Keeping the bench warm- The Chelsea Reserve and Youth Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    First leg in a little bit more than an hour.

Chelsea should start as clear favourites but upsets are way more common at the U-18 level so United cannot be ruled out. Both teams play good, technical football so should be a good game.

2. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    heh Chelsea ain't clear favorite tbf, it's a balanced tie I would say. U18s have actually surpassed expectation if we consider early season form, never thought they could topple teams like West Ham or Forest, which is a testament to this group, they stuck together & got results in their favor.

3. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Same for us. Bar Blackett and van Velzen, the rest of the team is all first-team scholars and schoolboys and next season was supposed to be their season. Add to that a bunch of injuries and we have certainly surpassed expectations.

The reason I consider Chelsea clear favourites is our defense with the likes of Iannou just schoolboys and Chalaboah & co will dominate them imo.

4. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    2-1 to the good guys

exciting game with both teams having several chances

second leg should be just as entertaining.

5. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    aye; your lot just about deserved it for completely dominating the first 15-20 minutes after which the game was very even (would say United probably edged it in passages of play if not in chances).

Hopefully, a couple of our injured starters can return for the second leg to ensure another exciting game.

6. b-El

b-El Member

May 6, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Anyone catch the ITV4 coverage? You'd think we were bloody Stoke the way they were going about the 'size difference' between both teams.

7. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Very much ill-informed poor coverage from ITV, even wrong about no of first & second years.

Glad that what matters, the team has done a good showing & result. Loftus cheek indicated he might be back for the second leg. That would be good

8. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  9. Shwegeh

Shwegeh Member

Jul 17, 2007
    It looks like Kakuta is doing well. 5 goals in 9 appearance for Dijon. Scored against Marseille recently.

We should at least give him a chance this summer. It's be a shame to let him go.

10. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    He signed a big money new contract last summer.

11. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    what an weird choice of date for the FAYC second leg, Friday 13th April. Could be switched to 16th if we progress in CL

12. Shwegeh

Shwegeh Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Yes I know. I meant sell him as we have other youth players.

13. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    im struggling to remember when we've sold a player a year after signing a new contract under Roman

14. RamboTambo

RamboTambo Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just saw some highlights of this game, Islam Ferouz seems to be making waves at the youth level!

Is he a Kakuta or a Rooney?

15. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Feruz is a pure center forward, & relating with either is inappropriate at this stage. But safe to say he's not like Kakuta at all.

16. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
  17. Blue Day

Blue Day Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Mile End
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What's Lukaku doing, does it seem like he will ever be worth the 20 million spend for him? How far away is he from playing for the first team?

18. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    agreed

it is good that he can play on the shoulder of the last defender and also run at them when the ball is played between the lines

needs to bulk up a little, but looks a fine player already

post about this previously listing that Mellis was working a trail with Burnley I believe

seems like he has to get used to the pace of the League and while I think he is very raw, I think he could have featured just a touch more here and there for the first team

19. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Feruz doesn't need to bulk up, his proportions are fine. He's just short, he needs to grow.

20. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I think he would get muscled off the ball quite easy at the next level mate.

He isnt Josh skinny by any means but he is going to need to be stronger when facing some of the better defenders in the game.

21. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well yeah, but realistically he's not gonna get any taller than 5'8" at the very most optimistic so any additional bulking will be too much for that frame. He can get his strength from core work as the majority of players his size do.

Hard to know his exact height and weight atm as it's not listed but you can take an educated guess from others around him that he's probably 163cm and about 60/61kg. Add another 7cm and 7kg tops (proportionally this is fine) and you've got Messi's build, which is sort of what I'd expect. Those gains are definitely possible in a short space of time as well, just look at Affane from year one to year two.

22. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    one of his mates said before that Feruz has actually improved his physique since joining the academy & had hit a growth sprout. Think he's very young, so a little more bulk up would definitely occur. Kaby looked fat this year(to me anyway) & I think feruz would do better than Kaby

23. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    agreed and thus why I want him to bulk up. Unless he hits a dramatic growth spurt in terms of height he is going to have to be able to ride tackles which atm he wont be able to do against some of the stronger defenders he will face.

quite frankly I think it is a bit of moot point anyways as imo he should not have to worry about playing against Prem defenders for at least a year or two

I have to say that one of the bigger positives I see in Feruz is his balance. He seems to stop and start and cut very quickly without losing his feet.

24. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
  25. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    getting close to a new thread

suggestions please