Kevin Payne online chat

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by sch2383, Nov 20, 2004.

1. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    From DCU's website: United President/CEO Kevin Payne will join loyal DCUnited.com users on Tuesday, November 23rd at 11 am ET, for an online chat. Email sweeper@mlsnet.com with your questions now and we'll save them for when he's here.

Obvious questions:
    1) the SSS
    2) Nellie
    3) usage of allocation(s)
    4) seating at RFK next season
    5) how is the infield going to be covered?

Others:
    Give Namoff a raise
    Is Soehn thinking of throwing his hat in the ring for any MLS coaching jobs that open up?

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    He needs to explain the Gomez loan/contract situation.

3. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Specifically, what happened between unprotecting him on Monday to pulling him back on Friday?

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    fixed your post.

And while we're at it....Where are the bacon wrapped dogs? :confused:

5. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 Stars on fan gear.

TS.

6. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    A nice quality Locker Room cigar lighter and cutter kit with 4 stars and the dcu logo...after all the locker room pics of cigar smoking...they cant say no to this one :D

7. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bryan from Wilmington, Delaware
    With adidas supplying the league, will fans be able to buy replica jerseys with four stars on them? Also, will the adidas contract result in the DC store being able to offer more and better ways for us to spend our money?

Kevin Payne:
    We certainly expect to have replica jersies available next year featuring four stars. We've been assured by the league and adidas that the new deal will result in greater inventory both in quantity and variety available at retail.

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Answered the allocation question very carefully. Someone asked if we would be receiving two allocations for Earnie and Nelsen, and he said no.

So far, has not answered whether or not one allocation is out of the question.

10. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Gomez extension uses all or part of an allocation, depending on if it's another loan or full buy out.

11. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    States that between Perkins and Rimando, DC has the best value for talent ratio in the league.

I think that's a fair argument. In the strict cost world of MLS, value becomes the most important aspect. If you believe you're getting a great value (i.e. a Bryan Namoff) in a lot of your positions, then you can win a lot of games.

12. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Next years games not available on Comcast will be put on Spanish channels, hopefully.

Also looking at being able to use SAP to hear English on the these stations, a great idea.

13. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i IM'd them a guestion but for some reason i dont think they are going to answer it..

14. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Two six team conferences next year and a 32 game schedule.

That's about as simple as it gets, four games against conference teams and two against non-conference.

15. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Is it about his daughter and Bobby?

;)

16. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Thamlin19 again.

Damn you even changed the wording since yuo posted it originally. Can someone hook him up for me?

17. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Taken care of.

18. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I think it's likely that we will have to open at least the 400 sections above the pressbox for next season. We'll know more about that after this afternoon's meeting and in the weeks to come.

He means open the upper deck right??

19. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I asked my question too late.

Kevin-

Again, congratulations and welcome back.

With the SuperDraft being held in Baltimore this year, a bunch of supporters are planning to show up to cheer on the selections United make. We may also "introduce ourselves" to the new draftees of the other teams in the league. Do you have any plans to take advantage of this event to build up the fan base in Charm City? There are a lot of us here and would love to help out.

Oh well.

20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gotta love these 2 answers: "The odds are very good of getting a stadium built in D.C. We will need a lot of things to occur in a timely fashion to be in that stadium at the beginning of the '07 season. We have made clear to the sports commission that playing across a skin infield is not an acceptable solution for D.C.'s only championship team." .............. AND ......... "On behalf of the organization, I'd like to once again express to our fans how pleased we are to have returned the MLS Cup to D.C. We're proud that we have won more league championships than any D.C. team in any sport and we're equally proud of the support we recieve from the best fans in Major League Soccer and the best fans of any team in Washington, D.C."

Ouch!! I wonder if he is actually mentioning those things during negotiations! LOL

21. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    That is my fault I should of phrased the question better but I was in a rush was I typed it.

22. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    KP is a pretty stand up guy, I must admit...

23. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mr. payne, you have a lovely daughter, hook me up.

24. dale_wilster

dale_wilster Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Cochabamba, Bolivia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    "Kevin Payne:
    The incident itself was obviously a disgrace and a major embarrasment to the NBA. The chances of something like that occuring at a soccer match are far less because there is a greater separation between our fans and our players. There's no question what the players did was 100% wrong and cannot be condoned. However, I also believe that sports fans have become far less civil over the least 10 years or so. The level of vitriol, which we hear on sports talk radio and see on internet chat sites, is of concern to me. Professional athletes are still people and while we all want fans to be passionately engaged in supporting their team and cheering against the opponent, we should all also remember that a ticket to a sporting event is not a license to engage in any sort of abusive behavior that a fan or fans might decide to adopt. There should be some limits. "

I wonder how much this relates to some DCU fans.

25. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Hush now, or I'll throw a beer on you.

;)