Keep Bundesliga on US TV

Discussion in 'Germany' started by BlueInter8889, Sep 1, 2012.

1. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Looks like they no longer have live matches, but the Konferenz is live and they follow it up immediately with Alle Spielle, alle Tore.

footyfan1 repped this.
  2. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I nearly went with DISH Network to get MySportsGermany when we first moved back here. But my desire for full access to the NFL and the $29.99 per month price tag pushed me to DirecTV. I decided I could live with just two or three matches per matchday. Now, we get even more than that with GolTV. I suspect if ESPN or Fox Soccer gets their hands on the BL rights, that coverage will remain the same, if not even more.

At least I hope so. One of those channels getting the BL would allow me to drop this Spanish package I pay $14.99 per month for just to watch the BL.

3. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My hope is that ESPN will win the rights, because I can imagine all of the matches becoming available on ESPN3.

Right now I'm not worried about losing GolTV for the rest of the season given the amount of SA football it has and the huge SA community here. *knocks on wood*

4. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is something I would not like as I am trying not to allow TWC to bully me into getting their TV services just to get ESPN3. I have my internet service with them, but that's not good enough to get ESPN3. I'm hoping if ESPN goes for those rights, they will put matches on ESPN 2 or actually start a soccer channel. I really would hate it if ESPN buys the BL rights and shows most of the matches on ESPN3.

I guess the only Bundesliga I would see then will be BVB..........

5. Floormaster Squeeze

Sep 27, 2007
    Some Hill, VT
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Botswana
    This is a minor point but it seems I am in a similar position as you. ESPN3 is available to internet only subscribers but in a complicated way. Some of the programming on ESPN3 is available (I do not use it a lot but I have watched several international soccer matches without a cable tv subscription) and some of it is not (generally, ESPN live events are not available and many other things but there are some things you can watch).

The problem with ESPN2 is that they have their Saturdays pretty full with college programming although they could make some room in the morning. ESPN3 would be a much better option (and you can at least work out a way to see them).

6. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could be wrong, but I thought Grant Wahl said that GolTV had the Bundesliga rights through 2013/14.

7. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They actually have the rights through 2014/2015. However, with NBC Sports winning the EPL rights, many believe Fox Soccer and possibly ESPN will make GolTV "offers they can't refuse" for those Bundesliga rights.

Many believe GolTv might not be able to make it through the next year and might need to sell those rights. Time will tell.

But yes, everything we've been discussing here is speculation.

8. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Your comments have reminded me of something else. In the past, much of the ESPN3 football (soccer) programming is usually made available on ESPN Deportes. Which I would have if I keep my "En Espanol" packet with DirecTV.

This is true. I would hope they would move the college programming to a second ESPN U channel. But I know this would be unlikely.

I just want the most BL I can get every weekend. It is looking more and more like this would happen with Fox Soccer.......

9. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Makes sense.

10. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, I honestly don't think GolTV will make it to the end of the year and then its a matter of ESPN and FOX outbidding each other for the rights.

11. mat r.

mat r. Member

Jan 17, 2013
    New Mexico
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    if the 2nd bundesliga is as good as the bundesliga, i'm in football heaven. would love to see it on my tv.

12. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The thing is that, ESPN3 simultaneously streams everything that is on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and has additional programming on ESPN3. I could imagine that top billed matches would be on ESPN2 or ESPN (unless there is college football/basketball) and the smaller matches available on ESPN3 only. I think ESPN3 will be the only way to guarantee that you get to see all of the BVB matches of the year. There is no way that ESPN or ESPN2 will carry a live BL match at 18:30 on a Saturday during the fall (football) or winter (basketball).

13. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude, I get to see all the BVB matches through the "meinBVB" service the club offers.

Also, are you sure you aren't confusing ESPN3 with the "Watch ESPN" app? Or do they do the same thing?

14. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2. Liga isn't on the same level quality-wise, but not too far off. However, the matches tend to be more entertaining.

15. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ESPN3 and watch ESPN are the same thing. The XBOX360 app is awesome.

16. mat r.

mat r. Member

Jan 17, 2013
    New Mexico
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    call me old fashioned, but i like to watch football on my tv sitting on the couch with some food and some beverage. maybe a couple bratwurst and a root beer (i'm a german teetotaler, gasp).

Zak1FCK, CCinGermany and footyfan1 repped this.
  17. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks man!

18. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You can with the XBOX, and the picture quality is superior to broadcast HD.

19. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nekki, I may be writing to you off-line about this. I have an XBOX which pretty much sits unused since my son moved out.

20. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am with you. This past weekend was just my second match day without Gol on Comcast, and no matter how many games I stream online, it is just not as much fun. However, I will be happy if ESPN3 gets back involved...the disappointment of watching on the smaller screen will be offset by the ability to "timeshift" by watching archived games.

21. ZimbabweBob

ZimbabweBob Member+

May 16, 2007
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just connect your laptop to your tv to watch, that's what I always do! Best of both worlds, get the Internet content with big screen, better sound and comfy seat.

22. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone think two German clubs making CL final and generally laying a beat down on the two spanish giants will be the trigger for a US broadcaster to finally pony up the dough and buy out GolTV? To me the three possibilities in order of likelihood:

3. BeinSport - They have a bottomless amount of money, but they are saturated on content. La Liga, Serie A and Ligue 1. There is only so much you can show on one channel. They have said they plan to add a 2nd channel; however, seems too soon for that. If nobody steps in for the BL rights, then i wouldn't be surprised in Bein goes for them in 2014 or 2015 when GolTV's current contract expires and Bein can launch their 2nd soccer channel.

2. ESPN - Their only decent content was the 1-2 EPL matches per week and now those are lost to NBC. I doubt they are content with having the lowly Eredivisie and Portuguese League as their only content on ESPN 3. Especially, considering they will want to build soccer buzz going towards the World Cup in 2014 that they have rights to. They used to buy Bundesliga matches from GolTV to put on ESPN 3. Why not split rights with GolTV and do the same for next season?

1. Fox - They are launching FS 1 in August, their new 24 hour sports dedicated channel. I don't know if losing the EPL and launching FS 1 means Fox Soccer Channel dies but if it lives on they desperately need content. I think they still have the CL and EL rights. They need a league to put on weekends. The Bundesliga is the only good league to put there. It's a perfectly logical move and a no brainer if they plan to keep FSC. And even if they don't, what do they plan to show on FS 1 on Saturday and Sunday mornings? They have some college basketball and football they could show somewhat early, but at 6:30 am PST they could easily put on a Bundesliga match.

23. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some very good sources here were saying this is going to happen well before the CL Final was decided........ They also said this won't take until GolTV's deal is up to happen.

I think it will be 1 or 2.......

24. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's dead. The good news is that their Canadian studio hosts can continue to present in their homes...if they invite family and friends over they will have approximately the same viewing audience.

25. Super Mario Gomez

Super Mario Gomez New Member

Nov 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Yeah ESPN is probably the best option considering the history it has with the league.