Keeping the bench warm- The Chelsea Reserve and Youth Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  2. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    Lucas getting dirty for the 4th.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdCZ0TC3nZE&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Lucas Piazon's first goal for Chelsea (Chelsea vs. Arsenal - 19.12.11) - YouTube[/ame]

3. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
  4. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i think he was bought with that intention. it's all on him to show that he has what it takes.

5. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    Am I correct in thinking that Piazon joins the first team in a few weeks? If so, is there room for him in the squad or does he remain with the youth/reserves until the summer? Thanks

6. Andy F

Andy F Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    youth/reserves for sure

don't foresee any first team involvement this season

7. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Wont be surprised to see him promoted to the first team at some point this season.

8. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Not sure if this was covered here or not, but Young Josh is going on loan. Read the comments on this article. Josh is the 2nd best attacking CM on CFC??? I don't think so. In fact I will rate Lucas Piazon over Josh. Agree???

9. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    based on what? A couple of reserve and youth apperances.

Sorry, I dont agree with this and it is far to early to make a statement like that.

I feel we are visiting the PVA and Bertrand can replace Ash territory again.

10. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Never said replace...provide a break for Ash. Also, I never said Josh was all that either. Lucas is a kid as well. Bertrand has a lot of experience. PvA has a lot of potential. Apples & Oranges my friend, Apples & Oranges

11. b-El

b-El Member

May 6, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Piazon has scored a couple of goals for the Youth and Reserves but other than that, he's been very underwhelming.

Not to say he's crap or anything but he needs a bit of time to acclimatise.

12. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    no fruit comparison needed

just sayin' that you seem to have a tendancy to quickly write off players in the stead of others who have proven very little

this

13. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lunacy how some hype a prospect for a bit of time and then write them off and move onto the next big thing

14. chief232

chief232 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Indeed.

Still have huge hopes for Josh, but I thought he'd get a little bit more time by now. Regardless I hope his loan spell goes as well as Sturridge's does and he gets a real shot next season

15. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    and then complain that "we never give the youth a chance"...

16. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hope we see at least 1 or 2 players integrated and play well for the first team from the current crop. The last one was John Terry? That seems so long.

17. Andy F

Andy F Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lucas Piazon has shown very little in a Chelsea shirt yet. Must give him ~year or so to adapt.

Josh must go to Swansea.

18. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    Toddy Kane and Nathanial messing around with the sr. squad

19. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    if you don't count Robert Huth & Mik Forrsell, both academy players who became squad players. shame about the injuries.

the Youth Cup will very important to Piazon, as well as getting some minutes in the reserve side, if all goes well i would not be surprised if he was involved in preseason next year.

and yes, the Swans would be the best place for young Josh right now.

Chalobah need to sort out his position before he gets near the first team, he has defensive issues, and if the Res' coach says he's a centre mid, AVB needs to look at him solely as a centre mid, not as a narcoleptic centre back. harsh i know, but he really needs to work on his concentration at the back.

T.Kane i like. a bit of a Bosingwa type with most of the same problems, but to his credit, he's english, an academy lad & has a wicked hard shot on him.

20. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    sorry to nitpick but I am not sure if we can count either player

we signed both Forssell and Huth as 17 year olds so I am not sure how much credit we can take for them being "academy players"

that being said we see this from other clubs who are vaunted for their "youth development"

he is coming along and has the potential but still has quite a way to go

really off base to think that he is anywhere near ahead of Josh atm. This may be a different discussion a few years down the line but its not even close atm.

he would get to play his style a lot more

think he would still get some minutes at Bolton as well

my priority would be- Swansea, Bolton, Fulham then Villa

I think Nate will settle at CM as you point out he does good to sleep at the back, although we have seen this from some of our more talented CDs at youth level- notably Bruma. He is pretty useful on the attacking end as well and can take a free kick so I can see him playing that role.

Kane will learn and the majority of his mistakes seem to be related to getting experience in the postion rather than not putting in the effort. Still has to put some more weight on, like Josh, but he may be worth keeping an eye on.

21. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    jacob mellis @jmellis52 3m
    @Lpiazon on fireeeee in training today....#sittingguysdown

22. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  23. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  24. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  25. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2563548,00.html

Rhys Taylor goes on loan to Rotherham for a month

gets the start today and get a shutout in a 3-0 win

hopefully if he does well enough the loan deal will be extended through the season and the I suspect he will either return as our #3 or possibly find a permanent home elsewhere