Keeping up with our "sister" club

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by texgator, Apr 13, 2006.

1. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Next week UANL Tigres has a big match in the Copa Libertadores. They are at home vs Universidad Catolica of the Chilean league. If you remember, it was Universidad that came from behind to knock DCU out of the Copa Sudamericana last year. Tigres is currently at 7 points and both Univesidad and Corinthians (Brazil) are sitting atop the group with 10. So this is a must win in order for Tigres to advance, regardless of what Corinthians does against group whipping boy Deportivo Cali (Columbia).

Amongst the other FMF clubs participating, Chivas is leading their group and has already advanced to the knockout stage. UNAM Pumas has been thoroughly trounced and has yet to earn a single point in group play (and it doesn't appear to be a very strong group), so they have been eliminated.

I'll be watching the Spanish-language networks on Wednesday night to see the highlights....here's hoping Tigres can go through. They aren't doing all that well in the Clausara right now, so this would be their shot at some glory.

2. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    And you can watch all of this drama play out live on Fox Sports Espanol. Copa Libertadores is greatness.

3. ruiza97

ruiza97 New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Garland
    Vamo Tigres!!!

4. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Whenever we are ready for CL.....here is our chant:

DALE, DALE, DALE
    DALLAS!
    DALE, DALE, DALE
    DALLAS!
    DALE, DALE, DALE
    DALLAS!
    DALE, DALE, DALE
    DALLAS!
    DALE, DALE, DALE
    DALLAS!
    DALE, DALE, DALE
    DALLAS!
    EEEEERES CAMPEON!

:D

5. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    :rolleyes:

And they say drugs are bad for you.

6. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

What mother********er!? Can't hear you....the pipe is making too much noise....Wutever...VAMOS DALLAS! ERES CAMPEON!

7. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Go Catolica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    PINCHE TROLO! :D

9. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    I have to root for Catolica too. My mother is a graduate from that fine institution. Blood ties go much deeper than 30 day old arranged marriages :D

10. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
  11. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    That's awesome....really. I'm very happy to see they are following through on the partnership. I'm very excited about this. Now, they have to stop scheduling the Tigres and FC Dallas games for the same time, like they are on Saturday, so I can watch both. Actually Tigres kicks off at 7 and FCD at 8, so I can watch the first half.

12. ruiza97

ruiza97 New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Garland
    The Chileans don't deserve it. They blew it against Corinthians at home. They had their shot.

13. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    That was their wiggle room. :D
    They still are at the top of the group by goal differential.

14. ruiza97

ruiza97 New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Garland
    Yeah but according to FSE, all Tigres has to do is win by a goal and they qualify over Catolica. I looked at the standings and I really don't see how that is possible but watching how Tigres played that nite, maybe its so. We'll find out.

15. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    This will be a hard game for Tigres to pull out. Catolica is a good team and will not go down easy. Im pulling for Catolica because my granpa when to Architecural school there.

Go Cruzados!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Tigres slip by with a late 1-0 win against Catolica and are on to the knockout phase, advancing by a single goal against advantage over Catolica. There are 4 more games today and then we'll find out who their next opponent is.

17. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Tigres scored in the 90th minute. It was the kind of goal that will make a great movie someday.

18. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Tigres!

BTW, how does Tigres rank in popularity in Mexico?

I know they fall behind Chivas, America, and Pumas.

But, for instance, is Monterrey more popular? That certainly seemed to be the case at Dallas Cup, at least.

19. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    They are very popular within their region, Monterrey.

Think of Tigres vs. Monterrey like Mets vs. Yankees or Cubs vs. White Sox. Two popular and well supported clubs within a city.

20. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    In Mexico, the futbol teams in term of popularity fall into the Big 4, Regional, and City. The Big 4 are CRUZ AZUL, America, Chivas, and Pumas. The Regional ones are like Monterrey and Tigres. City are more like Atlante or San Luis Potosi.

Monterrey and Tigres are head to head in so far as popularity in the region. I think right now Tigres is a bit more popular since they have managed to stay alive in CL and are agressively spreading their "brand name" via academias (there is one in Dallas, Corpus, and McAllen) and the FCD copa. Tigres is way,way popular in the Valley. When Tigres when a friendly match against PUMAS in McAllen, propably 85% of the attendees were Tigres' fans. Still. Both teams are very popular in our region: Tamaulipas, Nvo. Leon, and South Texas.

As far as FCD, the trick is making a connection with the fan base.

21. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    They got lucky. I still dont understand how they only had to win by one goal didnt they lost to UC 3-2 in Chile. That would take 2-0 to advance 1-0 would have been penalty kicks? did we get ripped of my the mexicans again?

22. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    There is no luck in Greatness! JAJAJA!

Vamos Tigres!
    Vamos FCD!

No mercy for the bad if they want it
    No mercy for the bad if they plead
    No mercy for the bad if they need it
    No mercy from FCD!

:D

23. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Code:
    Group 4 
    Team                   P W D L Pts GF GA Diff 
    1. Corinthians         6 4 1 1 13 10 6 +4 
    2. Tigres              6 3 1 2 10 12 10 +2 
    3. Univer. Catolica    6 3 1 2 10 12 11 +1 
    4. Deportivo Cali       6 0 1 5 1 9 16 -7 

The bolded text will answer your question.

Copa Libertadores Tiebreakers
    Group Stage:
    Higher goal difference, followed by highest number of goals scored, followed by highest number of away goals scored, followed by a random draw.

Knockout Stage:
    Highest number of goals scored, followed by highest number of away goals scored, followed by penalty kicks.

Final:
    Extra time, followed by penalty kicks.

24. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Group stage.....team vs team aggregate score is meaningless.

25. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    This might jeopardize the Rio Grande Plate, which will be a home-and-home competition with the first edition being played July 19 in Dallas and July 26 in Monterrey, Mexico. The two legs of the Copa Libertadores semifinals are scheduled for the same two dates.