Kevin Stott announces retirement

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by gaolin, Sep 30, 2022.

1. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019

2. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    What a truly remarkable career. To be able to last that long in a league that has churned and burned through so many officials and administrators is quite an achievement.

I will say reading this press release made me realize that he got the shaft in terms of prestigious assignments by PRO and US Soccer.

He performed well enough to get a playoff whistle in every season of MLS' existence, but he couldn't get more than one US Open Cup Final in that same time span? To put that in perspective, Alex Prus did four US Open Cup Final in like a 9 year span.

I personally think the prestige and importance of the MLS All-Star game has wained the last 5 years. But to only get one All-Star game whistle in 26 years?

I think it is quite the shame that he couldn't get an MLS Cup whistle under PRO. He was good enough to get a playoff whistle every year under PRO, but couldn't get the MLS Cup once?

Alan Kelly, Jair Marrufo and Allen Chapman did multiple during that period.

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Webb was smart he'd offer him a position as VAR czar in PGMOL. But I'm sure the British media would have a field day with an American VAR expert.

4. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The British media is having a field day crushing the failures of VAR. I’m sure if Webb wants to hire Stott for some sort of role like that, he won’t care one bit what the media thinks.

I 100% agree with you that Webb should do this. Stott is one of the best around at using VAR. Now him accepting a position of one was offered would be a different story.