KC Wizards Stadium News/Discussion 08.2 (Now Governor approved!)

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Beech, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to start a new thread with news hopefully to come soon on the State funding side of the project and hopefully some semi-finalized designs released real soon.

Rehash the last thread here:

Current visual overview of the entire development:
    [​IMG]

Everyone please be civil.

Trolls will be dealt with severely. This is a long, drawn out, touchy subject for Kansas City fans and we're nearing some legit announcements for our future grounds. It will get worse for us with regards to atmosphere before it gets extremely better. Many other MLS fans have no idea the frustration that has existed for the last 3 season (sans San Jose). Finally there is a light visable at the end of the tunnel but they'll be some work to get to it; we know that it's pretty obvious. If you come here to merely dog on attendance for any reason other than genuine capacity discussion you will be carded and banned. I will then ban your brothers, your sisters, slap your momma's, and kick your dog. Straight up, news and analysis type posts here please.

Carry on...

2. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: KC Wizards Stadium News/Discussion 08.2

FIRST PAGE! Just a reminder....Tolbert is a racist jerkwad. :D

3. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You go girl!!

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You tell 'em.

5. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Someone give Beech his meds .... wow! Nice work moderator guy!

6. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Now that's moderation like mother used to make! I like it. :D

7. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Guys, that blurb is merely a copy and paste from the first post of the last thread yet, it didn't warrant this kind of response. Don't beleive me click the link back and notice it's the same one only with a picture added.

8. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought there was already a WalMart out there...and it just recently closed. How could they possibly think building a new one would be able to anchor a mall, let alone be able to support itself, when the one that was there couldn't stay open?

9. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So in the NBC article linked in the previous version of this thread there is the quote: "Sharp says an ordinance to build the stadium takes effect Friday evening while demolition of the mall should begin this spring." From this it sounds like things are moving forward but it also mentions that Tolbert is planning to sue the city. What grounds is he trying to use to sue the city to stop the demo of the mall?

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Wal-mart there had been a Hypermart. With the Walmart Supercenter opening at I-70 and 40 highway where Blue Ridge Mall used to be, that Hypermart shut down. There's always been rumors that a smaller, regular Wal-Mart would be built somewhere near there to help offset the loss of the Hypermart. But I agree with your statement none the less.

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dusty in the last thread mentioned something about him sueing to hold it up because he can say he has a "plan for the area that needs to be looked at." Don't know how that would work, if dusty's around he could elaborate.

12. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If that's the case then he's probably basically looking to basically extort the city and developers. Delay it, delay it, delay it until they give him hush money so they can just move on.

13. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sorry, I just saw that the WalMart wasn't there anymore when we were driving around before a Chiefs game. Anyway, I still say that it wouldn't work. We have an old, behind the times mall in the DSM area that is losing a lot of business, and its being anchored by a Target, JC Penny, and a Kohls, all of which are better than a WalMart, and its still not getting much business. All I know is that I went to that Walmart on Hillcrest earlier last year, and was never so nervous in my life. I wasn't too broken up when I saw it wasn't there anymore.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Which mall in DM is that? No need to apologize, I figured since you don't live in KC you wouldn't know all the info about what's going on down here all the time.

15. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This makes me wonder about something. Are they going to do the demolition of the entire area before they start constuction on the stadium? If there is a legal delay from Tolbert regarding the mall itself, can't they at least start demolishing the buildings where the stadium is going to be built (Best Buy/Toys R Us) to get that area going? He says that he only cares about the mall in his new "plan", not the rest of the buildings around it. I'm not saying they should leave the mall permanently, but hopefully they could at least start working on the other buildings first so the stadium construction doesn't get delayed too much. I know it would be more cost efficient to all the demolition at the same time, but I would think the mall demolition might be a different animal anyway with the multi-levels. Just wondering out loud (sort of :D).

16. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Am I missing something or isn't a retail sector part of the plan as well and it is already drawn up to be in about the same location as the current 70's something mall structure. Why can't Tolbert re-open his business in the new retail sector? I'm sure many of the spaces will be available for lease.

17. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just a wild guess, but I'm thinking that the rent for space in the new retail area is going to be a wee higher than in the run down old mall with weeds growing in the parking lot. But I completely agree that this should be the city's reply to him. His only rebuttal would be that with the mall being all run down, the rent is cheap. Would be funny to try to hear him spin that one.

18. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO

A little late on my research here, but why isn't Tolbert in Jail? Reading the "Blight King" article ( http://www.pitch.com/2006-08-17/news/the-blight-king/1 ) it seems to me there are pleny of ways the city could go after him. The back taxes alone should be enough, and income tax evasion could probably be proven. It is a shame that in our country the legal system is set up so that a criminal like Tolbert can deny tax paying citizens and elected officials the right to do something positive. I sure hope any suit he files is quickly dismissed.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. dusty144

dusty144 Member

Sep 14, 2006

This is the most likely thought. They want their cut.

What they don't realize is that there is no obvious legal way to do this now. By making themselves so visible any attempt to accommodate them will only create a bigger stink.

This why your mamma told you to never to take a dump where you eat.

They have gone after his money owed many many times only for him to declare bankruptcy each time. The mortage companies alone are owed in the millions, including back charges. The way the codes are right now, it allows ten people to abuse the system to protect the one innocent who genuinely needs it.

There is no way Lane 4 will allow this crowd to return with their flea market into their relatively upscale Billion $ investment. And Tolbert & co know it, which is why they are angling for a pay off. They have always stood outside hat in had claiming, '..All we want is to be treated fair..'.

As far as the WalMart claim, Tolbert's dream has always been to start a 'Black' WalMart. Apparently somewhere he can control the purse strings of the community.

21. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have a new nickname for Tolbert....Loophole. Simply amazing that they can't pin something on this a$$hole. People that try in vain to save their homes have them put in foreclosure by the mortgage companies that preyed on them to begin with, and this guy can keep his stinkhole houses? Something is wrong with the system in a HUGE way. He must have aced Loophole 101 at Yale.

22. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Merle Hay Mall. Ever since Jordan Creek was built and Valley West was renovated(note: renovations weren't due to gang violence and there were no major repairs needed, just enough to compete with JC) it has been clearly the third tier mall of an area that isn't quite big enough to support 3 malls, currently.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok, I figured. I have friends from college that live by Merle Hay.

24. brodi60901

brodi60901 Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Altoona, IA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I actually prefer Merle Hay Mall, and I'm white! (but the wife's Korean). It seems like the only mall in that area where you can see a decent ratio of diversity. Jordan Creek is primarily WASP's (like myself) and the rich and/or "emo/goth/skater boi" teenagers whom I despise.

That's actually why I think the retail development at Hillcrest will work. The ethnic and economic diversity that the area will see once the stadium and youth fields are in, means that even the little mom and pop/niche stores will have a crowd to cater to.

Geez, I know nothing about economics or gov't but I feel smarter than Tolbert, who it seems hasn't figured this simple point out yet (or maybe he has and is just holding out for the easy hush money rather than do the work to come up with capital and buy a store in the new development).

25. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, you're half right.