Kelly Smith

Discussion in 'Women's Fans and More' started by 4twoOVwalsall, Jun 26, 2005.

1. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    How long have Kelly Smith been around with the
    national team? tell me how long and if several years? and why Kelly Smith could not lead them to any tourment of worth in that time? they only qualify for the uefa cup 05 because they were the host. I may be wrong about it. I see you are a wildcat fans? that speak volume of words.

2. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England's national team is finally getting attention and funding to try to put together a decent team. And girls are finally encouraged to explore soccer as an athletic option.

Kelly Smith was head of the curve. Don't knock her talent simply because she lives in a country that until recently (the last 5 or 6 years) didn't actively work to build a strong women's team.

The talent that England has been grooming is finally coming of age to support Smith on the field. As with any young team, give them time. I'm sure in a few years time to gel and get more momentum.

England has potential, much like Mexico, to become a force to be dealt with in women's international soccer.

3. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Thanks for giving me a lesson! well put togather, I appreciate it. I hope I don't sound sarcastic.

4. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP

England missed going to the WWC basically because Smith blew her ACL with the Charge during the beginning of Qualifing... England lost a playoff with France at the end

They would have qualified hands down even they were not the host... They beat every team they faced before Euros except 2 (One was a PK loss to China in the Algarve

5. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Chargefan I have been reading on these boards that the Algarve cup does'nt count. so let us past that up. anyway your answer to my question appear fair to me. even with or without Akers the USA lost some big ones. having said that there is no guarantee that Smith present on the England national team will get them a ticket to the coming WWC07. you have to wait and see. no body can predict the out come of a game between evenly matched teams. the only way this can be done is if you get your wish over other by the soccer Gods.

6. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Did you watch the Euros ? With Smith going a Full 90 England is no longer "evenly matched" She gives England the edge just as Prinz does for Germany

Algarve, While not making much of a difference for Germany and the US(They have used Algarve to experiment with Lineups and systems), is still regarded as a good test of a team. It is not taken as serious by Countries with a Strong program.

Although, watching Finland play, they are hungry for success and that may make the Difference as in the Euros

Quite Simply, Kelly Plays - England Wins 9 out of 10 times

7. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Chargefan let's wait untill they come up agains't the heavy weights. then we will see if Smith can do what Prinz or previously Akers or Hamm or how Wambach now does for USA.

8. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    I still remember watching her play against the Atlanta Beat in the WUSA playoffs one time. By the end of that season, the Charge were playing probably the best soccer of team in the league at that time. Luckily for my Beatniks, we had home field advantage and scraped it out. I looked forward to watching the Charge over the following seasons but they never seemed to reach their potential. Unfortunately injuries prevented the fans from seeing Smith and Pichon teamed up together for an extended period. They never were able to develop a report like they would have if they could have played an entire injury free season together. The Charge were my preseason pick in 2004 if the season would have happened mainly because of my respect for the ability of Smith and Pichon.

9. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    I am not talking about some pro teams? Iam talking about the heavy weights of the world Germany,Brazil and usa,throw in Sweden if you want? I also respect miss Smith but i don't go for all that hipped talk about her untill I see her against all the big teams and getting results. I want an answer not skipping around my post?

10. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    I wasn't answering your post. The person who started this thread did inquire about her play with pro teams. I therefore forwarded the complimentary response that Ms. Smith earned from her play in WUSA.

11. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    That depends who the are playing the 10 games against ;) .
    Smith might be easily the best player on the english team, but imo she never really showed what the hype is about.
    It will be interesting to see the WC qualifying games between France and England. Two teams with two top players, while I would rate the other french players a little higher than the english at the moment.

12. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Any 10 random European teams. If she goes 90 Minutes, England has better than average chances to win.

France narrowly defeated them in WCQ (Without Smith)... and England has a much stronger team now. I don't see that France is as strong they just had 3 key players retire after Euros