Kenny Cooper and the elections

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Scotty, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Translated from Record

An American in Coimbra

In Coimbra there is the only American currently playing in the SuperLiga. Kenny Cooper, a 20-year-old forward born in Maryland, arrived this season in Portugal to represent Académica de Coimbra. Although far from his country, today he will be one of the American emigrants to vote on the internet, without revealing, however, what his tendency is.

In this aspect, the forward played to the defense: "I don't live in the United States, and in this moment my life is in Portugal. Previously, I lived in England. Therefore, I can't speak on the politics of Bush, although I respect him."

Shielding himself in his condition as a player and in some distancing of the reality of his country - "I dont like talking about politics" -, the American of Académica already perceived, however, one thing: the vote of the women will be able to decide such a balanced election.

"Bush and Kerry are very close. I think that the victory will be determined by a few votes. The friends that I spoke with, and they live in the United States, tell me that the women will have a fundamental role in the decision", he recounts, relating that in the last weeks the elections have occupied the opinions of all his friends.

Cooper knows, by the way, of the international importance of the event: "The United States is the thermometer of the world."

http://www.record.pt/noticia.asp?id=602195&idCanal=7

2. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I opened this thread really thinking and hoping that the young lad might say something interesting as a young person, as a person living overseas. But alas, my optimistic hopes were dashed yet again. Yes, women, being slightly more than half the population, will have an effect on the election.

3. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I think he said the right thing. Why does he need to get political with the Portugese press? Im sure he has stronger feelings on issues and things going on but no reason to open that can of worms. He is there to play soccer not to share his political veiws with the Portugese press so they can spin it the way they want.

4. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    He doesn't have to disclose who he's voting for to say something a little interesting having to do with perceptions of Europeans and the effect it has on Americans living abroad. I don't think that would be controversial. I really don't care, though, I don't. It's more important to me that football players I like play the game well. But it wouldn't be so terrible to have a few more interesting guys around the game, that's all, like those sprinters at the olympics in '68. Hell, I even give Schiller some credit, even though he's totally wrong of course.

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    That doesn't produce the greatest of images.

6. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    guess it depends on whose arse the USA is sticking the "thermometer" up.....

7. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Just a thought....I wonder does the portuguese press giving a f--k about the opinions of brazilian or spanish players on their respective elections...?

8. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    You're being a bit hard on the guy. Hell, the most popular Kerry bumper sticker I've seen (short of the generic one) has been an "it's up to the women" Kerry-Edwards 04 sticker. It may have to do with the fact that women's turnout and voting patterns may be slightly less predictable than that of women.

Hell, at least give the guy a chance to defend his position before you go "thermometer" :D on him...that's all I'm saying.

9. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

chances are Cooper never made the comments attributed to him....

10. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    No, because those countries's elections don't mean jack squat.

11. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

my point exactly...I still doubt Cooper made the comments attributed to him...