KC Wizards v Man. Utd. Sunday, July 25th at 5 p.m [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by RobbHeineman, Apr 22, 2010.

1. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Question 4: What international games?

I guess what I was trying to ask is if the FO office going to have a big list of choices.

3. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think he asked who we would like to see the Wizards play not who you thought would bring out the fans...

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No he didn't, but it's certainly a factor that will be taken into account.

5. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  6. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well no sh*t but no need to post that (NorthBH) and if someone wants to see an Aussie team or an Irish team, and it was asked generally who someone wants to see w/o asking about ticket sales or bringing fans out, then it should have been left alone.

I still say an Irish team or Irish National team. Hell any national team!!!

7. CTMo

CTMo Member

Jul 7, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

+1 on both of those ideas, especially Sevilla. I know Spurs are coming to the US this summer, so this could actually be a possibility if they keep up the pre-season US tours. City would be fun too.

I would love to see an Italian team, but outside of Inter and Milan, would any other teams want to come over here?

What about Rangers or Celtic? It seems like they have fans everywhere.

8. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

That I would pay to see...

9. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

+1... This was a factor in why I didn't renew my season tickets for this year. Even though I was able to sell my tickets through Sam last year, the return was still below the value of the Wizards playing either of those MFL teams.

If the Wizards are not involved in the match, then it should not be a part of the Wizards season ticket package.

On the positive side of the ledger, I would LOVE to see the 4-team tournament idea that has been floated come to fruition. I don't know how much it would conflict with the "Super"Liga, but I would definitely pay to see that.

10. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO

Me too, but I wouldn't go out of my way to drink much. I think in that scenario, better to be fully alert, no?

I'd like to see any team that KC can beat convincingly or any national team that plays an entertianing style. Anything that avoids a 1-0 scoreline. It's a friendly, gimme goals.

I also like others' ideas of sister cities. Wrap a unique KCW (read:non touristy) trip opportunity to the back end and maybe that is something that can become an annual or every-other year thing to be planned and saved for. If things like this can work today, if the economy ever recovers for everyone then all the better.

11. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

With Mo playing one half for each team ;)

12. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO

I enjoyed the Chivas-Club America match as much as any Wizards game I saw last year. I probably wouldn't have paid 30 to go see it on my own, but since it was included in my season tickets, I went and had a great time. I definitely felt it was more worth my money than the 106 degree Atlas game in St. Louis - or possibly any of the crap run out by Onalfo for a few months there in the summer.

It would've been fun to see the Wizards play either of those teams, I agree, and I see your point about Wizards season tickets involving the Wizards, but I can't complain about getting a ticket for one of the best rivalries in this hemisphere. Would you be happy if that ticket let you see Celtic v Rangers here in KC, or is it really about the Wizards?

13. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001

Yeah... with that kind of draw in a smaller stadium of 18,000.... your chances of making some extra cash by scalping your season ticket(s) would be a distinct possibility. Might even be able to pay for the entire season package.

14. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To me, it really is about the Wizards. Not to fully rehash the arguments that were raised when this issue came up last year, or the side argument of holding a "Home" match in St. Louis, but I bought season tickets with the understanding that I would be able to see 15 league matches plus three non-league or playoff Wizards games. I knew that the possibility existed to not see those extra games, but I purchased with the understanding that un-used Special Game tickets would credited to my account for future years.

I would have gone if it were a doubleheader - with the Wizards on either end of it. I would have gone if the Wizards were playing either team. And I might have purchased a ticket if Wizards STH were given a discount. But since the Wizards weren't involved, I don't think it should have been a Season Ticket game.

15. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO

Ok fair enough - just checking. I remember seeing your preference for an EPL team last year, but I feel like if we got the Rangers v Celtic game thats happening in Boston this year, I'd much rather have that included than Open Cup or Superliga tickets that will cost me 10-15 bucks.

16. nonflyingdutchman

nonflyingdutchman New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We need to start a tradition of testimonial games. After a player has played with a team for say 5 years, the team organizes a testimonial game with some of the proceeds to go to the charity of the players choice. That way we could put together teams with players from throughout the honorees career. Or a soccer hall of fame charity game with all of the wizard alumni that are in the hall of fame.

17. nonflyingdutchman

nonflyingdutchman New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe Ryan still has some pull and we could get Arsenal to come over.

18. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO

Who do we play in say, Jimmy Conrad's testimonial match? For Pele it was his old club Santos v the Cosmos and he played a half for each side.

19. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

+1 for me as well. If I pay for a Wizards season ticket, I want all tickets in the package to be for Wizards games within the city somewhere (no more St. Louis home games)--preferably ALL of them at the new stadium starting next year and beyond. I like the idea of doubleheaders for those games not including the Wizards, or if we eventually get a WPS team.

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Earthquakes?

The bigger question is a guy like Arnaud or Jewsbury who haven't played anywhere else.

I don't think you put a year number on being available for a testimonial, I mean Chris Brown was here 5 years and I can't think of many if any Wizards fans that think he deserves a testimonial. I loved Uche Okafor, but I don't think he does either. There has to be some other factor involved with players other than longevity (sp?) to earn a testimonial. Guys like Preki, Garcia, Conrad, Meola even. Those guys were here for long periods of time and also had other factors going for them.

21. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I guess I can understand where you are coming from but I dont see how a soccer fan could not be interested in watching one of the most intense rivalries in soccer. I guess if you had plans or whatever but if you didnt, I dont see how you could have just missed that match just because.

I think the Wizards did STHs a huge favor by offering them that ticket. That game was $30 or more to go to and we got to go for the cost of a ticket that was going to be unused. I probably would have payed the $30 or $40 to go but instead it saved me that cash.

I would be more than willing to do it again as well for a exhibition like that. That game was better played than any Wizards game that season and the environment was electric.

22. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Testimonials are usually for 10 years aren't they?

23. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Another option is to offer STH's a significant discount on tickets to any non-Wizards match if they are purchased through the FO.

24. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

At least in the UK they were. Much of the time the gate went into the player on the receiving end of the testimonial as well ... often post retirement, especially if there was injury involved. It was like a Golden Handshake ....

Not sure it applies anymore.

25. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I see no reason that STH can't be given the choice to use a ticket on a non-Wizards game, as long as not using that option doesn't count against them. Honestly, I feel that the bigger issue with the whole Chivas/America game was the St. Louis 'home' game rather than the Chivas/America game.

But putting last year aside, I think that it's perfectly acceptable to give STH multiple options for the special tickets - logistically it would be best for everyone if the options were laid out before either match occurred and one of the two games which _does_ involve the Wizards is the 'default' and what the ticket is 'really' for, but STH could have the option of trading in for the other, non-Wizards game at their discretion and possibly purchase additional tickets to the 'default' game.

Now, from a business standpoint this makes less sense... but in that respect it made little sense to even give STH the option to use their "B" ticket for the Chivas/America game. Perhaps they then would have to give credit for the "B" ticket for those who couldn't make it to St. Louis, but even if they sold tickets to STH at $20 for the Chivas game they might've come out close to the same place. I know I would've gone to that game if I had to pay full price - perhaps my wife wouldn't have, but it really was a great thing to be a part of (sans almost getting beer and other projectiles thrown at me when fans from each team went at it in my section - but that was hardly the OnGoal's/Wizard's fault).

This is all to say: do think about how you present such opportunities in the future (like emphasize 'option' to use the Special Game B ticket, don't count it against people who don't want to see non-Wizards matches), but please don't nix the concept entirely either.