Keegan is back!

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by ToonArmy5, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You cant have Nobby back we like him too much! Strange I never thought Keegan would come back to management, much less that he'd be asked. So inspired? Crazy? Has mum been putting acid in the stotties again?

2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you JayRockers! in disguise?

Thx,

TD!

There's only room for one naysayer around here. :p

Oh, yeah, and this is a no trolling zone for those of you who've tried. :)

4. Alfiesdodgyknee

Alfiesdodgyknee New Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Glazer's Pocket
    They compare Steve McManaman to Steve Heighway and he's nothing like him, but I can see why - it's because he's a bit different."

"Despite his white boots, he has real pace... "

"You can't do better than go away from home and get a draw... "

"He can't speak Turkey, but you can tell he's delighted. "

"There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. "

"...using his strength. And that is his strength, his strength. "

"Gary always weighed up his options, especially when he had no choice. "

"I'm not disappointed - just disappointed. "

"The tide is very much in our court now. "

"Chile have three options - they could win or they could lose. "

"That would have been a goal if it wasn't saved. "

"I came to Nantes two years ago and it's much the same today, except that it's totally different. "

"A tremendous strike which hit the defender full on the arm - and it nearly came off. "

"The good news for Nigeria is that they're two-nil down very early in the game."

"The substitute is about to come on - he's a player who was left out of the starting line-up today. "

"That decision, for me, was almost certainly definitely wrong. "

"I know what is around the corner - I just don't know where the corner is. But the onus is on us to perform and we must control the bandwagon. "

"Hungary is very similar to Bulgaria. I know they're different countries... "

"In some ways, cramp is worse than having a broken leg. "

"The 33 or 34-year-olds will be 36 or 37 by the time the next World Cup comes around, if they're not careful. "

"England have the best fans in the world and Scotland's fans are second-to-none. "

"It's understandable that people are keeping one eye on the pot and another up the chimney. "

"I'd love to be a mole on the wall in the Liverpool dressing room at half-time. "

"It could be far worse for me if it was easy for me. "

"Discipline is not only very important, it's crucial. "

"Young Gareth Barry - he's young. "

"Argentina won't be at Euro 2000 because they're from South America. "

"They're the second best team in the world, and there's no higher praise than that."

"You don't get two chances at this level, or at any other level for that matter."

"You're not just getting international football, you're getting world football."

"Kanu, a guy with a heart as big as he is."

"Luis Figo is totally different to David Beckham, and vice versa."

"Football's always easier when you've got the ball."

"They don't come every three days, like they come after this one."

"I want more from David Beckham. I want him to improve on perfection."

"The tide is very much in our court now."

"There's a slight doubt about only one player, and that's Tony Adams, who definitely won't be playing tomorrow."

"We have spent three matches chasing a football."

"It's no longer an 11 man game."

"The Germans only have one player under 22, and he's 23."

"For some it's the ultimate job, for the others it's the last job."

"I've had an interest in racing all my life, or longer really."

"We managed to wrong a few rights."

"We are three games without defeat is another way of looking at it. But if we are honest we have taken two points from nine."

"He'll also be very dangerous from set-pieces. That means he'll be a threat from free-kicks and corners in the final third of the field."

"Danny Tiatto is not going to make a mistake on purpose."

"I'll never play at Wembley again, unless I play at Wembley again."

"You need 88 points for the title and we've got 61 at present with 16 games to go, but if you set targets you limit yourself."

"We deserved to win this game after hammering them 0-0 in the first half."

"He's got a heart as big as his size, which isn't big, but his heart's bigger than that'

"Well, if that's true then it would be a big surprise, but then nothing surprises me in football these days."

"You get bunches of players like you do bananas, though that is a bad comparison."

"Not many teams will come to Arsenal and get anything, home or away."

"Nicolas Anelka left Arsenal for £23million and they built a training ground on him."

"As far as I'm concerned, Danny Tiatto doesn't exist."

"One team with destiny already decided..."

"Maine Road was a great football stadium but as time moved on it stayed where it is...."

5. conchobar7

conchobar7 New Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Someone Promise me this is a good move for NUFC! :)

Why did Keegan leave the 1st time around? I'm sure I could search for it, but he was before my time. SBR was in charge when I found this frustrating club to support.

6. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Congrasts. King Kev has always been one of my favorite guys in football.

7. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Gibbs was my hero growing up in DC. He brought a championship and exciting football back to the nations capital. When he left Redskins fans were devastated. Fast Forward 12 years and 6 coaches later and Gibbs comes back and lo and behold the great Redskin hero struggled to recapture the glory days of old and he realized the game had passed him by. It wasn't until he brought in Al Saunders and Gregg Williams that the clubs fortunes changed a bit for the better. He's now retired and I have to ask myself why did he come back after so much time away? I don't know but I don't believe you should ever look back. The past is the past and you can never reclaim it.

8. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything old comes back New-castle!

Big PERM!!!

9. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA
    I have this recurring dream/nightmare where I'm driving down a one lane hedge-rowed country path at approximately 300 mph. Can't see what's around the next corner or what's over the next hill, but I keep racing hell bent for goddamned leather. It's all very thrilling until I come round a bend and plow straight into an skyscraper placed rather oddly (but seemingly obviously) in the middle of the road, and I ********ing die.

I'd never thought about it this way, but this dream parallels exactly my feelings regarding KK's last spell at Newcastle.

Reassuring enough for ye'?

10. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA
    you going to give Football365.com their due, or claim this list for yourself?

11. Crazy Man Michael

Mar 9, 2006
    Stroudsburg, PA
    To counter Gibbs I offer you Dick Vermeil - came back after around fifteen years out of coaching and wins a Super Bowl. Too early to tell if Keegan will be Gibbs, Vermeil, or something else altogether. Like Gibbs, Keegan is going to have to surround himself with good people to make a success of things and I hope he will.

12. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shay Given apparently said that everyone in the squad was pleased as punch and very happy about the appointment. So said BBC Radio Newcastle commentators just before kickoff today.

13. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlike Gibbs and Vermeil, Keegan is no tactical genius. Also unlike Gibbs and Vermeil, Keegan won nowt during the first go round.

I just hope he brings Shearer in so we can get both of these guys out of the way in 18 months -24 months when we're looking for a new manager. If you're not questioning this move in the least bit then something is wrong imo.

Of course he gets my support but don't expect me to be happy about it. I do hope Ashley sells the club soon I don't trust him to be a proper steward of the only football club I support.

14. Nookie Brown

Nookie Brown Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Virginia
    My thoughts exactly. What's to lose at this point? At the very least, Keegan will keep 'em coming to SJP.

15. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full of hate you are. Turning to the darkside I foresee.

[​IMG]

16. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Well, it's quite a risk for King Kev as if he fails he'll lose his hero status as will Big Al should he do the same. However, him taking such a risk means that he cares for the club immensely and that's what we've been lacking.

[youtube]kFv5kNVq_EM[/youtube]

17. ohhh_yeah

ohhh_yeah New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Portland
  18. ohhh_yeah

ohhh_yeah New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Portland
  19. ohhh_yeah

ohhh_yeah New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Portland

better video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOgPj-_UG2w

IMO

20. colinh9

colinh9 New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    NY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Well, I'd much rather have KK than Harry that's for sure. I'm pretty excited given he's got the full backing of the board now Hopefully we see Shearer come in as #2 and we go from there. Would be nice if he got some money to spend in January.

21. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    So, it's just Keegan, no Shearer?

I don't see this ending well at all. He all but walked out of a threadbare Citeh side 2 years ago and it didn't end well for his replacement, never-managed-before-except-for-a-year-as-a-player-manager Stuart Pearce.

As long as he keeps us up, he can have this caretaker role until the right replacement is found for next season.

Thx,

Jay!

22. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am amazed. Other would have been more, um, predictable but honestly predictability is the last thing we need.

I was also wondering how long it would take someone to link, or post a list of Keegan's non sequiters over the years...

Will we win anything under Keegan? Who cares honestly. We may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least we'll be enjoin' the ride :D

(yes I did just quote the Greatful Dead. :eek: Please shoot me)

23. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just don't polish a turd and tell me it's gold.

24. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Haha that awful yellow and green away strip was the first Newcastle strip I ever had as a lad... even then I thought it was hideous.

It's starting to sink in now... I suppose the next big question is Shearer as no. 2? Would it work? is it right? I've seen some idiots e-mailing sky sports news wanting every former player back in some capacity - I suppose if they had their way Ginola would be ironing the shirts and Rob Lee would be making the tea. That blog about bringing Beardsley back onboard.... Beardsley already still works at NUFC with the academy.

As far as transfers go - Keegan wouldn't have come back if he hadn't been promised money to spend. He left the club partially because they had been floated on the stock market and he thought they'd never do another deal like they did for Shearer. I think there is money available - Ashley just didn't trust Allardyce with it (which you have to say was understandable). He can lift the players we already have... and he just understands this club. A bit like Harry Redknapp seems to at Portsmouth.