KC vs. Colorado Leg 2 post-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Lucid, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nice Match.

I saw your Wizards return to fine form vs. those pesky Rapids. Amazing, your team goes from studs the 1st half of the season, to chumps 2nd half, and now your getting quite tough at the right time of year. I give credit where credit is due.

Good luck.

P.S. Your home and away kits are soooo sweet, but change your crest.

2. KCWIZFLAG

KCWIZFLAG Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Gladstone, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got into it with them also. They kept ragging on Preki and the Wizards and how WE sucked! We finally just walked away-figured it wasn't worth our time.-I don't think that they were in the group of Rapids fans across the stadium-Those fans looked to be of a higher class anyway.

BTW great job in the Cauldron-sounded great to hear the duel going on between the Cauldron and the Rapids fans across the stadium. We did a little singing ourselves to help make it a bit louder.

3. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Sounds like a great game. Wish I could have been there.

4. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Who shall we blame on your "absense" Johnny, Jack or Jim? Perhaps we should put up a plaque in whichever stall you were in, since we scored both goals when you were out of the Cauldron (like always.)

5. Lightsoccer

Lightsoccer New Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Well, if that's what it takes for the Wizards to play well, I hope you "miss" the game on Saturday, too. It does work long distance, right? I'll even chip in to buy you some Johnny, Jack and/or Jim (as long as I get to help you drink it!).

6. Lightsoccer

Lightsoccer New Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Yes, y'all sounded great! As for the idiots across the tunnel, it just goes to prove that you're being noticed. Just smile and wave next time...it'll drive them crazy.

The folks in the Cauldron seemed to be getting their act together the last part of the season. I have to say I hate the microphone, though --- it distorts the sound of the chants if you're sitting in other parts of the stadium (besides near section 114). I mean, if you're truly the loudest section, do you need a microphone???

Sad to think of no soccer games at Arrowhead until next season, but here's hoping the Cauldron continues to boil!

And, yes, I'm an Earthquakes fan, but I'm rooting for my hometown team this weekend! Go Wizards!

7. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    I'd have to disagree. I watched the tape of it this evening. The Rapid definitely hit the ball before any contact was made. Also the Wizard involved was going backwards so there may even be some arguement to make about KC initiating the contact. Either way is was a cluster-f of communication between Tony and Guti.

Also by replay the ball was very close to over the line on the one the Wizards didn't get. No difinitive angle via replay. It was within an inch either way. The only way anyone can come even close is that the contact of the Rapids' defenders' foot was well within the goal. his foot came down at an angle back toward the line to land 2/3 past the goal line as he laid on the turf. By any stretch there was room for a complete length of the ball to be past the line before making contact with his foot. It was close. The freezeframe on the scoreboard was extremely misleading as the ball was well out of the goal at that point.

To the game: KC definitely outplayed COL, but not by much. COL's 2 posts, the above, and stretching Meola a few times could have easily made this one too interesting. When compared to the East playoffs, the West's series were entertaining and eventful. The East's were just brutally bad on many levels.

One thing of note that could be a problem for KC was that many times on Saturday they had several guys in vertually the same position. Dunno if it was a function of guys playing out of position or what. It does need to get solved before next week. When KC can connect passes, defenses degenerate and KC exploits the gaps created. If they can't pass, KC is average.

Tony was positionally sound and did not appear to guess on anything. If you have to knock him, the distribution was not as it should be. That will be more important against speedy countering SJ. If Meola can't make good outlets, the speed counter will not an option for KC. That limits KC to slow buildups and pressure creating turnovers in SJ's defensive zone. For me that puts the game in SJ's hands.

How good would KC be if they had a marque forward who could produce and create space? Again nothing from the forward slot. Arnaud needs to grow up quickly.

Zavagnin is a hero. He was everywhere.

Preki, scoreless in the playoffs. The good side of this is that #11 is generally a score once for every three shots on net guy. He has 2 SOG already. He's also winning frees by being fouled 8 times with none comitted. SJ has shot their wad on A-game sets with the ones they used last game. This is an area KC can exploit SJ. The braintrust needs to get together and get it done.

KC's weaknesses are easy to pick. Defense can be exploited for speed and size on sets. Speed anywhere limits what KC will attempt on both sides of the ball, making them predictable. On the bright side: I believe KC has learned how to handle pressure and also learned how to apply it much better in the last month. You have to think KC must create a turnover or two to equalize the talent next weekend. Also, KC doesn't have trouble scoring even though they have no forwards.

Quill played better on balance. A few mistakes, but he created good things as well. If I'm SJ, I find a way to pick on him as much as possible.

Can we take a collection and make sure Matt is praying to the porcelain gods Saturday about 9-12p ? Take one for the team big guy!!! Also, remind me not to park next to your car next season. That was just wrong...

8. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Talley/Meola question

Why wasn't it a backpass when Carey Talley kicked the ball on net and Tony Meola parried it away with his fist? I know he didn't intentionally kick it back to him, or towards the goal, but he did intentionally play the ball with his feet towards the back line. It wasn't like it was a misdirected kick that went straight up but towards the keeper. Or does the keeper have to hold the ball in his hands, not play the ball with his hands for it to be considered a backpass?

Thx,

Jay!

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: Talley/Meola question

You answered your own question. It was not an intentional backpass. Talley wasn't kicking the ball to Meola. At least not in my memory. If the video shows that he was playing the ball back to where he thought Meola was - then the question becomes one of why it wasn't called, and why the Rapids didn't get a indirect free kick on the six yard box line...

10. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I recall the play from MLS Wrap. (I looked up in time to see Tony on a dead run to the goal)

Carey slid into the path of the ball, attempting to clear it out over the goal line. Tony called him off, but he was already sliding, and Carey couldn't change his movement as quick as necessary.

11. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm pulling for KC over SJ!

I'm so sick of everyone on San Jose NUTS! The millions of Donovan fans. They have only won 1 title! Big deal, people act they have dominated the league for years. I know that KC has won a title too, but you don't have the masses of Non-Americans running to your side. My grandparents have lived in MO for over 20 years and my grandpa (May he rest in peace) was HUGE Chiefs fan, even though he was born and raised in Chicago...he never liked the Bears. So I feel a weird connection to KC. Plus when all else fails, I pull for my region...MO is pretty much midwest to me at least the people have a Midwest feel.

Go Wizards, beat the piss out of those Smurfs!

But I still love the Fire and hope to see you in the Finals.

12. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    You can blame it on Jose and Evan. I don't ever want to see the "Fulton Suite" again.