Kevin Payne online chat

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by sch2383, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is one instance where it probably should not. The club has worked marvels in getting the players to the fans. That is not a requirement or a birthright. It is friggin' amazing when you think about it. DC fans recognize this as a whole, though there are some people (who don't frequent these boards and aren't in supporters groups) that view a sporting event as a chance to vent and commit faceless violent acts. Most recently the New England incident from this year. I think Kevin knows damn well DC supporters are civil, yet passionate. And I don't think yelling wanker in unison is abusing someone, or pointing out the fact that a sudden change in the wind might knock them down, or that they are a thug...there's abusive and there's abusive.

The 96 playoffs when Meola worked a red card on us and then the stands nearest him threw everything they had at the official and the Meatball is the low point, I submit, for DC behavior.

2. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Payne just helped to bring home the championship, I figured I'd cut a little bit of the personal names from the reference.

Besides, those of you who were around for the original thread probably still konw it, anyway.

:cool:

Did anyone ever save that before the crash by any chance?

3. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I would guess not very much. Remember he said we're great fans.

But from what I've read I believe he has publicly said he was unhappy with some of the Mejido comments and the Rongen comments.

And I really can't blame him for that. If it was YOUR daughter, and YOUR friend, you might feel the same way.

Course I can't speak for him, but I did meet him for a few seconds and saw him speak he seems to be like NattyBo said here a stand up guy who would be offended by personal statements.

4. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Maybe players shouldn't be reading BigSoccer.com in that case.

:rolleyes:

5. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im sure they readthese sometime.. that sucks

6. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's no different than an Big 3 sports player turning on talk radio. Except that there is a searchable record of it

7. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Why. Just have fun and don't worry about it.

8. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if i played for a pro team i wouldnever go near the internet for fear of finding some people talking smack on my and my game dropping hah

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Alas, my question about the insanity and moral turpitude of leaving Kevin Ara unprotected in the expansion draft went unanswered.

10. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good God. That strikes me a bit like John Huston watching Three Stooges movies or Herman Melville reading Marvel Comics. :rolleyes:

You really wonder what they must be thinking about us if they actually read the Christian Gomez/Babelfish thread and some of the other crazy stuff that was going up in the week between the Eastern Conference Finals and the MLS Cup Championship.

Anyway, if so (I still find it hard to believe), I think that they found a way lot more funny & informative stuff than derogatory or defamatory stuff.

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I know for a fact that Kevin Payne sometimes reads this board.

12. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah i know he does, he could get some good stuff off here, and probably has...
    but for the players, see tallguys post

13. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, even in the roughest of times, players are seldom the target. I think "the majority" of us recognize what is fair and what is over the top assinine.

I was over the top assinine once - and still can't defend it.

14. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think the players do read these boards.

15. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    I know for a fact a former player used to post here.

16. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KP answered my question (Do you have defenders lined up and can you names manes? Give Namoff a raise)!!

The statement about no allocations for Nelsen and Stewart coupled with the statement about using all or part of an allocation to keep Gomez creates some doubt about the nature of our next defender. If the Bobby allocation goes to keep Gomez then ursula is right that our next defender will come from Concacaf via a discovery. However, if we get one allocation then maybe my hunch is right and we get Gomez and a young or journeyman defender from Europe. Then again, Heaven could smile on us and Nellie will stay.

18. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    I think this brings up an interesting point. If we have to use the allocation on Gomez then our next defender comes from the CONCACAF via discovery, as you said. I think the more probable outcome will be a trade for a defender inside the league, ala Curtin or Mastroeni (yes, I realize some of you don't think he, Mastroeni, could handle Nellie's position, but I think he could). Per the off-season rumors thread, a team is interested in trading for Mastroeni and Dema wants to go back to Chicago. Out of these two, the second one makes a lot more sense considering Dema owns a house in Chicago and the city also has a large eastern European fanbase (including Ukranians). From Chicago you've got Curtin and Gray as probably your two best choices as inside defenders. One of them will have to sit because Carabello (sp?) is coming to Chicago and is expected to start.

Just my $.02

19. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    I finally read what was actually said in the interview. Payne says that they're won't be two allocations, but nothing about there not being one. Also, I love how he keeps mentioning us being the only championship team DC has, and I'm sure he tells the stadium people that too. Same sentiment with the highest ratings, except for the 'Skins. I think his comments on the goalie situation is indicative of what will happen this off-season with the goalie situation: nothing (well, except for maybe adding a new young "in-training" keeper). Finally, his comments and the Mayor's comments on the stadium really make me feel a lot better.

20. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the DC front office reads these boards.

Also, this is nitpicky, as I guess now the Redskins are technically no longer a DC team. But when they were, they won 5 league titles ('37, '42, '82, '87, '91).

Not that that number couldn't be surpassed.

21. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but DC United has won 9 total titles (domestic and international).

23. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    McKinley.

24. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    Curtin--acceptable. Kelly Gray--totally unacceptable.