KC Wizards @ FC Dallas Pre-Game Extravaganza [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not that worried, I for one look forward to the renewal of his rivalry with Nick.

2. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Nick Garcia versus Carlos Ruiz is the best player vs player rivalry in the league. When those two play, the odds are about at 30% that one of the two will be ejected.

3. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, i would love to know what kind of trash talk they do to each other.

4. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it's usually not Nick.

In fact, the only red card i can ever remember Nick getting in MLS was on 2001 opening day in DC when he literally looked like an 8 year old rec league player using his hands to block the ball away from his face in the box.

5. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I would like to make a motion to call it the pre-game extrava-groin-za. :D

I would say we're in for another wild one like the game against Houston, but that damn ESPN2 is also in town.

6. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Okay, I think the Groin has been taken too far.

7. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's why Jimmy needed to have surgery in the first place...:D

8. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys do realize that we've started the season perfectly with Shavar Thomas starting all three games, right? And that we're contemplating benching him for this one?

Bad karma.

:D

9. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    As Matt pointed out, watching Ruiz and Garcia go at it is fun. I'll never forget a game, I think in 2003, when they went at it at Arrowhead. All game long they were barking at one another, and Garcia won out on the day. :)

10. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I'm just about an hour away, north of Trenton. You'd be welcome if you like. Heck of a lot closer for you. (of course, have to ask the wife first.) As long as you don't care that the house is a mess. :D

11. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes me miss Deigo Serna vs. Nick Garcia. Specifically the playoff game where Serna karate chopped Nick in the mouth.

12. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Thanks for the offer but I'll humbly decline. I'm pretty sure I can find a place to watch it Sunday.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I remember Jeff Bradley advocating an indefinite suspension for Serna over that.

Of course he got nothing for breaking Brad Guzan's jaw upon his return to the league last fall.

[​IMG]

The league has had some "hard" players that everyone hates - except when they're on "your" team, but Serna is the one player - as talented as he is - that I really don't think I could stomach in a Wizards uniform.

14. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Well I've read a confident post or 2 on the Dallas boards about them being ready for the 4-3-3. I imagine their advantage is perceived mostly in midfield, but they haven't seen anything like us this year either. I do like the way they move the ball around though.

They're weak in back I think, and we should have an advantage on set pieces. It would've been hard to make more bad decisions than Clarence Goodsen did against Colorado. Also, I know if Bobby Rhine sees George at the game, they're already going to be down to 10 so it'll be even tougher.

Either way, afternoon national television - I'm guessing a 1-1 tie - and that's only because these are two of the more potent attacks in the league.

15. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    The more I think about it, I really think Gansler is a genius for this formation. Obviously Johnson had to do the work to get the roster together to make it possible as well.
    But no one in MLS plays this style, and it's throwing teams off. Some teams might have played an attacking 3-5-2 with an attacking midfielder that only plays offense, but I can't recall a 4 man back line formation with this much attack-minded soccer. Things that we've seen or read about this formation that I am absolutely falling in love with...
    1) Burciaga stating in the preseason that the new formation puts him closer to midfield. In previous years he had to start his attacking from very deep, but now with the midfielders all central, he slides into the void along the sidelines. We have seen the results with Groenwalds performance in the home opener and Burciaga's game in Dallas.
    2) Zavagnin and Victorine can be used to their full potential. That potential? Win the balls in the midfield and get the ball to the outside backs, the other mid or the outside forwards. These two are very good at their role.
    3) I LOVE three forwards. I was never a fan of it until now, but the outside forwards give a width to the attack that I never appreciated.
    4) This has nothing to do with the formation, but we have a LOT of great options on set pieces as well. Name a team in this league that has the height to cover Conrad, Thomas, Victorine and Johnson.

I generally stay on the conservative side of getting excited early, but I'm really pumped about the possibilities here. Hell they've got me worked up enough out it that I've started playing this formation on Winning Eleven! :)

16. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, I am the same way. This formation is rocking my world, and is so much more enjoyable than our previous ones. I'm really hoping that we crush the paradigm of afternoon televised games by scoring about 11 goals.

17. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually talked to Rhine during the Reserve game last season. Laughed about my comment. Pretty nice guy.

18. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll play devil's advocate here (read: wet blanket)

Let's keep it in check here, so far we've beaten:
    1) What people are calling a high school team this year masquerading as the Columbus Crew 3-1 in our home opener. (4 starters returning from last year and 1 that didn't even play in the game Hejduk)
    2) A heavenly, life saving, 90th minute blast of a shot by Burciaga against a 10 man Dynamo team to steal a win against a team that outplayed us for most of the match.
    3) Eeked a 1 goal win with a perfectly placed header that fortunately was defended against a vertically challenged player in Franchino who subbed out due to injury 10 minutes later; also against a team that hasn't scored since last season. (It was a beauty of a header though) The Revs offense has been anemic to date.

Yes we're doing everthing it takes to win. The skill, the luck, even the current form of our Keeper are all going our way. This formation is giving up the midfield and our backline will get pressured now all game. So far I'd say we've only looked consitently solid only in the Columbus game after minute 20. Houston, not so much. Revs, have no attacking bite at the moment and honestly thier defense (mainly Reis) held us in check pretty good.

I honestly think this formation could work good for us this year and with our personnel however, I do think it could get exposed badly by dominant 3-5-2 teams with a strong midfield. A team like DC will be a very good litnus of this as they have strikers that just need a flash of space to convert and an aggressive 5 man midfield that's bound to run any 3 man midfield into the ground after 60 minutes or so. And we've yet to put any team away other than Columbus. Defineitely had no chance against Houston and couldn't capitalize the few times we exposed the Revs.

My point. I'm encouraged but not sold yet because it needs more time. Wolff has yet to produce even after getting a gift PK. EJ's shown flashes but really his only good shot in 270+ minutes was the one he converted after his great run and perfect cross that was given to him. I still say Davy has been our best overall forward and he's even the one that has to track all the way back at times to the backline. Think Josh would ever follow someone that far back?

All signs look good but don't be surprised if Dallas can get us. They have several players that can strike (even their outside backs). Can we get up on them and put the game out of contention early? I'm seeing a tie.

19. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You've got a very good post there, Beech. I think everything you said definitly has merit. The thing that bothers me about this team is that we have an insane front line of 3 wonderful attackers of which two are Natty members who are most likely going to the WC, and they have yet to click. Wolff hasn't scored a goal, EJs lone goal was a gift agaisnt the afformentioned high school team in disguise. If these guys get their stuff together, we can beat any team in this league, no questions asked. There is simply no other offense that would be able to counter our goals thru a four man defense. Right now, however, that is a really big if. Like you said, Arnaud looks like the best forward we got right now, Wolff and Johnson really have to push forward and start clicking if we want to go all the way this year. We've got an amazing start on the season but that doesn't mean anything if we can't win a single game in 8 straight later on this year. To do that, Johnson is going to have to get used to how physical everyone is being with him this year. He's going to have to start playing the ball and not playing the foul. Wolff is just going to have to get more involved, it seems like we've seen him with the ball very little during this short campaign. Our passing as a team, although better than last year, still needs to be kicked up a notch if we want to continue this. We've played some tough teams so far, but we've got lucky.
    If we can get our passing down solid and Wolff and Johnson get involved we'll be unstoppable.

20. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't even know who you are anymore. That guy is getting it on Sunday.

21. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If anything, I'm looking forward to playing against the 3-5-2, especially when Van den Bergh arrives. The 3-5-2 has fallen out of favor internationally because that formation is dog meat against the 4-3-3.

22. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly D.C. won't be able to commit all 5 midfielders forward due to the fact that they can't leave their 3 backs 1v1 with our 3 forwards. So in affect their 3-5-2 becomes a 4-4-2 and their numerical superiority in midfield is negated.

I've been a fan of the 4-3-3 for the last couple of years ever since my college team started using it.

23. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    This is a team that has scored the second most goals in the league thus far and their two most talented players are in an obvious funk. They can't score in practice. They can't get chances in games. It doesn't matter. EJ is way in a rut. So is Wolff. Yet KC has still scored 6 goals. Just wait for EJ and Wolff to break out of it... then you'll see some real fireworks.

24. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully it'll be this sunday, but since it's a nationally televised game it probably won't.

25. KCBearcat

KCBearcat New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States