Kevin Payne's cheap shot at the Revs and Colorado

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by ngower, Oct 27, 2009.

1. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/10/dcus_style_council.html?wprss=soccerinsider

I'm not in disagreement with him, but it's pretty odd for the general manager of a club to make a statement like that. Saying you play ugly is one thing, calling out other clubs is another issue altogether.

The ugly soccer got us into the playoffs though:D

2. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like someone is sore loser.

And what is Payne's solution? Put 8 to 9 guys in front of the ball? Well that doesn't sound like a smart idea. Don't you need the ball in front of you in order to pass or shoot?

Hey Payne, perhaps the reason why your team is not in the playoffs is because you were too worried about making your team play pretty soccer instead of winning. Ask your fans what they'd prefer.

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    If he thinks the Revs didn't score many goals this year because they were packed in, he wasn't really watching.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree Nathan, there's some truth to his statement. But he's an idiot for making the comments (at his level anyway).

This isn't the first time this year that Payne's taken shots at other teams right? Trying to remember....

5. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "There are a lot of games in our league that I can't watch."

6. ZZZenga

ZZZenga Member

Aug 10, 2006
    CT
    There was the whole pissing contest with Seattle over hosting the open cup/attendance, etc.

7. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    uh, i've seen DCU play, and they play like a team that can't even make the playoffs in MLS.

pinnacle of Jogo Bonito all tellya whut.

8. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS in general is ugly. DC is getting restless because their glory days are behind them. Odd to take pot shots at specific clubs though.

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah ... seems strange. Maybe his job is in jeaopardy?

10. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no way! :d

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Payne's comments are amusing because both Colorado and RSL scored more or less as many goals as his practitioners of jogo bonito.

However, both Colorado and RSL can occasionally defend, unlike DCU.

12. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Is Kevin Payne even relevant anymore?

13. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I don't think so.

Seattle does what DC used to do--intricate midfield passing, cutbacks to the top of the box, dummies, delicate chips, diagonal balls--with guys who can actually RUN.

14. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I agree with KP. Anybody who watches a typical MLS game will not be impressed. In stadium atmosphere is key...seattle, toronto, even DCU have an advantage in promoting the game because of the game day experience. They've done a pretty good job promoting the sport. If the Revs ownership had 1/2 of what those teams do then we'd see an improvement.

KP is safe. He's part owner of the team now and has really invested everything he has time/money into MLS since '94.

Tom Soehn is in jeopardy of his job. I be surprised to see him back. Dave Kasper is apparently safe, but he's best buds w/ KP.

Clearly a comment out of frustration. They tend to try too hard in DC. Regardless of the busy soccer schedule there is really no excuse for not making the playoffs in MLS.

Even the Revs did it without a striker or attacking midfielder or fans in the stadium!

15. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not directed at us, it's directed at DC rightfully disgruntled fans. Many will fall for it, I imagine.

16. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Payne just acting as GM? I thought he sold his stake in the club a while back?

[EDIT] Excuse me, team president...Kasper is the GM.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great point Brian.

18. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, it's the old Holland excuse: "We lost, but you're still going to love us because we played prettier than those Italians or French, or fill in the blank."

19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    doesn't really matter who its directed at, its not a classy move to trash other teams.

20. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is it a "cheap shot"? I mean, it's a dumb thing to say and a pretty transparent attempt to cover over his own team's shortcomings, but it's neither untrue nor out of bounds. The Revs that just made the playoffs are the most offensively inept in franchise history, so there is some basis. But that's the Revs' problem, not DCU's.

DCU would have been fine, and maybe would have been championship quality, if a) they would have had their keeper situation sorted out earlier and b) had capable center backs. Those are issues that they failed to adequately address from last year. So that's on them, not their supposedly freewheeling style of play (which is not all that it's cracked up to be, IMO).

21. urtel

urtel Member

Jul 16, 2003
    PDX
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    He's the Brian Burke of soccer...

The Revs have always been a "conservative" team, but when our forwards are consistently injured, what can you do? Go out and find a marquee player that wants to play in the MLS? You can look at a team like Toronto and notice they just don't have forwards.

I'd like to see Stevie N pick up a forward or two in the draft.

22. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other leagues you'd be right on this. But remember the MLS is single entity, with the different teams being part of the same "company." This would be like the owner of one Dunkin' Donuts trashing another store because they had crappy coffee (well, they all do in my book, but that's a different story).

23. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and the man is suppose to be a professional. As a GM you should be held to high standards. What he said should be no more acceptable than Nicol's italian salute during the Seattle game.

24. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    With DC missing the playoffs for two straight years and with having no new stadium in sight, it sounds like his job is in jeopardy. Sounds like he is trying to deflect the crap that is coming his way.

25. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    [​IMG]

Never gets old...