Keyser Soze: And like that - poof! - they're gone. YNT players who've disappeared

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sandon Mibut, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Evidently heading to Portugal for a lower-division trial next month.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/overseas-opportunity-for-chad-poarch.2092144/

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    How about David Arvizu? Anyone know what ended up happening to him?

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    He's popped up on the fall roster as a senior at Utah Valley U. His bio doesn't mention anything post-College Park.

https://gouvu.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6853&path=msoc

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    No one listens to TSS? Pretty sure Gallardo is with the Richmond Kickers this year and doing pretty well. Though they are USL1, I think.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  5. Herewego2019

Herewego2019 Member

Stoke City
    United States
    Jan 23, 2019
    Dough Boy repped this.
  6. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    Yup. Some incredibly bad luck with injuries contributed to our lost generation(s). Charlie Renken, Joe Gyau, Marc Pelosi, Stuart Holden, Charlie Davies.

onefineesq repped this.
  7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a weird one... Only one was USYNT but Nyköpings BIS in the Swedish third division has three players with MLS connections, a really random group too. All around the same age but no other connection that I can see, maybe the same agent, or an American on the coaching staff?

3 [​IMG] DF Francis de Vries (24)
    13 [​IMG] FW Coy Craft (22)
    15 [​IMG] MF Ryo Fujii (22)

I believe Craft was (maybe still is) dating Hunt's daughter when he was at FC Dallas, and Fujii was the first Galaxy homegrown signing to have his schooling at CSU Dominguez Hills paid for.

8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That club has an American manager, Brian Clarhaut.

Wikipedia is out of date, though. Craft and Fujii left after the 2018 season for parts unknown, while de Vries is with another third tier club in Sweden.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most mysterious YNT player who I can't get a hold of is '02 Ruben Hernandez, supposedly a forward from Club Leon's setup and Manteca, CA native who was named to the preliminary US U17 Nike Friendlies roster. I haven't been able to find anything about him beyond the US roster release at the time. Nothing about him ever showed up on Liga MX's website. And this was a somewhat recent call-up for the current U17 cycle to a not-insignificant roster. He's disappeared, but also we never knew much about him to begin with. Even a guy like Chris Nicola has an IG that you can try to check up on him if you want, but I couldn't find anything for Hernandez on social media. Personally, I think Hernandez is the winner for most mystifying YNT player.

10. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #35 ChuckMe92, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    The elusive search is over. I can confirm that this is indeed the same Ruben Hernandez who was called to the Nike Friendlies. Was never registered with Leon and is currently with Xolos U17, listed as a defender. He was part of the Xolos side that won the GA Cup Premier Division championship this year. His IG has him in official US gear in Florida at the time of the Nike Friendlies.
    https://sub17.ligamx.net/cancha/jugador/137128/eyJpZENsdWIiOiA1NX0=/ruben-hernandez-arcadia

Edit: from his IG, at the team hotel in Florida.

Attached Files:

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Silva didn't end up at UVU. Apparently he was on the roster at NISA Stumptown Athletic. That league describes itself as professional, so I guess this constitutes a pro contract.

https://stumptownathletic.com/roster/diego-silva

His bio says he also has a college degree.

12. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Brazil-based Rongen-era U20 Kevyn Batista is one of those that had been driving me nuts for a while. I happen to come across this video, posted last month...

... that pointed me toward a "Kevyn Bautista" who spent the 2015 season (perhaps more, but that's not clear) at Richland, a Texas junior college that appears to have a good program. I'm too lazy to look it up right now but I think he played alongside Juan Agudelo's brother.

https://www.njcaa.org/sports/msoc/2015-16/div3/teams/richlandcollege?view=roster

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Richland College is a Junior College powerhouse in DFW. The Thunder Ducks!!!

I thought Santiago Agudelo (who I think is Juan's cousin; not brother) transferred from RIchland to Hays College. But maybe not. He's on the Hays 2019 roster, but doesn't seem to have played for them. Did he really play for Richland, transfer to Hays, and then transfer back to Richland!!!?
    https://fhsuathletics.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster

Folks will remember that Santiago was pretty prolific with the FCD academy teams.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I can't tell whether you're expressing disbelief or you're actually wondering these things, but in any case, it seems that our two links put together equal one answer and, yes, Agudelo played with KB in 2015 and is now at Ft. Hays. He had a good season!

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Rice was in the NPSL last year with ASC San Diego.

https://www.npsl.com/10595/

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Think we need to add 2017 U20 Abu Winter, a '97, to this thread. He seems to have fallen off the map.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking about how Jackson Yueill will probably head to Europe soon, and I remembered his MN buddy Mukwelle Akale.
    (Remember how the two were regarded when the former went to college while the latter went to Spain...)
    No Wikipedia page, Transfermarkt says Akale is no longer with Villareal:
    https://www.transfermarkt.us/mukwelle-akale/profil/spieler/336170
    Where is he now? Surely some MLS team would give him a shot if he wanted to come back to the US (see Joe Gyau in Cincy... or is he more of a Junior Flores situation)?

And then the "comparable" section led me on an interesting journey of similarly aged players, Amir Bashti (not signed as a homegrown by San Jose, now with ATL2), Christian Lucatero (went to Mexico, now back with RGV), Orrin McKinze Gaines (he's from Austin maybe their MLS team will bring him home), Victor Mansaray (following the Lee Nguyen career path to Vietnam)...

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Gaines just signed with Hannover II.
    https://sbisoccer.com/2020/07/hannover-signs-american-winger-mckinze-gaines
    His brother Julian Gaines, was also a USYNTer. He's completely fallen off the radar, but maybe that's premature. He signed for Austin Bold of the USL.

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many players can you name (and why are there only 10)?

[​IMG]
    (Don't actually name them or you'll ruin it for others. I got 7)

Quite the range here, from the guy who often looks too good to MLS, to the one arrested for sending pictures of his genitals to a minor...

21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. I'm forgetting who #16 is — it'll probably be someone obvious now that I wrote this. Of the rest, I believe all are 93s or 94s and seven of the nine are out of soccer despite being age 26/27.

22. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    #47 butters59, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    I've seen #11 somewhere. He wasn't good enough for that famous 2013 U-20 team.

23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I believe #4, the keeper and #11 were on MLS rosters this year.

24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's one of the three I don't recognize.
    Wait isn't #4 Will Packwood? Sure looks like him, and the right age and height (and likely position based on process of elimination)... Packwood certainly wasn't on an MLS roster this year, he hasn't played professionally since 2015. At least he has the best excuse having broken both his legs.
    That's what led me to post the photo in this thread... We hit on 1 of the 10 (to be fair it was a bullseye, if not a starter or substitute definitely someone who would make the A-team 23 man roster)... the other who is still playing l maybe did more harm than good by starting ahead of Matt Turner for a while!
    Hey he's no... you know what I can't even be bothered to make a joke about it smh
    https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/uswnt-u-20-17/2013/6/7/4406402/2013-u-20-world-cup-usa-roster
    Playoff hero Shane O'Neill would have belonged in this thread a couple years ago!

25. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #16 might be Dan Metzger.

xbhaskarx repped this.