Keller to quit USMNT?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by alexchesnekov, Sep 26, 2002.

1. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well maybe if you're David Seaman. As much as I like Keller/Freidel, I don't think they measure up to Seaman in his prime.

2. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    I'm still not sold on Howard as the keeper of the future...too much talent in the position to just 'give' it to him right now....

As far as Keller and Friedel....They have plenty of game left in them and unless there is a dramatic drop off in either of their play...The Keeper position is locked up for 2006.

3. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Dino Zoff. No one can EVER win the World Cup at 40 and be captain of the team. Yeah 36 is way too old:rolleyes:

4. kenosha

kenosha New Member

Sep 19, 2001
    West Vancouver, BC
    Retirement or Holiday

I think you may see Friedel, Reyna and maybe even JOB try and stand down from the National Team over the next two years. It wouldn't suprise me if Keller is talking about taking some time off from the National Team. Both Friedel and Keller have implied they would like to do this in order to focus on their club duties and save wear and tear on their bodies. Believe me, when the lights come on the National Team and Keller has a chance to play in one more World Cup, the competitive juices will flow.

This may be a good thing too as it will let the US develop another set of keepers at the international level. I believe there is no shortage of potential in the next age agroup (26 years and younger.)

5. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You basically want someone in lower to mid 30s for your keeper.

Keller and Friedel will be mid 30s. Sounds like a fit to me. And the third position will be highly fought over. Several keepers had pretty good form this year in MLS but none were great.

6. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    no one should think of this as quiting

he is simply going to play club ball... kudos for him, and didn't friedel already say the same thing after the world cup??

which means that they both will have done a tremendous favor for howard... howard can get all the caps now... get seen and go to europe

7. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we'll see in 4 years, won't we. Anyway clearly the thing to do now is get some of the younger guys blooded a bit more.

Personally I'd like to see Adin Brown in there rather than Howard, just my opinion.

8. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    I second that opinion....

although, I like to see him (or whoever) earn it to, I just feel like we are 'gifting' the spot to Howard at this point....

Adin had the spot over him at the olympics in 2000 before his injury and I think Brown is back now....just needed to get his confidence and timing back.

9. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, all else being equal, Brown is the better choice...bigger, just as athletic, and as capable of the spectacular as we've come to expect from Keller and Friedel. Were it not for injuries the last couple of years, it's my opinion that Brown would now be considered ahead of Howard, as he was before the injuries.

10. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Keller was injured in training the week leading up to Portugal, so the decision was made for Bruce without much controversy. I happen to think Brad did some things very well, but Korea's equalizer and Germany's set piece are squarely on him. Who knows if Kasey would have shown the balls Brad didn't on those plays and protected his box? Hindsight is 20/20.

11. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Bruce actually said the choice was made due to his superior ball at the feet skills. IIRC

Agree on those two points...Friedel was timid against Yugoslavia, timid against Holland, timid against Germany, Mexico were incompetent not to score, and South Korea had the finishing skills of a U-9 team.

Keller is better, the bigger the game. If you've got money, put it on Keller and a shutout on Sunday.

12. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine the turbulence was pretty simple. Both Friedel and Keller wanted to be the #1 keeper. The fact that they both strongly wanted to be #1 is precisely what helps make them such good keepers. Only one of them could play at a time. Thus, Bruce had to choose.

Friedel got the first match in Korea probably because Keller had a slight injury during the pre-Cup strech. But once Friedel caught fire in Korea, Keller was never going to get a chance whether the coach was Arena or anyone else. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I don't think Korea proved that Arena had chosen Friedel as permanent #1. Only that Friedel started the first match for the reason I mentioned earlier and his excellent form did not merit a change in that particular tournament. It was a specific decision for each player's specific form during a specific time period.

More likely, Keller may feel that he's done what he can with the national team and it's time for him to give the younger keepers a chance.

13. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    2 thoughts

1) Arena demonstrated his confidence in Keller by seriously considering him as his #1 despite havign about 3 first team games under his belt for a year, while Friedel was playing in the premiership every game. I agree with a previous poster, if we had not won the Portugal game, Keller would have started the next game. Arena went with a hunch and stayed with Freidel. So Kasey is very much in the mix for #1.

2) Despite the confidence of many, I don't see a young keeper coming down the pike who is near the quality of Keller or Freidel. I like Tim Howard, but he is not international class, yet, anyway, and I give it about 1 in 4 that he ever becomes that quality. Adin Brown apparently has had a few games, but he hasn't proved to be the heir apparent to Keller/Friedel remotely.

I agree that this is probably just sending a message to Tottenham that he's committed to the club. But if he retired from international football, it would be a big loss.

14. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    But he saved to penalties. Thus, as an American, I must go with the stats as opposed to actually watching how he played :rolleyes:

15. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    And if you think saving a penalty has more to do with skill than guessing the right way, then, well we just disagree.

Do you know what Pagliuca said to Taffarel before the WC final was decided by penalties?

"May the luckiest team win."

16. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I wonder if it does not require some skill in guessing where the penalty taker is going to send the ball!!!!

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I want Friedel picking my lottery #’s and I want Keller in the net.

18. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unless it's a really big jackpot, then I want Keller picking the numbers

19. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Brown is not as good as Howard at this point IMHO. Just bigger, but not better.

20. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    sorry, drunk and tired I missed the irony.

21. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    I hope this turns into a great discussion point in a few years.....

I think they are both very good, young keepers.......I always prefered the way Brown runs a game though.....neither one is leaps and bounds above the other.....just a personal preference I suppose.

22. Bill Russell

Bill Russell New Member

Apr 16, 2002
    His decision, if this proves to be more than unsubstantiated rumor, might have more than just a little to do with the coach of the USMNT. This of course is pure speculation based on an unsubstantiated rumor.

23. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <b>Originally posted by fidlerre

i would love to have him on the team but if he cannot take some time out of his busy schedule in a few years for qualifying for the 2006 world cup for his country then be gone with you...dont let the door hit ya in the ass.

disappointing? sure.

end of the world? nope. </b>

I'm assuming you're referring to Keller. Frankly, I don't hold it against Kasey. He's been involved with the national team for the last 8 years (I believe he was also Meola's backup in WC90). So he's been with the senior national team for a long time. He probably feels he has done everything he can with the national team program and that it's time to give others a chance.

It's not like England where they think they don't have anyone who can step in for Seaman (bizarrely, if you ask me, because it seems Wright and Robinson at least deserve a look). Friedel has proven his international competence. Plus, you've got several good young keepers (Howard, Brown if he has another season like this one, possibly Jordan or Cannon, supposedly the Walker guy who plays in Chile) who deserve a look in friendlies and eventually qualifying.

24. BennyDee19

BennyDee19 New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Ohio
    no matter what anyone says, it would be a tragedy. We have two of the best keepers in the EPL on our national team. Why do you think Freidel plays so hard, becuase he has tobeat out one of the best just to play. If Keller quits its Brad's job, his quality of play won't be as good. These two guys have been pushing each other for years, i hope it doesn't end.