Kezar Pub on Saturday

Discussion in 'California Victory' started by Delle Alpi, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey all big day Saturday Arsenal v Man City as well as my beloved Serie A kicking off. Is anyone going to the pub to watch games this weekend. I wouldn't mind going but I hate to sit there alone. So if anyone is up for going I'm in.

2. Californiaspurs

Californiaspurs New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Dude,

Bet you enjoyed the landslide Juventus victory on Saturday; Citeh result not so good.

Living 45 miles from the City I took the liberty of watching at home with a pot of tea and a designer breakfast. With the English league back I'm in footballing heaven although normal service has been resumed and the glory hunter big four are slowly but surely reasserting themselves after a wobbly start for at least one of them (ManUre).

I'm fortunate to have a local pub just 4 minutes drive away here in Cupertino to see the Setanta games (gonna watch Bristol Rovers v West Ham and Bristol City v Man City during the week), but a part of me wishes I lived in the City so as to check out more games with the SF contingent of Victory, Seals, and Quakes fans, plus the City has so much more culturally to offer.

Having said that, I love the sunshine down here and the ease of parking, plus life's a little less frenetic in suburbia. And if I had time, the Santa Cruz beaches are just 25 mins away.

Miss my house in Redwood City, though. 25 mins to the City or San Jose, central to just about everything in the Bay Area. And the home of the Ruckus!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more game in the BAUSL season. Bye bye 2007.

3. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where will you be watching Citeh on Wednesday, if at a pub maybe I will come down your way for the match. You will have to make it down for a day a Kezar though once we setup a 1906 outing that is. I am still in heaven over Juve's start but realistic, it was only Livorno.

4. Californiaspurs

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Brit on Wednesday for City v City

DA:

Hey only just checked this thread. My local footie hang-out is the Britannia Arms in Cupertino (technically it is 1087 De Anza Blvd., San Jose, CA, 95129 if you want to google directions) which is where I'll be for tomorrow's game Bristol C. vs Manchester C. for the League Cup encounter.

There's a regular down there, Steve, who is also the quizmaster, an American who has become an English futbol fan and has adopted The Citizens as his team. Like you, he chose them because they're not Manchester United! Even better, the most hardcore United fan there, who once gave me hell for wearing a Maine Road t-shirt at a Manchester derby game (knowing I was really a Spurs fan), actually brought back Steve a Citeh replica to wear, which blew me away.

Tony it's a long way for you drive down, I'm sure there's always more City fans at the games in SF, there's certainly a lot more Spurs fans in the City than down here, but if you show up, I'll buy you lunch.

Come on City. I was disappointed that Rovers lost against the Hammers today, the least Sven's sky blue army can do is beat the Bristol reds.

Disclaimer: the closest I have ever been to Bristol was on the nearby motorway on a QPR bus from London to see the Hoops in a play-off at the Millennium Dome, so I have no local reason to support the Pirates over the Robins, except (a) they are the team in the city that's blue and (b) they're the underdogs of the city.

The other thing I like about Bristol is that it gave us Massive Attack. Although this particular video looks most definitely like it was located in LA not Bristol lol.

Yes count me in for future 1906 events when work and energy allow, I'm looking forward to the final Victory game and I'm sure we can find an excuse to set up a Vics/Seals/Quakes BBQ at a future event in the City sometime soon.

Sven's Blue and White Army!

[​IMG]

5. RoundBallNewbie

RoundBallNewbie New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    DC in exile
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's incredible, the Brit has a location here in Monterey and it could not be more awful. It doesn't carry Setanta or GolTV, and its soccer-friendliness is pretty dubious unless the owner's around. Definitely no early morning openings for FSC matches, either. Trying to watch Spurs around here is definitely a losing proposition.

6. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't get down to the Brit today, work screwed that up but I hope to see my Spurs friends soon. It looks like we have a tailgate in the works for the last Vics game so maybe I will see you there. Details to follow.

7. Californiaspurs

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Tailgate for Victory v Carolina

Round Ball Newbie I can't even remember if I've actually been into the Monterey Brit, if I have, it was so long ago I don't recall anything about it. It is a shame that a number of English style pubs don't really cater for the English football crowd. [You live in one of my very favorite parts of the entire world--I love the Monterey peninsula. Might move there in fact.]

I think on the West Coast it has partly to do with very early start times to most games which fall well outside normal pub opening hours.

Other factors are Setanta over-pricing their product to commercial outlets [rugby even more so]; a dedicated footy fan being involved with the pub who understands what it means to ex-pats: most Yank owners or managers can't see the point, especially when Bud will do their Monday Night (American) Football promotions for them and all they do is rake in the bucks; and so on.

Plus we have moved from a time when live English football in the US was almost non existent even in pubs (just the odd national game and Cup Final or pirated Canadian satelite channel), through a brief moment when bars could theoretically capitalize on the Prem's surging popularity, to or new era when fans can get more than they can digest on their home theaters or at their computers. The US pub linkage with UK footie passed by so fast it was a brief blip on the radar screen. This means the social aspect of being a fan never really has taken off over here.

Luckily we have message boards so things like BBQs at live matches can be pre-arranged, and it's great to hear confirmation from Delle Alpi that there will be a pre-game tailgate for the final league game of the Victory on Sept 8 vs Carolina.

Re the game today, three quality goals especially the winner from Bianchi. Manchester City are quite pleasing on the eye these days.

Plus Citeh fans still hold the award for the best existential terrace song of all time for their version of the cockney classic "Knees up mother Brown":

"We're not really here
    We're not really here
    We're not really
    We're not really
    We're not really here
    "

I also got a laugh out of the Spurs chant at OT last Sunday to Tevez to the tune of "Gauntenamera":

"Shit Maradona
    You're just a shit Maradona
    Shit Maradona
    "

and the usual "wot a waste of money" to Michael Carrick.

Unfortunately the hilarity was somewhat diffused by the loss. O well. Fulham next at the Cottage.

"USA USA, by how many goals will you lose today?" Will be nice to see Keller in the Prem again, though. For the first time in my life I will be hoping he gets beat. Great bloke, though, just like the unfortunately injured McBride, who has done well against Spurs in previous games. And, of course, they've got more, but that's a topic for Yanks Abroad.

BAUSLs here, BAUSLs there, BAUSLs every ------- where!

[​IMG]

8. RoundBallNewbie

RoundBallNewbie New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    DC in exile
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Tailgate for Victory v Carolina

Heh, want to trade places? I actually can't stand Monterey, I'm very excited to leave next year and never, ever come back. But send a PM if ever you're down this way (especially early next year after I'll finally have been to the Lane) and I'll buy you a beer. We actually do have one good pub that, while not any better for soccer watching, has great food and booze and is run by some awesome Scots.

9. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Tailgate for Victory v Carolina

Come on, Fulham!
    Come on, Fulham!
    Come on, Fulham!

Four yanks on the roster now? Isn't that a record? I was afraid when they got rid of Coleman they'd spread the Yanks to the winds, but they've kept them and even added one! :) Too bad they have been playing so poorly they're likely to be in another relegation battle, or worse...

10. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just wondering if anyone is thinking of heading to Kezar or the Mad Dog for any of the Euro 08' Qualifiers Sat? Lots of great games:

England vs Israel -- 9am
    Italy vs France -- 11:30am
    Poland vs Portugal -- 1:30pm

Those are just those most exciting IMO of course - :) And a great build for the tailgate.

11. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I'll probably be there.