Post-match: KC vs. TFC [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Unorthodox Yank, Mar 21, 2009.

1. matthias

matthias New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    opark ks
    Re: WOW guys settle down alot more to go

Besides the defensive errors.....we had a good spell of posession and attack the second half. I will agree the Cauldron needs to be on the same page......the "splinter" groups are crap, get with the program. Seriously, enough with the drunken "*uck you toronto"chant? "TFC are P*ssies?" Cmon, I saw at least two families leave at halftime because of the cursing. Spend your energy chearing for your team, and forget the TFC supporters. 100 or so TFC supporters sounded as good as the 300 peeps in the Cauldron.

Did you think the dozen of you are really impacting the match by yelling at opposing supporters who CAN'T hear you? Note to self: Bandana on the face = ASSH#LES.
    You guys are jackasses and need to calm down and remember, if those families dont come back, you are hurting the TEAM. Get it? We are on a team.........I would say the TFC supporters got the best of you, by focusing all your energy cussing at them, thats equivelent to NOT chearing for the boys in blue.

Its cool they came all the way here to support their team and it's pretty wack to waste energy yelling at them. Ill say it again, its "neat" we have some little groups, and "lame" that the little groups LOVE to curse. CALM YOURSELVES. Cursing was cool when you were 14.

Hirsig fooled everyone but Davey with his no-look drop off pass assist. He was stellar, He walked through a couple double teams, very creative and good vision. Things will get better, I love our never say die attitude. Best TFC team Ive seen so far. Lopez and Hirsig worked well together. Alltogether, I give us a C, it was.......ok.

2. TasteTheRainbow

Aug 22, 2007
    Olathe, KS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While I agree with your post, this part might be going too far. The bandana is an american outlaw thing, and erics group chose to copy it. The AO has a majority of great people, most of who wear bandanas, and they don't want a couple idiots, who aren't even part of AO KC to ruin their image.

3. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its very unfortunate that i think your assessment is spot on. there is still a lot of people that are there for the community and experience of the section but the percentage of uneducated (to the section) people has climbed very high or just the sheer volume of their stupidity is dragging the morale of the section so far down and has become tarnished for quite a few.

4. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i agree, most of you guys are great stand up guys supporting the growth of the sport and its a few asses that are giving you all a bad name and our section.

5. matthias

matthias New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    opark ks

I can agree it's probably some bad apples,YOU ask them to calm down the poor language. It costs the team money. We can't afford to LOSE any fans because of a few drunken morons. I think the cauldron does do a spectacular job when it's in sync, but last night, it was not at all. I guess my bandana comment is from listening to the bandana kids cuss and watching families leave, sorry, but that is not a good thing........maybe come gametime, all the little groups should ignore their personal group identities in favor of coming together with the overall cauldron, instead of trying to stand out.
    We have to police ourselves and have a bigger picture of support as one, I am not scared to call somebody an Ass if they are acting like one, we should all think of the team first and the bigger picture of how bad behavior by a few, can hurt the team as a whole. If those families never come back this season, that's really lost dollars.

The same group of fans spent last years playoff game with CBUS doing the exact same thing, what a waste of energy and voice. Talk to them, explain it.

The bad apples are making YOUR group look bad. They are biting your style, acting up, and most people probably associate them WITH you. I did.

6. TasteTheRainbow

Aug 22, 2007
    Olathe, KS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree....

As I watch the game right now on TV, I noticed a few things.... was the mic behind the net there last year? I noticed it last night, and on TV everything Hartman says is picked up. Also, I wonder if this helps the Cauldrons sound level? Because at there very start of the match, the Cauldron sounded amazing on the "Here we go" chant. Sadly, that was probably one of 3 chants we did in unison last night. Another thought, what was up with that bird chirping sound last night? I kept hearing it, and now that I rewatch the game, is comes through clearly all the time.

Edit: I think Hartman might of actually said the F word more than the Cauldron last night.

7. yanksoccerfan

yanksoccerfan New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Kansas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Reminds me of last season with Kurt "blow the f***ing whistle." Game being tevo going to watch it after the KU game

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So of note about last night's game, it's the first home opener since 1999 that we've failed to get a point from, and the first time since 2004 that we haven't won our home opener. And the first time since 2001 that we've failed to get even a point out of our season opener.

9. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    The obvious bright spot was Arnaud. He exceeded even our lofty expectations.

The other high note for me was Hirsig. I'm not sure why he didn't start, but will assume there is a good reason and that he'll be going 90 for us soon.

Everything else was an incomplete grade, at best.

A larger concern for me is that Hirsig is the only upgrade to the squad from last year's group (Zusi is an incomplete at this point). If Hirsig is the only substantial improvement then we have to wonder what the front office is doing. It's not like this was a great team that just needed tweaking.

10. dr_gooch41

dr_gooch41 New Member

May 6, 2003
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they were counting on having the Claudio Lopez that showed up in the last month of the season. They were also very active in the mid-season transfers and will get a full year of Josh Wolff and Herculez Gomez. They also probably thought that Espinoza/Harrington/Leathers would take a big leap forward.

11. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what was the deal with the cauldron singing the national anthem two verses in front of the actual singer? my personal preference is to only sing like that if it's just the music (ala a world cup game), and to not sing (other than to yourself) if there's already a selected guest singing with a mic. i figure the cauldron chose to sing because tfc fans sang their anthem, and they didn't want to be outdone. that's fine, i guess... but did you all actually realize how far off you were?*

*this is not to be confused with all the slagging off and in-fighting going on in this forum. i'm not calling anyone out. if you're reading it that way, don't reply because i'm not looking for that kind of a response. i'm just asking an honest question to find out if that was, in fact, spontaneous, or if that was the plan all along.

12. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between the volume of the Cauldron and the LACK of volume from the PA system, I think that we never stood a chance of being in sync with the on-field singer.

As an aside, I would love it if the Cauldron were the designated anthem singer for one game this season...

13. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya. I thought we sounded good (as good as a group of drunk people can sound that is), but we were way off from the singer.

Also, this may have already been discussed, but there seemed to be a lot of handballs early in the game that were not whistled.

Our defense and Claudio's awful freekick/corner quick abilities were my two major gripes from last night. Not good at all.

14. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not believe there was any plan whatsoever. We were singing something else and in danger of singing over the anthem, and so the word went out to shut up. Next thing I know someone up front (I think it was a KCO member) starting singing the anthem super loud and it spread virally from there. Mostly I think it traced back to the alcohol, much like the rest of the debacle.

15. AndyB

AndyB Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Amherst MA

Sitting between the Cauldron and the TFC fans, the Cauldron sounded like they were disrespecting the song, the TFC fans did a rather moving rendition. It was only after the fans in our section finished applauding the TFC sections singing that we realized the official singer was not finished, so I can't really blame the Cauldron for being off.

Now from the other thread I know there is a bit a disagreement between different groups with in the Cauldron; but can't we all agree on one principle. I don't care if you wrap yourself in a flag or not; sing the anthem or not; but please, please, establish the principle that

YOU DO NOT THROW THINGS ON THE FIELD WHEN THE WIZARDS ARE BEHIND!!!!

If we are ahead cover the whole field in streamer for all I care. But nothing frustrates me more than when a wizard player is running to fetch the ball to make sure the other goalie can't use that to stall; and then a "supporter" throws something on the field stalling play. It ticked me off seeing Gomez having to clear streamers off before a corner kick.... really just save it for those times when we are ahead.

16. TasteTheRainbow

Aug 22, 2007
    Olathe, KS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the anthem was off because of a slower rendition being sang, and The Cauldron being somewhat loud at that point. There is a chance the Cauldron didn't know they were ahead, because the PA was so quiet.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the way that it seemed for me, it was only in small pauses by the Cauldron that I realized that we were well ahead, and everyone else in the section was already well into it, there was really no turning back.

18. pentekno2

pentekno2 New Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was still up by the beerstand during the singing of the national anthem and I will say that the singer singing it was doing so with very particular timing, so that surely didn't help out, because even being able to hear it, I was having some issues 'singing along' with her.

19. JUSTICE!

JUSTICE! New Member

May 18, 2008
    Any chance of some photos from the game going up on the boards soon?

20. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kathie has been working on them all day

21. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll leave you all to gripe. Just wanted to say I brought an MLS virgin and now he wants to come back to more games this season. Not only was the game good for him, but he really enjoyed the pregame tailgate (bacon explosion definitely included). Thanks for that.

Oh, Spoon, I'll try not to bring another washers ringer this season. ;)

22. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Well... IMHO... the Cauldron committed a massive insult to the Toronto supporters by loudly cheering during 2/3 of the Canadian National Anthem. From my viewpoint, that started the bad mouthing back-and-forth.

I'm just sayin...

23. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wade - I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I don't think it was by and large intentional. (Aside from the dumbass in the "Respect" t-shirt who I chose to ask to shut up.)

24. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From where I was, there was one chick constantly yelling and a guy with her that was willing to strike anyone that told them to settle down. I know the security guard spared me from catching a punch, just for yelling at them to get out of my way so I could "get the f*ck out" of there.

Don't know who these people were, but I certainly don't understand what the point of showing up to try and start fights with your own fans...and then not even attempt to celebrate for either one of our goals.

The game itself was pretty disappointing. On the positive, however, we never seemed to give up.

25. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope you all don't mind...I'm going to talk about the actual game now:

Am I the only one who majorly questions Onalfo's substitution of Hohlbein at halftime?

1. We were only down 1-0...and we had a full 45 minutes to equalize or score twice - it's not like we were working with extremely limited time.
    2. The defense was struggling with Hohlbein in there to begin with, so I'm not sure why Onalfo thought taking him out for an attacker would be beneficial.
    3. As an addendum to "2" - making that sub made us play three at the back with the totally wrong personnel to do so. If you're going to play with thee defenders, One of those three needs to be a defensive rock. In 2000, we had Vermes. In 2009, we have Conrad. No problem there. However, the other two need to be hard-nosed dudes that don't wander forward too much and can control the play in the center of the park. Prideaux and Garcia did a pretty good job in 2000, but neither Jonathan Leathers nor Michael Harrington even come close to fitting that description.
    4. It seemed apparent from the end of the game that adding Hirsig to the mix we started with would have probably done more than adding Espinoza AND weakening our already-struggling defense.

To me, these are some pretty compelling down-sides to that sub - you could even argue that it directly let to both of Toronto's second-half goals.