Post-match: KC vs. TFC [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Unorthodox Yank, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thought when I heard the sub was that we were going more with a 3-5-2 to help gain some control of the midfield that we'd lost completely in the first half to Toronto, with Guevara and DeRo in there, they were running all over our midfield. My assumption when Espinoza was subbed in was that he'd go left, Lopez would push up top, and Gomez would drop the midfield to help out there.

2. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Very good points. We definitely did play much more attack oriented in the second half, but TFC's second goal was a complete "goal against the run of play" that was 100% attributed to a defensive melt down. That kind of substitution needs to be made if we are still down at 60' or 70'.

Wahl being expansion drafted from us may have left a bigger hole than we realize.

3. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, but it would be pretty naive of Onalfo to think that we were going to turn the tables in the midfield battle just by outnumbering them. Especially when it comes at the expense of our defense.

Besides, Gomez isn't really the kind of player that you would rely on to help control possession or organize the midfield. His role has always been to add an offensive spark and/or to be explosive, not a calming influence.

4. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have loved to have seen us play a 3 man back line with Wahl, Hohlbein, and Conrad.

Unfortunately, that also would have left us with almost zero defensive depth...but it's fun to think about. :)

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not disagreeing with you, just saying that was my thought when I saw the change that Onalfo made.

6. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    KC's two opening day record streaks were broken on Saturday. The Wizards had won 4 straight opening games, and had gone 7 years without a loss.

7. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there an echo?

8. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Just want to say massive thanks to the Cauldron for making my trip to KC an awesome one. Many of you made us feel welcome and took the extra effort doing so, esp after incident with one douche at the tailgate. Kinda funny the troublemakers werent even wearing a Wizards kit.

I know from the guys I spoke with were quite appreciative of you guys and all you did for us. The friendliness between TFC groups and the Cauldron was good to see and something that this league could use a lot of. (Foes during the game, but before and after that, it's all cool)

The Cauldron scarf I picked up is going up on my wall and I know I will try to make it down to Kansas City whenever I can. (but no more 15hr drives)

Oh, if anyone has a torrent link to the game, would be much appreciated

PS: Thank goodness for the hotties of the Cauldron. Before the tailgate, all I saw were pudgy, old or fugly girls and I didnt want that to be my impression of the womenfolk of KC ;)

PPS: Can TFC have Arnaud too? That boy is going to be something special for you guys.

9. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say he already is.

10. Ben - D.O.W.

Ben - D.O.W. New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I would also like to say a huge thank you to the Cauldron and all the fans we met this past weekend - you guys were amazing and it was great to meet so many of you. If you ever make it up to Toronto I'm sure any TFC fans who came down with us would love to return your hospitality.

Good luck with the rest of your season (well except against us).

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to meet you and the other D.O.W.'s and thanks to whichever in your group it was I traded scarves with.

12. Mdarney

Mdarney Member

Apr 3, 2005
    KC Midtown
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the Wizards' website:

"As the Wizards kick off the season against Toronto FC, show The Reds that their fans aren't the only loud ones in MLS. The Wizards will support Build the Cauldron activities and encourage the entire stadium to be loud and supportive on opening night."

I didn't see this happening. Maybe this shouldn't be planned without a speaker system?

Happily, Davy is at the top of the MLS Golden Boot list (along with 4 others). I'll bet he stays right up there.

13. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  14. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I said in the predictions thread that Davy will have a 10/10season. He got off to a great start to that. I also said at one point in the offseason that Davy would compete for the Golden Boot at some point in his career.

15. soccerpatch11

soccerpatch11 Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did Josh Wolff not get credit for an assist on Davy's first goal? He played the ball to Claudio, who took a touch then laid it off to Davy. I think MLS will fix that.

On another note, vote for Davy's goal for goal of the week. Amado Guevara is winning right now with 44% of the vote.

16. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? It was a poor ball that Lopez had to take an awkward touch to control. Indeed, if Lopez hadn't managed to change his momentum, that's a turnover. No way does Wolff deserve an assist on that.

17. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too many secondary assists get handed out. I think even Espinoza's was a little questionable, the second goal was all made by how well Hirsig brought the ball down. But Espinoza's is more like what a secondary assist can be, not really Wolff's pass to Lopez.

19. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you post a link? I am not finding it on mlsnet.com ... and i am really looking

edit: found it... here we go...
    http://web.mlsnet.com/sights/goal_of_the_week/

20. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both of Davy's goals were awesome.

But no way does he beat Kenny Cooper this week.

21. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^ yeah... i would have to agree...

do we have video of the 2nd Arnaud goal though?

22. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but in my book Arnaud has Cooper beat. Bad goalkeeping does not a GotW make. (Busch should have made that save...)

Regardless, the folks from up north will probably stuff for Amado - which is okay, because his was a pretty good goal...

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See my distaste for Cepero's goal last year being up for goal of the year.

24. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd rep you but i have apparently done that too much... thanks for the link...