Kei Kamara to Middlesbrough?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Sep 2, 2013.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprising.

What formation do you guys play, and what's Kei's role in it?

In my opinion, Kei's career took off when he became a wide forward in a 4-3-3. That role suits him perfectly...he's expected to score but not be "clinical," he's expected to feed the center forward some but he's not expected to be an assist machine, and when a team plays 3 forwards they're going to be pressing very high and very hard, and Kei gives you that. Kei isn't really a striker and he's not really a 4-4-2 winger, and that probably accounts for his erratic early career in MLS. He was always, well, not a square peg in a round hole, but an oval peg in a round hole, not quite fitting but close. In the 4-3-3 he really, really came into his own.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  2. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Mowbray played I think a 433 (or at least a 4231), so key for him will be what the new guy is doing. He might be ok as a target paired with poacher, but he's never going to be a 1/2 goal per game guy.

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way to piss on his parade. ;) No doubt Kei had his ups and downs prior to SKC but he's obviously matured (on/off the pitch) and taken his game to another level. I'm sorry you can't see past that and root for him. I don't know what he was then but I know what and who he is today. Kei's been quite the inspiration for a slew of people. I, for one, am super stoked that he is performing well in England. He's earned it. Nothing has been given to him.

4. LukeR

LukeR New Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
    Mark Venus has only been in charge for a game, but from Mowbray's time, there have already been some interesting changes. Under Mowbray we played a 4-3-3 with kei either starting wide right or up front, but under Venus, we've changed to a 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 type formation with Kei up front and Emnes dropping in behind him, however the front four seem completely interchangeable and rotated well with fast passes and one twos. Currently Kamara is on more than one goal per game, but his finishing has been poor, this is down to lots of chances being created.

5. LukeR

LukeR New Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
    I wouldn't call Kei an imposing figure, because he's not really one to be a battering ram against a big centre half. However he does win a lot in the air because he can jump so high. I doubt he scares the other team too, especially some of the defenders in the championship, they're huge! I'd imagine that Curtis Main or Lukas Jutkiewicz would scare the other team more

6. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    He's not going to bang a lot, but he jumps as high as anyone I've seen on a soccer field. He's well over 6', but you're probably right, he's not going to be bigger than a lot of champ cb's. He will be active and a handful for anyone though.

His finishing isn't good though. He's built himself into what he is, and kudos to him. Even though he doesn't play for the US, we all like to see him do well. That is rare, and speaks to his character.

7. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to take this thread a bit off topic guys but I was wondering what your thoughts on Seb Hines are? We don't get to see a lot of Championship games over here and I'd be interested to hear your opinion on his level and style of play. :)

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    How many assists does he have?

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd highest.

10. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    dude can fly. He's an elite athlete that just happens to play a little bit of soccer.

11. LukeR

LukeR New Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
    Ah yes of course, Seb is allowed to play for USA isn't he? I doubt he'll ever play internationally though, he's not great. Physically he's weak and gets outmuscled by pretty much anyone over 5ft 10, his positioning is decent but nothing special. He's a fast centre back so isn't likely to be outpaced by a striker. However he is -for want of a better word- a warrior. He'll keep going, for example two seasons ago at Ipswich he broke his jaw in two places and carried on playing. He's the type of defender who head a brick for his team, and he really attacks balls from corners, so he'll get a lot of goals... Unfortunatly he also has a habit for scoring own goals.

12. LukeR

LukeR New Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    #63 LouisianaViking07/09, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    Thanks for the link and insight.
    It's a damn shame that wikipedia barely records assists and comes up even short when it comes for stats on pages for strikers.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I had no clue Shay Given was on loan. Thought he wouldn't leave those 60,000 a week wages.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out with some ligament damage:

Kei Kamara: Medial ligament damage. Not expected to return until early in the New Year.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  17. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang. Kei's a great guy. Love how he supports the US and MLS.

How have his performances been this season?

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Returned to first team action with a couple of minutes in today's win against Charlton.

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #72 BostonRed, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  23. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Hasnt endeared himself to the Boro fans. Caught malaria whilst in Africa, then returned to Kansas. For some reason, he blamed Middlesbrough for not doing anything.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kei-kamara-malaria-tweet-storm-7273838

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    So, now we know why he had all those yips in front of a goal.

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since it comes up every now & then, photographic evidence that Kei is a Yank:

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.