Keep Bundesliga on US TV

Discussion in 'Germany' started by BlueInter8889, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    NFL sunday ticket is something I definitely don't need. I watch my two teams I grew up with and if I happen to catch any other game that weekend, it is just because I happened to sit on a couch near a tv that had it on. I guess that is another reason why I would never work well doing the fantasy sports. :eek:

2. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't do fantasy sports either. I don't have enough time for what I love doing sports-wise now.

As far as Sunday Ticket goes, I'll live without Sunday Ticket next season. I get it mostly because as an Eagles Phan in Cowpunk Country, I rarely get to see my team.

Time Warner Cable here just announced they've added the NFL Network and NFL RedZone, so I can definitely live with this.

My next deal will be between them and AT&T U-Verse. U-Verse currently offers GolTV and GolTV HD as part of their sports package. I hope that doesn't change because right now, with me, U-Verse is in the lead.......

3. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You could always do what my friend and I do to watch the Bengals; we go to a local sports bar to watch the games.

4. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not if I want to stay married! ;) :laugh:

That and I would wind up drinking so much beer and eating so many wings, it is better economically to just pay for NFL Sunday Ticket and watch at home where I'm too lazy to want the rest! LOL!!

5. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I might have to share my wife's recipe for hot wings with you... I'd recommend passing it along to your wife as well. ;)

footyfan1 repped this.
  6. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cool...... :) :cool:

7. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    PM sent. Hope you enjoy the wings as much as I do.

IASocFan repped this.
  8. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds delicious. Want to share? THANKS!

9. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    PM sent. Hope you enjoy them.

IASocFan repped this.
  10. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Don't get me wrong, I love it if a ton of various football leagues are broadcast over here as I never would have thought we would get so much soccer coverage some years ago. That said, I don't like the idea of one station holding a monopoly.

Obviously, I am biased like some of us in wanting a continuation of Bundesliga coverage. I also want to see the smaller leagues as well.

I wonder where FSC and FSC+ goes with this if it receives competition for the EPL.

12. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, Fox Sports is going to get competition for that next EPL deal. I think not only from beINSport, but from ESPN as well.

That next EPL deal will be the largest soccer contract in US TV history.

I'm hoping the "losers" will consider the Bundesliga as an alternative.

13. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    German cup fussball on watchespn.com!!!

Tuesday- Borussia Dortmund vs VfR Ahlen (3:30PM EST)
    Wednesday- Borussia Moenchengladbach vs Fortuna Dusseldorf (3:30PM EST)

14. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to this article, NBC/Universal has indeed acquired the USA English Premier League rights starting in 2013-2014. This will probably impact the next USA Bundesliga deal as Fox Soccer Channel and ESPN will need a new "big league" for their "soccer" programming.

15. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow thats a major surprise ^^^

Hopefully ESPN gets the Buli, think it would get more viewers than FSC

16. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    While that is true, I think it is more realistic for FSC/FSC+ to pick it up. That said, it would be a big step up for the Bundesliga either way.

17. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Some U.S. "soccer" supporters on the "Don't Tread On This" Facebook group were saying the NBC deal renders Fox Soccer Channel "pointless."

Here is my response to them:

"I'm finding the "pointless" comments about FSC very interesting. They couldn't try to make a go of it with say, the German Bundesliga and maybe the Dutch Eredivisie?? Are those leagues so low that no one cares about them?

Also, would the Bundesliga not be a bit more interesting here with the players coming from that league in the USA jersey now??

I admit I'm biased, but I also believe the Bundesliga is one of football's best kept secrets. I believe people here think the EPL is so great because that's what they're told to believe. For me, most big names, flash and glitz? Yes. The EPL. Better actual tactical play? Better actual league competition? Bundesliga.

And look up which league has averaged more goals per match over the past five or six years. You might be surprised at which one is on top...... ;) "

What say you guys??

IASocFan and Aztattooedsean777 repped this.
  18. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're preaching to the choir here. I have a good sports fan who just become interested in soccer. He followed the World Cup and is now following BPL. I would rather watch MLS or the Bundesliga, so I follow the English only if the game holds more interest than a lower table Bundi game.

19. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Very well said! What you said needs to be copied and pasted on any general football forum- big soccer, xtratime.org, etc although I know the responses one might receive will mostly be the same old same old that we always hear. I would also like to think if FSC/FSC+ has a write in email address that such a suggestion could be emailed to see if they are already thinking of such a idea.

I know the Bundesliga taking over as the "main" focus with the backup being the Eredivisie would be far more interesting as the Dutch league now has more competitive clubs than what we get from Scotland and Australia.

IASocFan repped this.
  20. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Trust me, I know people here "get it." I still don't think it can hurt to get more eyes on this issue and maybe throw some things out there that even people who "get it" might not have thought of.

IASocFan repped this.
  21. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Keith, I put your nice quote over at the soccer fanatics group and it has received a few comments. Check out when you have a moment.

22. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The current contract with GolTV runs for two more seasons after this...impossible to predict what the lay of the land will be a couple of years from now.

23. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude, many are speculating that GolTV will fold after this season. Their "bread and butter" was really La Liga. We'll see what happens.

At the very least, they could wind up sub-contracting much of the BL to Fox or Fox/ESPN.

24. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you are right. As of December 12, Comcast will also drop GolTV (in Spanish too!) while adding beIN USA! I will do my best to enjoy 5 lives Bundesliga matches per week while I can :( I will absolutely drop the "sports entertainment package" over this...although I get the feeling that beIN will be available without it.

25. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow. That's exactly what DirecTV did. Maybe there is something to GolTV saying that beINSport is trying to drive them out of the market.........

Before, I was upset at this word. Now, if this is true, I find myself hoping beINSport is successful. I'm hoping this will force GolTV to give up the BL rights and I'm hoping FSC/ESPN will move on them.