Keller to quit USMNT?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by alexchesnekov, Sep 26, 2002.

1. alexchesnekov

alexchesnekov New Member

Mar 20, 2002
    Lawrence, KS
    Saw on the Soccernet Spurs message board a claim that KK is about to announce that he is quitting the USMNT to concentrate on club football. Until there is some sort of verification, this has to go into the "unsubstantiated rumor" file. However, I'm not terribly surprised if this turns out to be true; Reyna said much the same thing during the WC, and it always leaves open the possibility that the player will make himself available when 2006 World Cup qualifying begins.

Anyone have further information about this?

2. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    It'll be a sad day if this is so. It took me yrs 2 accept him as being better than friedel and never did quite understand his supposed turbulence w/ BA, but he'll go down as our best man b/w the pipes 4 yrs to come.

It's time for Howard to be a regular starter on domestic friendlies that would be difficult for Brad to make.

3. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    IF true it could be a blessing, since the Nats will no longer have a keeper controversy. Friedel will be #1 until he retires from the team.

4. mattgabe

mattgabe Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Blacksburg, VA
    Yeah, it sucks to have 2 of the best keepers in the English Premiership on your national team. Controversy like that sucks. Oh, and what if Friedel breaks his leg?

5. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had to happen sooner or later. Better he retire now and let someone else get some experience over the next three years than wait two years and do it then.

6. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i like keller and all, and his performance recently for spurs has been outstanding but...

who cares.

i would love to have him on the team but if he cannot take some time out of his busy schedule in a few years for qualifying for the 2006 world cup for his country then be gone with you...dont let the door hit ya in the ass.

disappointing? sure.

end of the world? nope.

7. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Wouldn't complete retirement raise some work permit problems for him in the UK? I thought that non-EU players had to have a specified number or percentage of starts for their national teams.

8. Rowdie

Rowdie New Member

Jan 27, 2000
    Another criteria, I believe, is the % of games you play with your club if you are currently in England. So, and this is only if he wanted to change, or perhaps if he wanted to sign a longer contract, he would qualify because of the number of games he played for Spurs.

9. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    More of a US Men N&A issue. Moving there.

For my money it doesn't matter what players say now, it's just good PR with their clubs to say things like this.

10. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    keller should've gotten minutes in korea. he's bitter and realizes that arena will return. knowing that, he doesn't want to be #2. arena has made it clear in korea who his #1 keeper is. i don't blame him. he's the better keeper and he's got an ego.

like someone said (and the beautiful thing it applies to just about any player).

disappointing? yes.

end of the world? no.

in 4 years, i can only imagine what our player pool will be like.

11. StingRay37

StingRay37 Member

Dec 4, 2000
    North Carolina
    Um hello, its a freaking rumour. Lets wait till he actually says this before we crucify him for it. :rolleyes:

Hey how do you feel about the army using that bat kid to catch Bin Laden, I think its a great idea.

12. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    all i am saying is that if true, who cares...

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the reason JMM might not get his WP renewed - lack of club games played.

Another question - does Keller qualify for a EU passport (or automatic work permit - what ever it's called) for being empoyeed for so long in the EU?

14. StingRay37

StingRay37 Member

Dec 4, 2000
    North Carolina
    A lot of people who think Keller is better than Freidel.

15. uufan

uufan Member

Oct 31, 1999
    After WC KK said that he is not quiting USMN. But thair almost no chance that Bruce will let him to be #1. So to protect his reputation in Europe it may be good idia.

16. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    I think Arena thinks Keller is a better keeper than Friedel, but he stayed with Friedel because of the win against Portugal. If we would have lost or tied that game, I think Kasey would have returned to the starting position.

17. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I think Howard should play in friendlies, and in some Cups (Nike Cup, Confederation Cup etc.) so he can have some experience. Keller and Friedel should play in the Qualifiers. Keller is a little bit better Friedel. Kellers quick and daring, Friedel is also a great shot blocker, but he isn't to good with 1 v 1 situations.

Boy is this a horrible controversy!! Arguing about which EPL star keeper should be our starter. :)

18. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    I can see how you could forget who had written it - I'm surprised you even remember someone said it at all. It was way back 3 posts before yours.

19. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    so why'd he start him to begin with Mr. Smart?

Best goalie, smest smolie. We gave up seven fricking goals in the WC and still made it to the 1/4 finals - probably in spite of Brad Friedel against Mexico.

South Korea's finishing could make me look world class. It took them 60 minutes to score with a two man advantage.

20. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    Not to divert the thread too much, but if Reyna follows his lead it will have a much greater impact.
    Not to say that losing Reyna would be devestating,
    but it will have a greater impact on the team that Bruce looks to put together.

The question I have is if we put Howard in a few friendlies, and he plays exceptionally well, will we even want to bring back Brad or Kasey?

21. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Proving yourself in a couple of friendlies still leaves you miles behind what Friedel and Keller have proven.
    I can understand, and heck might even encourage, Friedel and Keller to take a few years off of international football. It will just let them focus on one thing, reduce their travel and get the fires stoked.
    But my predictions is that come qualifying, Keller and/or Friedel will be the first choice in net.

22. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2006: Keller and Friedel are both 36. Reyna is 33.

Time to move on.

23. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup, good idea. chuck out players because of what it says on their driver's license. Production on the field?!? To hell with it!
    C'mon, man.

24. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, just my opinion. 4 years is a long time, especially when you're already in your thirties. If in 2006 the US is relying on mid-thirties players, there are deeper problems than whether Keller or Friedel's feelings get hurt. Friedel himself recently hinted than when his current 4 year contract at Blackburn is up, it may well be the end for him.

25. Cruyff14

Cruyff14 New Member

Aug 29, 2000
    Age thirty six keepper in there prime!!!!