Keller wants O'Neill

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Scotty, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  2. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Makes perfect sense to me that KK would love to have him at Spurs. I don't see why O'Neil leaves Celtic for a smaller club. IMHO he stays at Celtic until he something opens up at Liverpool, ManU, or another club like that.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Keller wants O'Neill

Because Spurs are spending money and Celtic is not. Currently, Spurs really 2 players to become an all around solid team: Another central defender and a ball winning midfielder. The problem is the if Spurs get ONeil, it seems likely that he will only be around for about a year, that is not kosher.

4. branko97

branko97 Member

May 30, 2001
    New York City
    Maybe it's because he grew up in the more open American sports environment or maybe it's just his personality, but Kasey gives the best quote in the EPL, and it appears English writers are picking up on it. Seems like he's the go-to guy for any comment on Spurs these days.

5. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Member

Jun 24, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    Are you referring to the "Martocracy" quote? It reminds me of something I was thinking about earlier today--that so many American players went to college. How many of Keller's teammates do you think have the slightest idea what he meant?

6. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    from slim pickins:
    "Are you referring to the "Martocracy" quote? It reminds me of something I was thinking about earlier today--that so many American players went to college. How many of Keller's teammates do you think have the slightest idea what he meant?"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    did the interviewer know what he meant? is keller referring to Martin in "Martocracy" or merit as in "meritocracy"? if keller wasn't making up a word it was the latter.

7. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Member

Jun 24, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    I'm pretty sure he was making up a word.

8. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Re: Re: Re: Keller wants O'Neill

But Celtics are in the CL.... Spurs does not smell UEFA.

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Kasey was thinking on the fly with his choice of words. "Martocracy" meaning "Martin's rule", as he defined in the paragraphs beneath that.

However, regardless of Kasey's wishes, I don't see Martin O'Neill leaving Celtic. The lure of the Champions League, or the virtual guarantee of playing in Europe every year in one form or another, at the very least, makes it difficult for O'Neill to leave Parkhead, as long as he keeps getting the results.

That's something which Tottenham cannot provide at this point in time, and those are the cold, hard facts.

10. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Wonder what il Bruce thinks of this.

Who remembers the O'Neill / Arena duels when Kasey was at Leicester under O'Neill? O'Neill was a right pr!ck when it came to releasing Keller for US duty.

Kasey always played it cool, being in the middle, but it's interesting to find out how much he regards O'Neill (as I know others do). But I don't think he'll leave Celtic for Spurs.