Keane launches tirade

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by sinner78, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/6947333.stm

Keano is having a hard time attracting players to Sunderland and he thinks its all down to the fact that players want to go shopping in London with their wives.

I might offer up some reasons why players dont want to go there..

1)Even if a player was totally career driven and not bothered about shopping,why the f'ck would they join Sunderland? Its not like they have a hope in hell of ever being a consistent top team.

2)Keane has proven to be an impatient negotiator. David Nugent wanted time to consider the move to sunderland and weight up his options, but old keano wouldnt have any of that. It was "make a decision NOW or its off".

3)Sunderland have the most fairweather fans in the whole league. Attendances drop by 20,000+ in a bad season.

Welcome to reality ,keano...

2. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if all of your points have some merit, that doesn't make him wrong.

3. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Actually, it does. Sunderland is a total, total shithole. In the town hall, they've got a "Sunderland 2015" campaign which is aimed at spending the next eight long years working ceaselessy to raise the town up to the next attainable international benchmark - Beirut. "Keano" needs to face facts: players aren't saying no to him because their wives want to go shopping, they're saying no to him because they'd rather drill their own ears out than live and work in a toxic dump full of inbred Vikings. The whole "not sure the family would settle, mate, sorry" line is just the most readily available excuse.

4. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If players are giving out the "don't think the family can settle" excuse, what in the history of Roy Keane makes you think he isn't going to have a go?

He's trying to make it about football... or has Liverpool always been the cradle of European culture that it is today?

5. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That makes no sense. All we're saying is that the chances are people are going "pffff, Sunderland - not bloody likely" and Keane is choosing to interpret that as some sort of convoluted blah blah about the player's wife. No - it's much simpler: no one wants to go to Sunderland because it's a shithole and the club still has a stature as a minor yo-yo outfit, Roy Keane or no Roy Keane.

I'm sure if he keeps them up this season that will slowly start to change, but in the meantime, 'the player's wife' my arse.

6. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    All the newly promoted teams have had problems getting players.
    Middlesbrough dont have problems getting players and that town is supposed to be an even bigger sh1tehole. Sunderland cant get players because keane is a bad negotiator and they dont want to match the wages Boro offer.

7. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This is about getting players? He's lost Mido to Boro which isn't that much higher up the swanky scale. And he lost one to both Liverpool and Portsmouth. How many wags do you think want to be there?

Don't you think a man that has seen his teammates basically capitulate to Posh and Coleen might be grinding another axe? I do.

8. RonnieWhelan

RonnieWhelan New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Keane is right in what he's doing. He's on the look out for the right players, people who are interested in playing football. If a player stalls in negotiations then Keane might see this as a lack of desire/commitment to play for the club e.g. is this a player that maybe 8 months down the line is gonna start looking for another club using Sunderland as a stepping stone or is this a player genuinely interested in what Keane is trying to develop at the club?

9. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middlesbrough_F.C.#Current_squad

Boro's squad is pretty good. Players like Tuncay arent in Boro for the glamour.
    Roy will have to realise that teams in undesirable markets have to pay extra wages to get the players. He cant play hardball in negotiations when he is from Sunderland .

10. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    you see this in all industries when you are trying to attract talent and their is a shortage of warm bodies.

try getting good people for your business in china.

11. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

I think Keane is on to something....however....lets see...I can live in London or Sunderland..??....tough choice.

on a related note wasn't there the wife of a Brazilian playing for Boro a few years ago who referred to Middlesbrough as "A strange and terrible place".....

12. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    I would bet that the only Boro players who live anywhere near Middlesbrough itself are the local kids. Many live in places like Yarm or even down as far as Harrogate or Knaresborough. Likewise, I can't imagine any of Sunderland's signings would end up living there. You could get a very nice place in Durham, Northumberland or North Yorkshire and still be within a short commute of Sunderland.

13. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    That was probably the wife of Emerson.

[​IMG]

He went AWOL even though he was on block buster wages.
    and wheeled out the old "in brazil everyone is poor but we are happy" routine.

14. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001

Yeah ,good call.
    The towns might be rough but the surrounding areas are always good wherever you go in england.
    Like Blackburn is a hellhole ,but that doesnt matter because all the players live in Wilmslow.

15. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pot calling the kettle black!!! Ill be honest Sunderland isnt the most glamorous place to live but it isnt a shithole. Considering youre from liverpool where its smackhead central, boarded up houses galore, murdering scumbags because of a persons race, Abandoned shops which are obviosly only there for money laundering by the citys gangsters where you have at least 10 murders a week. Id advise you to shut up and go buy another shell suit. Yes Sunderland isnt the most glamourous but so what at least we arent ************ scousers who think the whole world is against them as the rest of the world doesnt punch, steal or murder their own people

16. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Awww. Did I make you cry?

See, the difference here is that I've actually been to Sunderland - quite a number of times, in fact. You, on the other hand, have clearly never got beyond the outer suburbs of Sunderland. Not that Sunderland has what the rest of us would recognise as suburbs. And you've certainly never been to Liverpool. But full marks for cramming the whole range of cliches about the place into that one inarticulate rant. Inelegant, but certainly marked by exertion and commitment. Not bad for someone who is probably dying of Rickets at this very moment. You should scab a lift to Newcastle and see if you can't rob some fresh fruit or something.

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    liverpool is actually quite awesome these days

my mates say good things about newcastle as well

18. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Why would playing for Sunderland necessitate living in Sunderland?

19. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It doesn't practically the entire squad either live in Newcastle or County Durham

20. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was in Liverpool a couple of months back and awesome isn't the word I'd use.

It had two things going for it a.) it wasn't as bad as it use to be and b.) it ain't Stoke.

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    well - i was limiting awesome to "going out to great restaurants/pubs/cafe's" which is the only stuff i do there apart from work

22. TheBlackCat

TheBlackCat New Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Wonderland
    Spot on mate well said.

Any footballer who is a family man with kids who is considering switching clubs has to consider the impact that might have upon his family.Thats a no brainer and it's both right and proper that he does that.However i still feel Roy Keane has a point.
    He feels that football is no longer the sole consideration for a lot of players and for someone like him that comes first.Thats just the type of bloke he is.

Bloody hell Matt,you have a pop at the bloke for using cliches and then you babble on about rickets and nicking fresh fruit.Dont talk bollocks man.
    Stick to talking about football.Then again,having seen your prediction in regard to Keane becoming Sunderland manager maybe not eh ;).

23. canadianscraggledog

canadianscraggledog New Member

Jun 26, 2005
    London, Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    May have been Juninho's wife :D

24. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, you get out of life what you put in. Did the original post warrant greater effort? I think not.

25. RonnieWhelan

RonnieWhelan New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Doubt it seeing as he signed for Middlesbro' 3 times. More than likely it was Emersons missus.