Ken Lay: I'm a victim.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by 352klr, Mar 14, 2005.

1. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    We don't have a humor forum around here, so I guess current events will have to do for this one.

Among the nuggets of comedic gold:

“The last thing I would have ever expected to happen to me in my life would be that, in fact, I would be accused of doing something wrong and maybe even something criminal.”

“I have to take responsibility for anything that happened within its businesses,” says Lay. “But I can't take responsibility for criminal conduct of somebody inside the company.”

and

But how could a company be losing billions and the CEO not know it, even if the CFO is crooked?

“We weren't losing billions, though,” says Lay. “I mean, our primary businesses in wholesale pipelines, utilities, retail, were all doing extremely well.”

Lay insists that if the market hadn’t lost confidence in Enron, the company could have worked out its problems.

“At the end of the day, you have a company with $30 billion in debt and no cash flow,” says Pelley.

“But that is not true,” says Lay. “I mean, the company had a lot of strong cash flows when it went into bankruptcy.”

“You just said that the company had a lot of strong cash flows when it went into bankruptcy," says Pelley. "You understand how strange that sounds? The company was deeply troubled. And the question is, ‘You’re chief executive officer. Shouldn’t you know that?’”

“I did not know that,” says Lay. “Because Andy and his team were lying to me and the board and the senior executives.”

Here's the link.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/11/60minutes/main679706.shtml

The article says he's scheduled for trial January, 06. Will he go to trial? How long will his sentence be? I'm inclined to believe he's gonna get the book tossed at him. If Fastow's cooperating in return for a 10 year sentence, you've got to think that Lay and Skilling are going to get at least double that. But then again, who knows what will happen Inauguration Day, 2008 when those pardons come out.

2. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    aaaaahhhhhhhhh.... The Reagan Defense...

3. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lay must have been watching Bush's explanation that he did not lie about Iraqi WMDs, he was merely fooled by nefarious underlings and that mean ol' CIA. Seriously, what's with these guys and their distinct lack of any sense of personal responsibility?

4. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    It is his best attempt to keep himself out of prison isn't it?

5. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin

I think the best attempt would be a G-V to Switzerland and moving into Mark Rich's old chalet.

6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    how can this guy even go on camera and display without a doubt what a scumbag he is? at some point, you'd think reality would kick in

7. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    NO chance they pardon him in 2008. Maybe someone does in about 10 years, but it won't happen in 2008.

8. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Why? Because Bush cares what everyone thinks of him and won't pardon a personal friend who helped him become president?