Keller eyes return home according to SkySports

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by FC Tallavana, Nov 18, 2004.

1. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Haven't seen this posted:

Tottenham goalkeeper Kasey Keller has revealed he would be keen on a move back to America.

2. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    I think that Keller is doing nothing but buoying his pride at this point. Keller has a history of not being happy with being the number 2 man in any situation. I think he is dropping all these lines about coming back to the US so it makes it look like that is what he wanted all along when he does not get an offer anywhere else. I love the guy...but I think he would stay overseas if someone really showed interest.

3. rorschach

rorschach New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Kirkwood Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    "Keller admitted he is hoping to put himself in the shop window during his time at Southampton. "

Sounds like he is using the MLS as a backup. I don't think a store window is needed to get Keller a MLS team. I did hear that knucklehead Rob Stone say something about him coming back to the States, but both the quality of play and the money make staying in Europe look like a better choice.

That said, I do want to see Keller in the MLS someday.

4. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I think that's pretty much spot on. Compare and contrast with Howard's attitude about being dropped. The bottom line is that Keller's never been willing to be a no. 2 and he's angling for visibility to get another no. 1 gig in England, if possible, or a return to the US if not. Seems sensible to me.

5. XYZ1234

XYZ1234 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    I have to disagree on this "buoying his pride" idea. First off, Keller is coming back to the MLS at some point, it's not if, it's when. He's said for years he wants to come back and play here, this isn't anything new.

A professional should want to be the number 1 guy. I'd be more worried about someone who is fine with being number 2. Keller has no chance with Spurs and his career is almost over. He doesn't have time to sit on the bench and develope like Howard does, there's no comparison. He's better off moving on, why not try for another team in Europe. He's still a very good keeper.

If he can get in a good situation he will stay in Europe if not he comes home to the MLS. This has always been the case. There's nothing wrong with this.

6. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    I agree that Keller is a great keeper. I always thought that he was. I also agree that you should not be fine with being the backup. However, there is difference between griping about being the #2 man and professionally striving to regain the #1 slot (see article on ManU website on Howard). Keller's attitude was sketchy with the Nats and across the pond. Sure, he will come back to the US, he is American. I think it is just a matter of whether it will be to play soccer or actually retire. I just feel like he will be coming back to play soccer because there is no demand for him elsewhere.

7. XYZ1234

XYZ1234 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Keller and Friedel both had problems with the whole 1-1A keeper situation. I think Keller was upset over losing his spot because of an injury.

There's a huge difference between Keller's situation as a 35 year old and Howard's as a 25 year old. There's absolutely no point in staying at Spurs behind Englands number 1 at 35 if you want to play. There's no competition for the spot, it's not like Howard's situation. I dont know if Spurs would even offer him another contract at the end of this year. So move on, take a look elsewhere.

Keller has said in the past that he wanted to come back and end his career playing in the MLS. This was said when he was still a starter. This isn't a matter of him trying to save face and talk up MLS now because he is looking for a team.

8. jkl;

jkl; New Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Keller wants to be the US's starting goalie at the World Cup if the US makes it in 2006.
    I think he realizes that to be a 37 year old starter for the World Cup team, he better be starting somewhere until then. Whether it is RSL, Spain, or England, who knows?

As a side note: Does anybody know if Keller speaks Spanish (I know he played in Spain for a while, but don't know if he knows the language).
    If he does, would Chivas be interested in him (though I know they passed on Walker, and are rumored to be after a Mexican goalie)?

9. XYZ1234

XYZ1234 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Keller isn't 35 yet(10 more days) so he will still be 36 by the world cup but you are right he needs to be playing if he wants to be the starter.

10. rorschach

rorschach New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Kirkwood Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Seems like Keller could also take the starting job from Countess at ReAL, and with no Chivas keeper, so it looks like either team could use him, and playing in the States could help his position with BA...?