Ki Sung-yong @ Swansea City AFC 2016-17 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by wetcrispy, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    as long as he's captain of KNT. But if he passes armband along given that he won't be at next WC...

seolseol repped this.
  2. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    no wonder he revealed his intention to retire from KNT after 2018. LOL.

3. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    just to be clear he hasnt revealed any intentions to retire and only thing hes made it clear to the fans is that hes frustrated from his recent national team experience

if we are going strictly by what hes said, he said few years ago hed like to stay healthy and fit until 2022 so that he could participate in some capacity. more recently he said he sees a lot of hope in the younger prospects korea has been producing ('different from previous gens' is what he said) and hed love to play alongside them

Sons of Thunder repped this.
  4. Bom23

Bom23 Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    How grim does our national team's prospects look... from the current setup to the youths, everything is a disappointment. I even believe that Ki, who is undoubtedly our best player in a KNT shirt, could have been so much more than what he is now if he only made a move to a bigger club earlier in his career. He has so much desire when playing for the national team, like during the Asian Cup Final (remember he was trying so many different things, like that panenka free kick and such that, while often ineffective, displayed innovation and creativity) and it is such a stark contrast to these uninspired performances he mails in, when he plays at all. I doubt we will ever see a Korean player like Ki again in our lifetimes, as he is a rare specimen even in world football today (tall, uber intelligent central midfielder with pinpoint passing and ball retention/dribbling, with finishing flair), yet he is mishandled at a relegation-battling club like Swansea, where crappy managers come and go like a merry-go-round and is benched for the likes of Leroy Fer and Jack Cork. I honestly believe he could be at the level of Arteta~90% of Busquets if he was coached by a world class manager like Pep. Tbh, this generation of KSY-KJC-LCY-PCY-JDW-SHM-KBK-HJH-JSR is probably the closest thing to a golden generation Korea has ever had, with plenty of prospects looking ready to receive the baton from Park Jisung; yet, misfortune and stupidity and mismanagement has managed to squander this chance. Now, when Ki retires, there are no players who seem ready to take up the mantle as salvager of the Korean National Team, with stars like Son who are extremely inconsistent and ill-fitted to be the focal point of the team and youths like Lee Seungwoo and Paik Seungho disappointing, due to either overhype, FIFA ban or both. I can only hope that this next season, our foreign-based players make smart career moves and receive consistent playing time/return to peak form, with familiarity breeding strong KNT performances leading to a solid showing at the World Cup with Stielike surprising after more time with the team. I hope that LSW and PSH and JGH(who tends to be forgotten) can find European clubs who can nurture them to be stars, and LKI can develop to be world class without drama.

chook90 and aeh1991 repped this.
  5. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Let's be honest, this ain't gonna happen. But good post even if you went too far sometimes.

6. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    Hate to be the naysayer and this was somewhat well thought out but lets keep it real shall we? Wheres the sense of accountability here? Everything's a blame game around here.

We've all gotten to see Ki's development over the years, and while I always saw the talent in this guy, his mentality and overall bitch factor always seemed to be the culprit behind his overall failures. You dont remember the patterns at each and everyone of his clubs? His benchings at each club? There are very good reasons why Park JS and him never got along and they had nothing to do with his skill-level.

This pervasive 'Why me?' attitude seems to be the norm around here. We aren't going to get anywhere thinking this way.

7. jisungpark

jisungpark Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Ki the most overrated Korean player of them all.

8. Bom23

Bom23 Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    another idiot

9. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Maybe Bom went overboard with his 90% Busquets assessment, but you're way off the mark as well. It will be a sad day when Capt. Ki hangs up the boots for KNT, and just like PJS's departure, we'll see that the dropoff is quite real. You don't know what you have until it's gone..

12th Player and Hodori repped this.
  10. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  11. jisungpark

jisungpark Member

Dec 7, 2016
    At least when it comes to our national team he's been nothing more than a back passing bystander. He shouldn't ever be mentioned in the same sentence as me.

12. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Ki Sung-yong is not the biggest culprit of this in our NT.

chook90 repped this.
  13. Bom23

Bom23 Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    red card worthy statement

14. pkk78

pkk78 Member

Feb 10, 2004
    Club:
    Real CD España
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    calm. he is just two seasons past the one where he was one of the best midfielders in the premier league. he is still only 28 and has a game that will age well. i can actually see his peak being from now until 32...34 if he is committed and lucky. whether he is committed post having had a child, settled family life etc is a separate issue. we will know next season whether there is one late bloom in him to come. its not about talent though. he has that in spades.

15. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    To think, Ki could have been warming the bench for the CL final today. :laugh:

BTW he was a key part of our 2010 WC and 2012 Olympic sides, which is the last real success KNT has had. Back passing bystander lol.

10August2012, Hodori and chook90 repped this.
  16. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    He should go to a mid-table club in Germany imo.

seolseol repped this.
  17. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    n take LCY with him

seolseol repped this.
  18. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I agree with this in terms of his pure physical skillset. However, his mental game is not well suited for longevity imo.

19. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Why? How does this benefit Ki? What's the difference between playing for Swansea and mid-table BL club (of which, it might require him to take a paycut)?

20. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Just my personal wish to see him playing there. If he stays a regular in Swansea I'm also fine with it.

seolseol repped this.
  21. jisungpark

jisungpark Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Might as well have retired from international football after 2012. Backpassing bystander ever since.

22. Gash Basher

Gash Basher Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    First Gerrard, and now Ki is 90% of Busquets. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: These boards never fail to amuse me.

seolseol repped this.
  23. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    btw, a Chinese outlet claimed that Francesco Guidolin is the likely replacement for Choi Yong Soo at Jiangsu.

I guess that means KSY -------> Jiangsu is confirmed

wetcrispy repped this.
  24. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hope so, KNT needs another player in CSL. Specially their captain.

25. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #725 ChaDuRi671, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    I'm pretty sure if he wanted a Swansea player, he would go for someone like Sigurdsson.

Also, why would he go to a league that enforces a foreign player rule that allows the purchase of 5 foreign players, but only allows 3 foreigners to be on the field at one time. This is why some Korean players are coming back to the K-League or looking elsewhere to play.

killaorca repped this.