Keller: Situation at Spurs

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Captain Splarg, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure he'll still be No.1

About 10 minutes ago Glenn Hoddle parted company with Spurs.

2. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    Although he will be hoping that the new guy didn't see what caused the corner for Southampton's first goal yesterday (a sliced kick by Keller).

There have been rumours up here of McLeish going there, he has yet to sign a contract extension with Rangers. But it would be a strange time for him to move (and a strange club to move to!). Also there have been rumours from the Spurs end of Martin O'Neill, but this is also unlikely in my view.

3. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People can say what they want about scottish football, but you would have to be mad to leave Rangers or Celtic to goto a club like Spurs.

haha.... Glenn Roeder? Brian Kidd?

I love how spurs fans think they have such a big club... I bet they think they are going to get Sven as their manager now!

4. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    I'm going out on a limb here...but I'm thinking Spurs are wanting an improvement..

5. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This actually probably has ramifications for Bobby Convey as well. A manager who has previously shown an interest in his talents (think Souness and Moyes WRT Friedel and McBride) is now out of work.

Hoddle has a good chance to land on his feet somewhere, and he may renew his interest in Convey when he gets there.

6. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and convey can move to any english or euro club he wishes (pending another work permit) at the next window... just not spurs.

so we could very well see bobby leave with hoddle again if glenn can find another home by december.

7. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh great .Convey to Rochdale.....

8. Decent Guy

Decent Guy New Member

Mar 22, 2003
    Outside NY
    I'd be surprised if Hoddle gets another managing job anytime soon.

But I have heard rumors that he would go to Reading. Don't know what their left side situation is but it could be a good move for Convey, D1 club with a chance at promotion.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Keller: Situation at Spurs

Not true. Well, half not true.

1. Only Britain (not England) has the WP rules. So yeah, he can go to any Euro club.
    2. But he can't go anywhere in Britain for a year. And it's obvious why if you think about it. He didn't meet the standards. And those standards are independent of the club.

10. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Keller: Situation at Spurs

sorry dave, i sometimes forget that wales, northern ireland, and scotland have leagues. ;)

every country has work permit rules regarding soccer players (even the us). britain simply has some of the strictest in the world.

and he can (from what i've heard... which could be completely wrong) go before another tribunal with a uk club within the year, as long as its not spurs... which could be worth it as the panels change.

11. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Keller: Situation at Spurs

Trust me on this one...Dave's read the regulations.

12. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Keller: Situation at Spurs

actually, dave's expertise is child transfer laws.

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Keller: Situation at Spurs

Well, i'm with Dave on this one. The laws say that he can't apply at all for the WP for 1 year, so he will be torturing me with mediocre play at DCU for most of next season as well.

14. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Keller: Situation at Spurs

well, it's entirely possible that i heard incorrect information. i am just going by what several spurs supporters wrote on the glory-glory boards.

... and the child transfer thing was an inside dave/adu joke.

15. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    IIRC, Italy also has WP rules. Anyway, if Convey's permit had gone through, he could become burried on the bench with a new manager who does not trust the new, unproven kid.

16. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robert Burch? Yes, I think Kasey's position is safe for now.

17. Mark Coker

Mark Coker Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Seattle,WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly, there's a report that lists O'Neill (Celtic), Souness (Blackburn) and Curbishley (Charlton) as the shortlist to replace Hoddle.

Keller played for O'Neill at Leicester, where he was first choice, but there was never a shortage of whining and foot-dragging when it came to making Keller available for USA matches. And quite frankly, given the state of Spurs vis-a-vis Celtic and Blackburn, why would either O'Neill or Souness jump ship?

18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    its not like Convey is married to Glenn Hoddle. If he strikes interest (which he probably has) he can goto any club outside the UK over the winter break.

19. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Convey needs to win a starting position with DCU first.

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of points.

A) Keller's position is not in jeopard unless Spurs bring in another keeper.

B)Souness has said no, as has McLeish. Other possibles, not noted here, are Raddy Antic (led Barca to 6th in SPL after being in relegation near Christmas) and Hiddink (who is though to have "strenghtened" his ties with PSV).

C)Convey cannot play in Britian - professionally - for 1 year. After that time, he can reapply for a work permit. All countries have WP rules (somebody went over German WP rules in detial last season) but some are more strict (Britian) than others (Spain).

That being said, I echo the statement that Hoddle will not get a job for a while. He has burned too many bridges and things need to settle down a bit.

21. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antic is the favourite for the job, and has been the entire time. They aren't even taking bets on the next manager now after several people called in VERY large bets on Raddy being appointed.

David Ginola has also expressed interest in the job. On a Football365 poll "Who would make a better Spurs manager" Jennifer Aniston is beating Ginola 84%-16%

22. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    But who has better hair?

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC