstanding, with a eye in creating real chances.

But most people want to see who scored and are noticing only things that seem more flashy. That's why he maybe more of a "question mark elsewhere". The blame is not on Ki, it's the "elsewhere" so called experts that are hardly experts.

Hodori repped this.
  7. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    I'm talking about in the context of the entire league, not just swansea. Had he been selected as the best XI in PL, it would be a different story.

8. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Even Son's best season for Tottenham might not qualify for PL Best XI. I don't know where you're getting this insane benchmark from.

9. CoreaBafana

CoreaBafana Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Cerro Porteno
    Might as well claim that since he was never a candidate for Ballon d'Or, that he isn't very good.

skimmilk and Hyok repped this.
  10. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Ki is your average run of the mill Premier Leaguer (at best). Props to him he carved out a long career thus far in the league and to his longevity. But he does not stand out in his position or as one of the best midfielders in the league. He ain't no Kante.. This talk of Best XI in his best season is nonsense lol.

11. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    All im saying is that while Ki has incredible talent, he's just one of many people in the talent pool who are just as good. The guy I was quoting said the "fans and managers know who he is". That may be true for a small minority, but the fact of the matter is that not a lot of people are familiar with Ki.

In contrast, Son is widely recognized throughout the football community. He's won PL of the month a couple of times, was top FA cup scorer, and he's a highly coveted FUT card (as dumb as that sounds, it's still recognition). Of course, Son gets more credit cause he scores goals and is more flashy. Ki's abilities, on the other hand, are less flashy and less prone for recognition.

GoonerDoz repped this.
  12. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Except he was called out by Mourinho as being key to his team, was noticeable engine behind a cup finals appearance with Sunderland, is a NT captain and so on which are all things that any reasonable manager should notice given Ki playing in PL.

Top leagues outside of PL are filled with PL exports of far lesser talent than Ki, many with lots more wear on the tires.

13. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    Sunderland was ages ago tho.

14. cappuccino_kid

Oct 23, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Starting vs Burnley

seolseol and nmssis repped this.
  15. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Newcastle up by two goals already in the first 25 minutes.

16. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    GK mistake...2-1

17. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    newcastle can use a keeper like cho hyunwoo in their squad

GoonerDoz, Kanuck and nmssis repped this.
  18. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    How is ksy looking?

19. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Wow, what a miss. I could have scored that one, probably. LOL.

20. cappuccino_kid

Oct 23, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Ki was very tidy. A lot of the play going through him. Three wins in a row with Ki playing.

21. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good game by Ki! 3 straight wins now.

GoonerDoz repped this.
  22. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  23. poebae

poebae Member

Juventus
    South Korea
    Feb 1, 2007
    Sydney
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I watched the match and thought Ki was doing pretty well, but maybe I subconsciously underrated him because I'm aware of my own bias.

What I find interesting is that his performances are hardly ever praised during the actual match, but to the trained eye he gets a lot of credit in hindsight.

From Newcastle's subreddit:

24. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  25. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I thought his performance was just fine as he didn't have to do too much, but it seems press who follow NUFC are very happy with a CM who doesn't turn the ball over every other time:

nmssis and Kanuck repped this.