KC Stadium Rendering

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by AndyMead, Aug 23, 2006.

1. MintyDude

MintyDude Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Seattle/Bellingham
    I read the opener, and skimmed some other posts within the thread, but it seemed pretty vague.

This is like some archived render of what a possible stadium would have been? If so I'm really not even interested, seeing as it probably doesn't represent what they are currently planning on making.

However if this is somewhat recent (looks like it isn't based on the logo) then this is actually a piece of valuable news.

2. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice stadium, but it would great to put the same roof on both sides of the stadium.

3. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Um, I've sat at field level before and I didn't feel the seats were bad either.

4. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

awesome in deed

it also looks like it could be cheaper than it appears. The stands could be ala Toronto FC and the four corners look cleverly used as extra luxury boxes. Looks ridiculously sweet.

5. LiveattheOasis

LiveattheOasis New Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Austin
    I was just thinking the same thing ...

6. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I think you are pretty dramatically exagerating the issues w/ the moat. It impacts a small numbere of fans, and even those ones marginally. Maybe the photographer sees this as the most important issue in stadium design, but from my view, to say that Bridgeview is a step backwards seems rediculous.

But, I do agree with you that Bridgeview kind of got stuck in the middle on this design issue. Iif you want a service track, better to have a 4 foot wall for the first row and not bother putting the players in the stands. Or, you put the seats down to the field, have a moat, and put the players into the stands. Bridgeview didn't get this perfect, but it's not really a huge issue. But something KC should learn from nonetheless.

Personally, I think the KC design looks great. It reminds me of the Rochester renderings plus a partial roof. This is the perfect example of what MLS needs in smaller markets -- stadiums that aren't going to cost $100 mm.

7. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I'd argue that the asymmetry is what makes the stadium so interesting and unique to the league...with the roof on both sides, it just looks horribly generic. As long as they plan that out on the site to block the sun at the right times of day, I think it will look fantastic.

Congratulation KC, I hope this is what makes it through (in at least 90% completion of the vision) to the built stadium for you guys.

8. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL only thing i would say is JESUS MAN! there are like 50 fields out there?!?!?! LOL

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    ...and hold in the stifling heat and humidity? The roof as pictured will shade most of the stands from the late evening blazing sun with the rest of the open design allowing the midwest breezes to flow through the stadium.

Hopefully today's press conference will feature some stadium renderings and we'll find out if this is legit.

10. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you look closely at the picture, it looks like the roof material is at least a little transparant, or at least translucent. while i'm sure it would be opaque enough to shade people from the sun, i'd hope it wouldn't make the underside painfully bright to look at when the sun hit it at just the right angle. i noticed that problem on the access ramp side of the allianz areana in munich, which seems to have a simliar translucent covering. hope this thing gets built!

11. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That KC rendering looks very similar to a really old conceptual rendering for the Columbus SSS released around 1997 or so. It had a crescented roof on one side of the stadium and it had downtown Columbus in the background.....Does anyone remember that? It would be cool to find an old picture of that.

12. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    This is at least somewhat current, it's being shown here.

http://www.sportkc.org/news/JohnsonCountySoccerComplex2006.htm

Even though it's only one side, by wrapping all the way around to the endzones and extending completely over the mainstand, the roof looks more functional in holding in sound to me than most of the others we've seen. The HDC's roof is nice but seems more decorative than to make the setting intimate with noise. If this gets built, I think sitting at midfield on the roofed side will be a great experience.

13. Crafty Bernardo

Feb 13, 2006
    McHenry
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to chime in here with all the other people that've sat in the first few rows at TP and didn't once think there was a problem with people blocking the view.

3rd row at the North/East 18. Maybe midfield is different.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's basically identical to Jeju World Cup Stadium.

15. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Ha! They even pulled it off the email. It's now got that beautiful Wizards logo for people to get inspired by. :rolleyes:

16. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I heard you the first time. But I'm also saying it looks very similar to an old Crew conceptual rendering released around 1997 before the first of their failed two or three attempts to get a stadium built.

I'll ask some Crew fans if they dig up the picture somewhere.

17. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Looks like the Silverbacks renderings to me.

18. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow....complete opposite reaction?
    Are you high? :D

19. Crafty Bernardo

Feb 13, 2006
    McHenry
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I find it kind've fugly as well... although I like the four stands aspect with I'm assuming skyboxes, restaruants, stores, offices, etc. in the corners... that's nice.