Kellyn Acosta Drawing European Interest

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by ussoccer97531, Jul 11, 2017.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Acosta? No.

https://www.coloradorapids.com/post...nce-year-end-roster-moves-ahead-2019-campaign

Colorado picked up his option today.

Walker Zimmerman, however, is out of contract, which makes him the far likelier candidate to move to Tijuana, in my book.

2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I assume it was "club" that was omitted. Probably a Championship side. Damn shame; he should have gone abroad years ago.

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He tried but FCD thought they were close to winning a title so they held him for the next half of the season with intention to sell him after that. Unfortunately he got hurt and had surgery on a sports hernia injury and still doesn't seem to 100% back to where he was from that.

7. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It would be a shame if his MLS club holds him back from going to Europe. He, I'm sure would want it, they would make money and it would help to keep the conveyor moving. It seems a win-win for all. Maybe the depth of some clubs in MLS should be addressed where by a transfer, if unexpected, will not disrupt a club so deeply.

jjmack and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  8. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Was he released from Camp cupcake because he was outplayed or because a move is imminent?

9. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian said that the transfer offer and the release were unrelated, so presumably the former.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t know his contract status but I don’t see Colorado selling Acosta until they don’t have to ship half the fee to Dallas. Believe that deal ends after next summers window.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When does his contract end? maybe he should force his way out. Being nice hasn't worked so well.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #139 bshredder, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    It always begs the question of where in Europe does one have to be. Ian Harkes is in Europe, and Acosta is ahead him right now. He's also ahead of Servania, Diskerud, Durkin, Booth, and a whole bunch of others who are based somewhere in Europe.

A starter in the Big 5 leagues? okay. But merely starting anywhere in Europe doesn't increase your chances on the USMNT. Even within leagues there is a huge discrepancy (starting for St. Poelten vs. starting for Salzburg, etc).

15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    sounds like he hears aidan morris breathing down his neck

SCSAutism repped this.
  16. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I unapologetically stanned Acosta at one point. I definitely was disappointed that the European move never came. I hope he can do what make him most happy with his career. But with the central midfield pool,this close to the 2022 World Cup, at his age. He would need a flawless transfer for it to help his national team career in the way he’s talking.

I would love to see it done tho.

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is what he is. Mediocre and almost 26. A move to a decent league abroad doesn’t change that. Five years ago maybe.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  18. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    probably right. but probably is not definitely. some later career moves have worked out before for mls players and usmnt.....it could happen.

19. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Maybe he just wants to play in Europe for the experience and the challenge. Everyone here seems to be immediately jumping to the prospects for his USMNT career - he's a known quantity to Gregg. But maybe Kellyn, deep down, just wants to give Europe a shot for the sake of giving Europe a shot? And if he improves, great. He's unlikely to be better than Tyler Adams any time soon, but if he goes to Europe, he might or might not improve - but he definitely gets the experience of playing in Europe.

Winoman repped this.
  20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, because that's the context that Acosta put a Euro move in.

21. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    I would want to play in Europe too! However, as other poster mentioned, mls is better than a lot of leagues in Europe. Acosta doesn’t fit the profile of someone who would get bought by a team in league better than the one he is playing in.

22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    at the end of the day, i wonder if acosta is processing a bit of regret as he wonders what couldve been had he made them move at his mls peak value

adam tash and Gacm32 repped this.
  23. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm sure there's some regret there. He played poorly just when teams were beginning to really look at him then got injured and didn't really return to form for years. I wish him well but either his contract is running down or Colorado is going to have to sell him cheap because he's not a guy Euro clubs are dropping millions on to sign.

Gacm32 repped this.
  24. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Sounds more like he’s concerned with improving, and he can improve areas of his game greatly by moving to the other side of the pond. It doesn’t need to be a good team, because the level of intensity and attention to detail during training in the top 10 leagues will be something he’s probably never experienced day-in/day-out.

adam tash repped this.
  25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah has to do well to improve but the ceiling is just a lot lower in MLS than in terms of playing in EU.players in MLS dont level up in MLS the way they sometimes but not always do in EU. to me it wouldnt have anything to do with the experience but about becoming better as a player and putting himslef in usmnt consideration.

I am sure that Gregg is somewht behind this (which is good).....Morris, Arriola, Acosta etc....no accident all have suddenly got the euro itch.

Too bad Pareja (i reckon) was behind him not moving before when the iron was hot and he was a good age. still a chance to improve, imo, if he makes the right move but the margin for error is slim.