Ki Sung-Yong @ Celtic FC 2009-2010 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Randomized, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    I cast my vote for him to leave.©
    He looks unsettled but on the other hand actually staying and fighting for a spot would build some mental fortitude.
    Hard to say really.

2. Fushida

Fushida Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Canada
    I think after seeing Lee Chung Yong, most teams will be willing to take a chance on Korean players. Sitting on the bench at Celtic won't help, and I doubt this new guy Lennon will be much more of an improvement if they thought Mowbray was emphasizing an "expansive" and "passing" game. I think SPL just doesn't really suit Ki's strengths.

3. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pffftt...Mowbray is a joke. Ive tried to keep a lid on it and give the guy and the team the benefit of the doubt. This is beyond disappointing to me. I hope no more Koreans are fooled into being led by this guy in his next stint. If this turns into another KDH incident I might lose it here.

This situation is horrible for Ki in my book. Chances are he's going to show up to South Africa sharp as a bowling ball. More importantly, careerwise this has the potential of burying him under the carpet.

4. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I wasn't aware that I was getting bent out of shape. I thought I had asked a simple question regarding one of your posts.

Anyhow, I was querying your wild generalistion that playing for Celtic is akin to football career suicide. When I asked you to expand on this you then used Nakamura as an example. :confused:

Are you suggesting that Nakamura's career went downhill when he left Reggina for Celtic? Or are we talking about his subsequent move to Spain? If it's the latter then I don't buy into the argument that the SPL ruined his career. There have been more than a few players with a similar physique to Naka who performed well in Scotland and remained relatively injury free. McGeady is an example. Lubo Moravcik also springs immediately to mind.

McGeady isn't having the best of seasons but are we to believe that his career has been a constant struggle and he hasn't improved during his time with the club? Did Stilian Petrov not improve as a player when he joined from CSKA Sofia at the tender age of 20? Has Artur Boruc not improved since being at the club?

I'm not suggesting for a minute that Celtic are Scotland's version of Ajax but to suggest that a young player has blown it by joining the club seems like a huge reach to me.

I agree with that. We sit at home matches and wonder why we would continue to bypass the midfield and play long, high balls up the park for Keane to compete for. It made no sense. I can understand using that tactic on a poor pitch but the surface at Celtic Park is of a very high standard.

There's no excuse for it. And therein lies the main reason why Tony Mowbray has gone. His style of play left fans, and I'd imagine players, bewildered. His tactical ability was called into question repeatedly due to dubious and strange substitutions. On Wednesday when we were 2-0 down it looked like we were trying to play a 3-1-6. What kind of formation is that in todays modern game?

I've always liked Tony Mowbray as a person and I'd hoped he'd succeed as manager of Celtic but it's been a disaster for the most part.

I understand your reservations and I have no way of knowing what Neil Lennon is thinking but don't think that because of his style of play when he had his boots on that he doesn't appreciate good footballers.

I read an interview with Koki Mizuno about 4-5mths ago and although he has struggled to make any sort of impact at the club the person that he stated as helping him out the most was Neil Lennon.

I'm actually looking forward to going to the match on Saturday. It'll be interesting to see what sort of team he picks and how they play. I'm expecting a big, big improvement over Wednesday. Although it couldn't really get much worse. Could it...? :eek:

5. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    I was utterly baffled when Mowbray brought Rasmussen on in addition to having Fortune on as well. Celtic then proceeded to concede a goal or two more due to gaping holes in midfield.

Part of the frustration, if you want to call it that, that you probably see on this thread is a volatile mixture of the knowledge that Ki Sung-Yong is very talented in addition to the disappointment of not seeing him play week-in and week-out (I blame heightened expectations, perhaps a consequence of Lee Chung-Yong's success as well as seeing other young players of Ki's generation being benched in Europe for less-than-straightforward reasons) and the general displeasure of seeing Celtic lose/tie/even win in such an ignominious fashion...all within a World Cup year I might add. It's reactionary at best but certainly no reason to slag off the club because of it. I for one stand by my assertion that stylistically it's not the best fit for him league-wise but then the same could be said, perhaps even more convincingly of Lee Chung-Yong and Bolton.

As for things getting worse, I think Celtic have hit rock-bottom, even for their usual high standards within the SPL. I think it wouldn't take much to be considered an improvement. But you never know...perhaps...

Kilmarnock 5 - Celtic 0 ?! :confused:

For sure the midfield needs to be sorted out. I have rarely seen a team go through so many different players in midfield without settling on one or two consistent formations, especially this late in the season. I thought TM had settled recently, judging by a decent run of results, but apparently not. I'm not entirely convinced he knew how best to deploy Ki Sung-Yong either -- it seems he had ideas of playing him as another Donati (which I hope he doesn't become) initially, but then gave it up, and then reverted...I was/am confused. Bypassing midfield doesn't help either, especially when McGeady's delivery has had a lot of ebb and flow to it this season.

6. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Neil Lennon and Johan Mjällby as new managers I hear?

7. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Our previous two managers, as I include Gordon Strachan in this, have had rather strange views on how best to deploy their midfielders.

Donati was, for want of a better expression, a poor mans Andrea Pirlo. He liked to get the ball off the defence and build from that position. He could spray some lovely cross field passes about the pitch. And yet, GS signed him and proceeded to play him as a box to box midfielder.

Maybe having Lennon in, even in a temporary role, may see some semblance of normality return to Celtic's midfield area.

8. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    I agree with you on both points that you make. I think scouts are becoming much more interested and open to the possibility of taking Korean players on the basis of sheer talent (although an inexpensive price tag is a welcome factor), especially youth players, as they realize that they might be able to acclimate to and develop within the European environment quickly after a few years and that with a burgeoning group of Korean players plying their trade abroad, there is enough of a support network and precedent to suggest that adapting wouldn't be as difficult as it has been for some in the past and thereby lowering some of the risk associated with signing. Also considering all the development programs the KFA has organized in tandem with some prominent clubs and now with the Spanish FA, don't be surprised to see more of this current U-17/U-20 batch venture off into Europe.

As I've said before, given the choices available to him at the time of his signing with Celtic, I was not fond of his move to the SPL. Although it's well-documented that he currently aspires to become a star player in the EPL, the media's reinforcement of Ki Sung-Yong as the 'Korean Gerrard', perhaps more of a moniker fostered by a clever PR agent than a nickname for the player, only sets himself up for disappointment should he experience setback(s) along the way as well as potentially limiting prospects for another club. I hope this is not the case.

9. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Yes, I've from what I've seen and heard Donati was in the mould of Pirlo and quite good at splaying accurate passes around the pitch. Shame he had to go back to Bari as I thought he was a decent player.

I hope Lennon doesn't turn out to be just another acolyte of the manager whose tenure he happened to be an understudy to and displays his own sense of independent decision-making and tactical thinking. It would be refreshing.

10. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Celtic won 3-1 vs. Kilmarnock but Ki didn't make it on the pitch.

11. Klogon

Klogon Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    A player of Ki's quality not playing is absolutely ridiculous. He needs to get out of there.

12. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Panic much?

13. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    Nope, I just worry© ;)

14. JL104

JL104 Member

Jan 29, 2006
    got out of lurking for this.
    going back to lurking

15. Klogon

Klogon Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I'm not the type to panic, but this is a World Cup year my friend. =D

16. Koreafan

Koreafan Member

Jan 1, 2010
    agreed. If this wasn't a world cup year, I think we would all be more patient about his playing time and match fitness.

17. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Ki's mentality/confidence as well. It would be ideal if he went to SA brimming with confidence but now who knows? He's a young guy, probably mature for his age but I wonder if he's questioning himself now.

18. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What's the point in all this panic now? He made the Celtic move in mid-season, knowing that he'll be in for a transitional period. Leaving Celtic isn't even a possibility until after the WC, so this is a moot concern.

This whole talk about how he's too good for Celtic is laughable.

19. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I for one never said Ki was too good for Celtic, but rather raised the opposite question of whether Celtic is too good or has too much depth for Ki to break in, considering where he is as a player right now. Therefore I think it's also valid to question whether going to Celtic was the right move considering that it is a World Cup year and we need Ki to be sharp come June.

If anyone said what you pointed out Sky, I'd be quick to dismiss their claims also. The whole 'Lee to Liverpool' rumor has become somewhat of an embarrassment also.

20. CanadianGook

CanadianGook Member

Jun 16, 2005
    i completely agree with you.

21. metalcafe123

metalcafe123 New Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    I wonder who that Jk guy is from the Bolton forum. I'm pretty sure he posts here.

22. footballchic

footballchic Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Bruges
    Club:
    CFR 1907 Cluj
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Ki didn't make the wrong move. He would have been on the bench in any other league. As I indicated before, he should have been keeping somewhat fit, if he was expecting to join a club in the middle of its season.

23. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'm a japanese supporter but still...I think Ki is naturally has more potential than Nakamura. More naturally talented than everyone on the celtic side.

They bought Mizuno, Zheng Zhi and Ki Sung Yueng all for shirt sales I'm afraid. He needs to get out right away.

Why are asian players going to the SPL it pretty much stands for all the opposites of an east asian player's strength.

24. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Either the shirt sales or they need help with the Chinese/Japanese/Korean restaurant they want to open @ Parkhead.

25. cha doo ri

cha doo ri Member

Jul 17, 2004
    L.A.
    why is it ki sung YUENG? makes it look like his from hong kong and sh1t