Kenny Cooper

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by laddi, Oct 7, 2003.

1. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    He has MUTV.

2. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    Well i dont live in the us and i had mutv. The freakin tv channel took it off coz not too many had it. But i hope to work something out

It isnt the biggest piece of news but the commentators did say they though cooper did fine and that he had been there for a month. They also spoke like he was on a trial but thats probably just a misunderstanding on there part

3. Isisbud

Isisbud New Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Encinitas
    Any photos of this kid? What club did he play for here in the US?

4. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    definitely not on trial, he has signed a full professional contract.

5. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Club Stab-Schellas-Hyndman-in-the-back.

6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  7. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    'It would be "brilliant" to play for your country' ???

That's gotta be a record for a YA becoming localized (a few weeks now)....English dad not withstanding...

8. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    What is this kid's connection with Man U? Does his father work for the club or something?

9. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    Solar SC, in Dallas.

10. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Er, he's been signed by them.

11. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    I know he's been signed by them, but I think I recall seeing somewhere that his father works for the club, and that's how he got his trial. He must have improved drastically in the last two years.

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Cooper's dad is former NASL star GK and MISL championship winning coach Ken Cooper, Sr.

He has lived in the US since 1971 and still makes Texas his home.

He's originally from England and may know some people that work at ManU. But, he has no professional ties to the club.

The Yank whose dad works for an EPL club is Zak Whitbread, whose father, Barry, is director of yourh development (or something similar) for Liverpool, whom Zak plays for.

As for Whitbread and the youth national teams, he was overlooked by John Ellinger for the U17 cycle that included Santino Quaranta (remember what it was he that ManU wanted?), Eddie Johnson and Mike Magee.

That U17 cycle was picked for residency in 99 and 2000 and I don't know how polished Cooper was then or if Ellinger and his scouts just blew it. (It's happened before - he missed Alecko Eskandarian, Ricky Lewis and Ricardo Clark for the first Bradenton cycle... or those guys all developed a little later.)

As for the U20 team, Rongen didn't call in many players who weren't in pro or college setups. I know he scouted the 2002 USYSA championships (because I saw him there) so he did look at some youth talent but to my knowledge the only player he called in to the U20 camp who wasn't a college or pro player was a St. Louis HS kid named Vince Vitale, whom Rongen looked at some early in 2002 (and who has since fallen off the face of the earth) and, of course, Freddy Adu.

Now, should Rongen have expanded his search for players and looked at kids who were still in HS instead of only picking college and pro players? Perhaps. But, remember, the U20's were supposed to have had their World Championship last March, three months before Cooper got out of HS and before ManU or any other club in Europe had ever heard of him. And, I can't blame Rongen for not wanting to take a HS kid who has never played kids above his own age in a competitive match to play in a world championship against young pros.

After all the ManU stuff happened, Rongen did invite Cooper to the U20s tour of Spain in August but Cooper declined the invitation because he thought he'd be with ManU by then. Because of some delays in the paperwork, he didn't actually sign and report till after the 20s got back from Spain so he could have played with the 20s.

But, that is the only time he's ever been close to being with a youth national team that I know of.

In terms of being an injury replacement for the UAE, Rongen is on record as saying he doesn't want to bring in anyone who hasn't trained with the team before so that would make Cooper seem like a long shot there. Perhaps if Knox Cameron, a 6-3 forward who plays for Michigan, gets hurt and Rongen needs a target player, he'll reconsider but that's the only scenario where I see Cooper getting called in.

As an 84, Cooper could still be part of the U23 team in Olympic qualifying or the Olympics but given all the depth that pool has at forward, it is unlikely he'll get called in given he has no international experience. However, if he does really well with ManU this winter and spring, that could change.

Here's a link to an article with Glenn Myernick, the U23/Olympic coach, who discussed bringin 84s who haven't been part of the Olympic pool, into the picture. (That part of the interview is towards the bottom.)

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/NationalTeams/20031014110712/view

Mooch doesn't rule it out but says the player would have to be very good. Is Cooper very good? ManU seems to think so. We'll have to wait and see.

13. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    god for forbid not having a big target forward.

14. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Sandon - *great* post. Thanks for the clarity

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, having one really holds Germany and Italy back.

16. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Rongen said if they need an attacking player, he will take Adu. I just wonder if Cooper is getting alot of action come WC time if he will want to leave the reserves and join the U20s.

17. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    I didnt want to start another thread but Cooper started for the utd reserves today as they won the liverpool reserves 1-0. Cooper went off at half time though

here is one report

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N142266031016-2208.htm

I will post more when i see other reports

Didnt seem as he was very involved but he got a start so he must be doing something right

18. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Also of note

19. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    http://www.rednews.co.uk/ (scroll down the page)
    "After the Everton game I was reserving judgement on our new American signing Kenny Cooper but after tonight's performance I am decidedly upbeat. Coincidentally he was matched up against a fellow countryman, Zak Whitbread, in the Liverpool number 5. They both are American by birth but hold UK passports as a result of their qualifying for dual nationality. Cooper showed some excellent touches tonight and was powerful in the air. He was subbed off at half-time which was a shame as his first half performance was terrific. He has not long been with United so presumably as he becomes more familiar with his surroundings and his team-mates his performances will continue to improve. He has played for the USA at junior levels and was very highly regarded in US 'soccer' circles with a lucrative college scholarship in the bag when United came calling. Good for him in taking the plunge and making the right choice."

20. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    (Lucrative soccer scholarship)..haha

21. birkdog

birkdog New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    TX
    When you look at the fact that SMU costs close to $30K a year, and he got a full ride, I think that it was pretty lucrative.

22. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Thanks Sandon. I know some guys who played with Cooper on the Region III team...that's why I say he must have really improved over the last 18 months because then was nothing great.

Since his father is English, that would explain how he got a try-out, because isn't England the toughest place in the world for an American soccer player to get a work permit?

Also, maybe you guys can explain to me how getting a trial works for an American kid.

Thanks.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    England is the toughest place for Americans to play because of the work permit rules - just ask Bobby Convey.

Obviously Cooper's dad having been a pro player and being English helped a lot. Sr. had a lot of contacts that most soccer dads just don't have.

He knew someone at ManU or knew someone who knew someone and a call was made to arrange a tryout.

In terms of getting a trial, the biggest thing you need is to know someone, or know someone who knows someone who you can call over there to arrange a tryout. That, or hope your kid gets spotted over here and invited but that doesn't happen as much.

24. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmmmmm

An education valued @ $120k over 4 years or $1 million in cash over 3 years playing for Man U in England where soccer players are treated very well...let me think about it...

Does SMU teach math?

25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    not sure who to believe- some other 18 year old guys or the chief of scouting for ManU. A real dilemma.