KC vs RSL USOC Post game [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-1 AET.

Sounds like Marinelli played well, any RSL fans that want to give a first hand account, please do.

2. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that was poo, i'd like to see a video on some of those controversial calls/non-calls. even still, i'm not too bothered. i'd have liked to have won, but i think i'm already pretty much over the disappointment.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I'd like to see some video of Marinelli, I hope that Sean wasn't talking him up too much, cause it sounded like he played well.

4. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The RSL commentators had high praise for him, too, comparing him to Preki of 98/99.

5. KCRulestheEast

KCRulestheEast New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm still unhappy that we are out of the USOC before the tournament even started. But the (apparently) good play Marinelli, Victorine and the agressive coaching was reassuring.

6. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    If you are going to go out, go out early and save the legs for the season.

7. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah... i want to be really upset because it is an early exit, but i guess having not seen them yet i feel detached... (i was at a wedding over the last weekend)...

interested in seeing that PK call if possible, and our goal, of course...

8. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    As an RSL fan who attended the game... it was cold and wet, but stopped raining for the actual game.

Maranelli looked good. He created a lot of chances and looked good on the ball. He seemed to combine well with 2-3 different players. I was impressed with him.

You looked good and tight defensively. The game was fairly even, each team enjoying spells of possession but defense was very tight on both sides.

Early on in the game - RSL created the most chances. Klein forced a Hartman save. Later Klein ran onto an Adu centering pass. He was well marked by two defenders, beat the goalie, and had it go off the crossbar.

In the first half while KC had plenty of shots, none seemed to threaten. In the second half, Maranelli forced a good save on near post shot where our goalie did well to stop it. He might have been your player who put a nice shot in that also went of the RSL crossbar.

Hartman came out and took down Adu on the PK - missed the ball completely and barreled into Adu. Cunningham put it in despite Hartman picking the correct way.

Second half began even for both sides, then KC seemed to get the better of the run of play because RSL seemed content to start to sit and defend the lead... this began about minute 70 until you got the goal in min 87. It was a nice shot that Seitz stopped but the rebound went straight to a KC player who finished it.

OT began with RSL getting some great chances. Both sides pressed well but lacked the final pass/shot. Williams hit the crossbar on a 30 yard rocket. Again both defended well. On the 2nd RSL goal, it was just a good combination and a very good flick on by Cunningham that Williams finished expertly. Hartman didn't really have a chance.

Frankly, I thought you guys played well and both teams seemed a bit even. However, that was after the first go ahead goal and RSL has the tendency to let off after playing well to score the goal. They almost do better playing behind on the scoreline.

Your team did well. It was a clean game. Devoid of diving and was a good defensive display. It was probably 55/45 to RSL.

Probably the worst moment for KC in the game was when EJ went around the RSL keeper (rookie Seitz), had open net, but was stopped by Torres recovering very well. It was unbelievably good defending for what looked to be a certain goal for KC...

Anyway, tried to be as impartial as possible in my recap. Cheers.

9. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing an extra 30 minutes at altitude isn't good with Chicago coming up on Saturday. Hopefully Sealy is alright and was subbed as a precaution instead of an actual injury.

It sounded like Marinelli played well after reading through the pregame thread, which is about the only good thing I can think of other than getting some players experience and a game that they wouldn't have otherwise gotten.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    reading through the Salt Lake thread, it seems like Marinelli did as well as Wheelock made it sound like he did, which is a very encouraging sign.

11. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    2 goals allowed/game, Hartman responsible for 2 of the 4 allowed now, another pk against, and 3 cards taken. You have to discount it some as one goal was in OT, non-starters and a newbee getting carded, and KC is out of the USOC so the cards are meaningless. Still, that's 2 pk's and 6-7 cards in two games. That's ridiculous. That's KC in Mexico type quality... Defending must be better all the way around.

On the cards. Garcia was suspended for the opener so this was his first competitive game in weeks (missed Seattle, coaches decision), and his first meaningful game since October. Probably it didn't make too much difference, but it's usually the accumulation of small seemingly insignifigant details that mean the difference between glory and also-ran status. Cards always have a cost and this isn't Gansler's "Fair Play" team apparently.

Also on the negative is KC's accuracy. 5 of 15 shots offically on frame. The effort made dc seem like a bit of smoke and mirrors. Even if you count the shot cleared by Adu off the line (matchtracker didn't), that's 40% at best. Not good enough, expecially on the road in the USOC. Hopefully just an off night.

Speaking of that, KC is now 2-5 all-time on the road in the USOC, with 2 additional road losses in "qualifying" games. KC is winless v, MLS, PDL, and D3 competition when away from home. One of the 2 wins required OT vs an A-league team.

Yuck.

Solutions: 1) Check your balls. Check the internal importance of this comp. At some point something is lacking. 2) Be better in the league. Be better and this mickey mouse, schedule clogging, bs play-in game need not be played. 3) Get balls on frame. KC cashed in a rebound for the only goal. No ball on frame = no rebound.

Upcoming: The sched. has both Chicago (week) and Toronto (10 days) on full or better rest when KC meets them. After our home opener is Toronto's franchise home opener to a sold-out, giddy, Canuck, crowd that may well be a de facto National team of Canada, Maple-leaf pride sort of a feel, game. It will be interesting to watch the BS news listings as that game approaches.

Dallas is the only MLS team to have a negative sched quirk like this so far and they were pounded 3-0 at hapless NY. Colorado tied Chicago last weekend and TOR was blown out by NE. KC's depth, fitness, and professionalism will be tested.

KC has a repoorted 6-0-2 record in openers of any kind since '99. Pretty good. On balance I'd be very happy with a tie in Chicago, a boring win of any kind at home to TOR, and a non-descript "professional" 1-0 win in Toronto.

The positives are Marinelli, Victorine, KC attacking constantly, expectations of Garcia and Marinelli being better later, the high level of play mentioned by RSL posters and our own Wheelock, the USOC ending early, and that KC's reserves came in and were shown to be competitive at a good level.

On to Chicago. Let's hope Sealy heals quickly.

-WC

12. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Just saw this.

For whatever it's worth, after returning to the lowlands from altitude, it's been my experience that two things happen. First, everything seems just a bit easier for a short time - more O2, I guess, and you definitely heal slightly faster than what seems normal.

By "heal" I mean everything from stiffness, to outright muscle pain, to finger ligament strains, and partially rolled ankles. Badly chapped, cracked, and burnt to purple lips, by contrast, do not heal any faster in my experience.

:eek:

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 PKs Dave? I think you're miss counting. The PK tonight was the only PK allowed this season by us so far.

As for the shots on goal, yeah it was lower then the 90% of our shots we put on goal last week, but does anyone honestly expect us to put 90% of our shots on target every game? Looking at last weeks stats on MLSnet, the average last week was 12 shots, 5 on goal, per team, which is aobut 41%. Yeah we were below that tonight, but they're gonna have games where they're putting less on net then others.

14. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    that would be Mr. counting to you...

My bad again. I thought dc's 1st was a pk. I was drinking a little at a local Mexican place...guess I was thinking of the non-call.

The only other thing of note was after KC scored so early, I jumped out of chair and yelled. I accidentally scared the poor bartender and a mucho guappo waitress. Apparently we gringos don't normally react that way for soccer...

:D

15. torofan

torofan New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    happy to hear carlos finally on a football pitch again.
    i wish he was still with us.:( ( we would really need him now)

16. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I like to win, especially the USOC, I'm also relieved that we don't have to worry about this for the rest of the season now.

Concentrate solely on the MLS Cup.

17. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey KC fans,

Sorry if this looks like spam - just wanted to give you guys a heads up on some post-game interviews with KC players that will be posted on aylsoccer.com later today:

Sasha Victorine
    Carlos Marinelli (my apologies - I had to do it in Spanish)
    Curt Onolfo
    Jimmy Conrad (what a cool guy.......my first ever interview with him - a total professional despite a heartbreaking result. You're lucky to have him on your side.)

Also, props for the way your team is playing so far this season.......IMO the most pleasant surprise of MLS so far. Honestly in preseason I thought KC was going to miss the playoffs again - I think I was wrong because you guys are legit.

Drop me a line if you want any particulars about last night's match. Thanks.

18. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we would all like your thoughts on Marinelli since none of us have seen him play.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you saw him play if you stayed for the Evansville game.

20. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I felt the PK was a fairly obvious call. Adu had everyone beat, Hartman had no choice but to take him down.

All in all an entertaining game. After watching Ruiz (most unsportsmanlike player in the league IMHO) dive and cheat and foul all over the pitch in the opener against Dallas, and the rather ugly Columbus match with the Crew playing destructive soccer, this was the most entertaining RSL match this season.

21. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marinelli sounded great out there.
    And going 60 minutes is pretty good, I don't recall any comments about him looking gassed.(of course, he HAD to go 60 due to the Sealy injury and us not getting a 2nd goal near the end).

I think that Sasha showed his importance to the team, yet again.
    Also, I think that Zavagnin showed his too, but in a way in that he wasn't on the field. Without him RSL seemed to get more up the field on us. Not saying it was a mistake to sub him for Marinelli, because clearly Marinelli was drawing 2 and 3 players on him and that cannot be discounted.

Maybe we also missed Harringon up in the midfield instead at left back. Probably could have used his speed - and you can say confidence too from DCU game.

Raybould, Morsink, John and Movsisyan did go the full 90 - and that is good, VERY good. But from the sound of it Raybould and Morsink did nothing stellar. (I'd have subbed Raybould for Marinelli) Both John and Movsisyan I think are showing their worth, just from the description of this game, both sounded dangerous and seem like good men off the bench for sure.

I can just imagine what kind of game it could have been had it been dry. (Same goes for DCU game, almost seems if it was dry for that game then KC might hve put up 6 or more). We had some speed out there, I wonder if Sealy was slipping and sliding like in DC...

Sucks that we are out of the USOC already, always a great opportunity for our "almost" starters to play and get a lot of experience. I guess we'll be finding someone else to play with our "extra tickets"(STH's).

22. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I forgot about that, I didnt get to go out there for either of those matches. my mistake, I still think we would all like a report on him though.

23. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marinelli was very good.......always in the middle of things, and he drew lots of attention. The game definitely changed in KC's favor when he came on. He's got nice touch on the ball - a rare display on our faux grass (which is even worse when it's wet). I can't comment on his finishing because I don't recall him making an attempt.

The only negative I saw was this: He loses his temper fast (he is Argentine :) ). At one point he got tangled up with Danny Torres, the ref whistled Marinelli for a foul, and after the play he threw an elbow into Torres' neck. Torres took exception and gave him a shove which almost started an all-out brawl (credit to Sasha and Chris Seitz for breaking it up). Both Marinelli and Torres got booked. The point is, I think you'll see Marinelli getting a few cards which means suspensions are in his future, but other than that he looked like a very good pickup for KC.

24. mckid

mckid New Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As IBI_Kreis said, Marinelli changed the game. From about the 60th minute on, when he came in, much of the play was controlled by KC.

Marinelli did have a crack at goal, actually. He pressured one of the RSL central defenders, causing him to cough up the ball a few yards outside the box. I think Sealy was the one who retrieved the loose ball and then knocked it out wide to Marinelli. He destroyed the defender in front of him, providing enough time and space to pick his corner, but he blasted his shot right at Seitz. It was a fairly narrow angle, but not impossible, and about 10 yards from the post.

To add a second account of the incident with Torres, Marinelli was knocked to the ground by the Salt Lake defender and then took a swipe at him with his foot. Torres came back to Marinelli and the two got in each others faces, and then the rest I think IBIK explained well.

With Marinelli, the Wizards should be a fun team to watch this season.

25. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A little off topic but your avatar is hot!!!

Rep for you!