Keller to Southampton

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by soccerhooligan33, Nov 12, 2004.

1. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
  2. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good move for Kasey. Hopefully he shows well with Southampton and can find a situation where he gets more playing time in January.

3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Kasey might even save a manager's job if he performs well saturday. Wigley is in the hot seat and conventional wisdom states that a win over your south-coast neighbo'u'r would go a long way toward cooling the seat. OTOH, a loss to Pompey and Wigley is Trumped.

4. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    Just in case anyone isn't reading the links, this is a month's loan for now.
    This may explain why he didn't play in the Carling Cup match for Spurs this week, which I found kind of odd.

Saints obviously liked Kasey because he is so good you can't score on him even by using an extra ball:

[​IMG]

5. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    A month long loan, I wonder if this changes any allocation bidness for ReAL?

Certainly it's only a month long so it doesn't mean he wouldn't be available but at the same time, if he produces during that month a permanent transfer to Southampton could be in the works. Interesting.

6. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Lets not get too hopeful of a prolonged move here.
    Keller's been signed until Dec 9th because they have injuries their 2 top keepers.
    Antti Niemi (age 32) had a very good season last year and will take back the starting job when healthy. He's pretty much in his prime right now.
    Paul Smith is in his mid 20s and is a very capable backup or possibly an heir to Niemi.

I don't see anyway this would turn into a full transfer to Southampton.
    If Keller wants to stay in Europe, the best thing for him is to use this time to interest another team for a possible transfer in January.

Just being realistic.

7. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    This is great for Kasey. A chance to show the world "I still got it"....a good showing will help him stay at this level for a couple more years (which I think he can.....). The money is just too good to walk away from...

8. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Wow! I loved seeing this news this morning.

Unless Saints sell Niemi or he goes down long term, Keller's going to lose his spot.

9. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    This is great for Kasey, a turn in the shop window. Maybe the new Tottenham coach will see something he likes, or at least a perspective buyer.

10. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ

11. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Kasey. He has Portsmouth, Norwich, CP and ManU to look forward to over the coming weeks. It would be nice if his deal got extended so he could face THFC on Dec 18th.

12. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i belive Keller would stay in the Premiership if he found a team to play for regulary,

the ReAL thing won't happen unless there is no other choice for him and we all know he really wants to be in his home state if he were to return

13. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Good news. Where was Kasey when he found out?

Was he already here training with the USMNT for Jamaica next week or was he still in London? Does this mean Joe Cannon starts next Wednesday in Columbus?

Even if it is just a short-term loan it's a great opportunity for KK to show everyone over there what he can still do. Let's hear it for the always popular special dispensations under rule M5! ;)

14. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might give Keller another shot, but don't expect him to turn any heads. The Saints have one of (in not the) worst defenses in EPL. There is a reason why they're in last place.

15. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Even if the loan was extended, I don't beleive he could by FA rules regarding loans. Players can't play against the team that loaned them out.

16. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Hey... where's the love for the Blackburn defense... now there's a real crappy defense - most goals against in the league!!! and Friedels actually havnig a decent year... that defense just sucks soooo bad.

A lot of teams have given up more goals than Southampton, but then Niemi has been a very good keeper for them.

17. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    They have a mediorce defense but I wouldn't call it the worst. Fulham, West Brom, Charlton, Newcastle, Norwich, and Blackburn have all let in more goals.

18. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Excellent. Good luck, Kasey.

19. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    isn't that just a clause that some teams put into their loan contracts? i know carlton cole can't play against chelsea but look at morientes last year against real madrid

20. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Good for Keller -- glad to see him get some playing time and thrown right in the mix of the south coast derby. Hope he does well.

21. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    Hence prk saying it was an FA rule, not UEFA or FIFA rule.

22. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Ya, it's just the FA makign the rule. IIRC earlier this season Wenger complained about it cuz Bentley couldn't play against Arse. I understand why they do it, their is a conflict of interest. Well, a POTENTIAL conflict of interest. Personally, I think the club that is borrowing the player should be able to decide if that's an issue for them or not.

23. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    He's going to shut out the skates!!! :)