Kelly Smith

Discussion in 'Women's Fans and More' started by 4twoOVwalsall, Jun 26, 2005.

1. 4twoOVwalsall

4twoOVwalsall New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    England
    I watched the Euro2005 competition recently and was very impressed with the ability of Kelly Smith.

She is obviously a cut above her English team meates, but i wondered what her standing was within the US game where she spent a fair bit of time with the NJ Wildcats and the Charge.

Was she a big star? Was she as dominating in games there as she was at times playing for England in 2005. Would shr make the First XI of the US national team if she was American? I ask because you're the number 1 side in the world apart from the Germans.

Do any of you think a Proffesional League will ever get going in the USA again, and would you expect Smith to be apart of it.

Just interested to hear the thoughts of people who have seen a lot of her play.

2. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I don't think she was a big star, as such, over here, because the American players got so much of the attention. But she was clearly the engine that made the Charge go and there was an enormous difference in that team when she was there versus where she was not.

I think there will be a top-level professional league again some day but probably not for a while. How long that while is (and I think it will be long) will determine whether Smith plays here.

I also have heard that Smith and some friends of hers read these boards every once in a while. So she might just see what you have to say.

3. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Think Mia Hamm, only better.

Seriously.

Edit: Purest talent-wise. She can do things on a field with a football that will make your jaw drop.

4. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Not in terms of media exposure, though, you know that. Smith was immensely talented, no question, but the spotlight, such as it existed, was on the American players to an overwhelming degree.

5. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    I have seen Kelly play alot , up close and personal

I would rate her as the number 1 player that I have ever seen.
    Better than Hamm, Lilly, and any other name you could put up

She is simply above everyone else. I have seen the US national team play live several times in the last 2 years.

I could watch her anytime she plays and go "WOW, how did she do that" many times in one game

She is regarded very highly by some coaches here in the states.

Please keep in mind that during the Euros she was playing injured, I learned that recently. So she did not show her full potential in the games.

6. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    because the last 2 years, Smith was injured... She could not showcase her talent

7. soccerfureek

soccerfureek New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Ohio
    Kelly was good during the Euro's, but she's amazing when she doesn't have all those injuries! She can't cut a break, can she?

8. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    She never became big here because she spent a lot of time on the injured list. Had she played the full three seasons she would have enjoyed "Sissi, Katia, Prinz" type of hype. Her injuires made her an after thought to most fans outside of Philly.

And yes Smith is awsome. But come on "better" than Mia or Lil? Smith is an increadible stricker. But as far as complete players go, Mia and Lil are in a league of their own.

9. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Smith is better than Mia, for her ball skills alone. when I see her play, it is like all other players are standing still and she she is moving the ball 3X as fast. I have seen players shut down Mia, I have not seen a player that can completely shut down Kelly.
    You can keep her from scoring, but you can't keep her out of the game, unless you want to commit 2-3 players to mark her. Look at the difference she made with England, completely different when she was subbed out. She makes every player on the pitch that much better.

simply amazing

10. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    I admired her skill quality when she played for Philly's Charge few years ago.

11. 4twoOVwalsall

4twoOVwalsall New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    England
    Cheers for the feedback, some good replies there.

So how many of the Top European Players play out in the US at the moment then?

As an aside, I'd just like to add that Euro 2005 was the first time i'd seen of the likes of the likes of Prinz, Pichon, Ljunberg, Lingor, Svenson and Lehn. I'd seen the England Side play the odd time on Television. And i have to say that Smith was on a differant level to any other player I've seen.

I hope she manages to get over her injury problems and have a good season with Arsenal. It would be ashame if England didn't reach the world cup. Smith quite clearly deserves the chance to showcase her ability at the highest possible level.

Yet the mens game is littered with great players who never played in a World Cup.... George Best (Northern Ireland) George Weah (Liberia). At least Kelly's name isn't George

12. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    None of the top Europeans play over hear since they Had Euros and none of the W-League teams could sign any.

Smith should be over her soon to play

13. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great player, too frequently injured.

14. sushibait

sushibait New Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Good skills, always injured and not very fast. She was never really fit. Mia is very very fast.

15. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    You never saw her in 2004, Very Fit, speedy enough to be a huge threat

16. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    If that the case! kelly smith need to eat right. she need more calcium for those bones. those of you who are her fans, mush get her to seek some one who is well versed in nutrition.

17. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Negative rep for you.

:rolleyes:

Edit: Are you actually Lennart Johanssen, UEFA president, who's dropping in here? Or are you Bernie Ecclestone, FIA bossman instead? Both have contributed whoppers about the ability of women athletes of late. I usually let this kind of stuff slide, but sorry, this is just so many different ways of wrong. Check out the FA.com website and they might still have the video of the Czech republic friendly. Watch Kelly launch a moonshot from about 40 yards out and over the keeper for a goal.

Then come back and talk smack. :|

18. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    You have misunderstand my post. as one poster pointed out kelly smith fall's to injury on a regular basis, other have point out this misforture of kelly smith also. it is evidently a fact that miss smith may have weak bone density? any one who keep getting hurt with they bones have a bone problem? it could only be correctted by eatting food high in calcium as this vitamin is highly represented in bones of the human family. what so insulting about my post? if you of all persons keep breaking and injuring your feet does it mean you are fine? there mush be reason why this is happening? that is the exception to the rule concerning the goal?

19. 4twoOVwalsall

4twoOVwalsall New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    England
    the Czech game was played in the home of my Club - Walsall FC. What a goal it was. Then the audacity to try it again later !

20. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    I was a little harsh, and I apologize. I usually don't go off like that, and as a mod, I should know better. Chalk it up to having a really pissy day.

21. K.Smith no.1 Fan!!

K.Smith no.1 Fan!! New Member

Jun 2, 2005
    Kelly Smith!!!

Have any of you guys seen her play in America?? :confused:

I have seen her play in England once for Arsenal and I have seen Arsenal Ladies play twice...I know it's not a lot but it's coz they play near London and I live a long way frm London!! :)

I am one of Kelly's biggest fans think she is such a good player! Just wonderin wot u guys thought of her coz I know lot's of you guys live in America!! :)

22. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Apparently you never saw Mia Hamm play prior to the WUSA years. She would take em on 3 a time and still beat them to goal. They'd loose thier shoes trying to keep up with her.
    Kelly is great. She's amazing but she is no Mia circa 1998-1999. No player is.

23. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    KeLlY SmItH RAWKS!!!!!

24. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Hmmm, you mean when the USA has Akers as the playmaker...and were facing teams less skilled and atheletic

Smith has done better with less support and now that she is starting to get the support(Yankey, Unit, Carney...), i expect that england qualifies for the next WWC

25. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you on the support that she's getting now. I enjoyed watching the games on Fox Soccer from the UEFA Championship. Especially Carney. She's England's version of Heather O. Great work ethic and a nose for the goal.