KC Stadium Rendering

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by AndyMead, Aug 23, 2006.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Taken from the MLS N&A thread:
    http://www.kcforum.net/forum/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=34338&pid=610386

Notes:
    1. No telling what the authenticity or veracity of this is

2. MLS logo appears to be the pre-1996 red/white/blue version

3. With five or more years of various stadium efforts in Kansas City that would've involved mockups, graphics, etc.... it is very possible that this is, in fact, a legitimate rendering - but not have anything to do with the current stadium effort.

4. It appears to be a direct ripoff of the late Jeju World Cup Stadium in Seogwipo, South Korea.

5. If this ends up being built, Kansas City will have the most kickass stadium in all of MLS.

2. somaside

somaside New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    killumbus o-hi-er

thats one fugly stadium dude...i think the roof pretty much makes it look like crap...i like how the seats are set up...thats about it...plus its in the middle of nowhere...however it's not my team so i could care less

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they build that thing it will make MLS a target for players that wish to play in kick ass stadiums... it kicks major ass.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope it does come out looking like that, it's damn sweet.

I'm just getting envious. This sucks. :eek:

5. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's money!

6. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded.

7. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, it kicks ass!

8. Goldenstick

Goldenstick Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Bridge City, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they took off the renderings but I must admit that is going to be one beautiful stadium if it gets done!!

9. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damn, theyve been taken off. must be someting of importance if that happened.

10. mdale10

mdale10 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shit! i missed it. anyboby got a picture?

11. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

12. mdale10

mdale10 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! thanks that is frickin awesome!

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The big-ass empty lot to the right of the center point on this Google map:

http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/kcsite

Bounded by Antioch Road on the west, US-69 on the east, 159th street to the north and 167th street to the south.

There is currently a US-69 interchange at 167th and there is approval to add another at 159th.

EDIT: WTF? Why is Tiny URL a banned word? :eek:

14. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow that is BA!!

It is good to see MLS gravitating toward more foward design, now that the Camden Yards of MLS has been established in Chicago.

15. slimjim21591

slimjim21591 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Camden Yards is an awsome baseball stadium go O's even tho they suck

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    They made some serious mistakes in Chicago. Not necessarily ones that are immediately obvious to casual fans, but hopefully they're problems that'll be addressed in future stadiums.

The biggest problem - and one I've been pointing out for around a year and a half is that, the seats in the front row are too low given that there's no moat, trench, or dugouts around the field such that the folks who are on the field, but not playing in the game are blocking the view of the most expensive seats. Standing on the field during the ASG, I was eye level with folks seated in the third row. I tried to tell folks - even Peter Wilt - but my concerns were ignored in Chicago. Now all the security folks, ball kids, tv cameramen, cable pulls, sound dish folks, photographers, team/league functionaries, halftime entertainers, linesmen, players warming up, and anyone else on the field, but not actually in the game are in the line of sight between paying customers and the action on the field. At this point, there's really not much that can be cheaply done about it.

There are other issues, but like I said, they don't particularly impact the way the stadium looks. But they do impact that way the stadium is used and the imagery that can be take from events at the stadium to help market the place.

It's all unfortunate because on paper Toyota Park is a jewel. In practice, it's a functional step backwards. Hopefully they can address the mistakes they made when they rushed to do something "better" than CCS/HDC/PHP without considering the consequences of those changes. Sometimes function is more important than form.

17. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, not having a moat would be a flaw in that design. in the euro games i see on tv, it really doesn't seem like there are a lot of people on the sidelines anyway, just ballboys (the linesmen are on the pitch). i suppose the tp folks could cut a small moat around the pitch, enough for ballboys and the like, but seeing as how we're used to the small army of people you mention above milling around our sidelines, a small moat probably wouldn't suffice anyway. guess we'll have to get used to super high first rows like php, or a big moat, unless we wanna restrict who is on the sidelines.

18. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've sat in the third row before and didn't have much of an issue. Of course what knowledgable fan would sit in the third row (unless they were forced ;)) This would be the most troublesome in the endzone which is actually the cheapest seats. The sidelines are raise, but not too far and the most expensive seats (club) are raised even further to accomodate the team benches and the tunnel area (also know as the Steve Nichol tantrun area.) There is clearly a trade off of closeness/ sightlines, but there is nothing better than sitting in the corner, for a corner and being at near field level. Andy, since I haven't been to HDC or PHP, how does this compare to the sightlines in the first couple rows there?

My biggest problem is that somebody put a big a$$ stage in one of the endzones!

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hard for me to say. The only MLS SSS that I've watched a game from the stands in is CCC.

From personal experience and from talking with other folks, the consensus is that folks that really want to see the game for the sake of following it from a tactical perspective, is that they're going to want to be 15-20 rows up anyway. So the height of fans in the first row is relatively irrelevant.

There's definitely a rush and "feel of the game" one gets on the sideline (or at "ice level" in hockey") but you can also lose the "big picture". NFL teams have coaches in the press box for a reason.

If you want forest, it doesn't matter. If you want trees, then I'm sure Toyota Park is preferable to the Home Depot Center or Pizza Hut Park.

I tend to be a "low percentage" photographer. I like to shoot from the hard angles. From right on top of the action. The problem is that sometimes, not much happens where I can get it - or it happens so fast that I have to be very fast and good to get it. You'll see a lot of "wire service" (read: AP) soccer shots and hockey shots, etc... from "tv camera" angles. The reason is that you're more likely to get something usable from every game and every significant play. That said, it's often harder to get the "wow" or "holy crap" shots. Not impossible, but harder.

But when I want to watch and analyze a game, the "tv angles" - or midfield about 20 rows up - is the place to be.

If you go to a college conference tournament and want to find the MLS scouts, they're going to be on the 18 yard line at the top of the stands.

[​IMG]

20. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    That's amazing. I was in row #2 of Toyota Park last night and I never once thought about how bad the seats were.

My girlfriend's 3 nieces definately had no problems with having their view(s) obstructed by players as they warmed up.

21. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    [​IMG]

22. MintyDude

MintyDude Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Seattle/Bellingham
    Ripoff or not, its ********in sweet.

23. psveindhoven

psveindhoven New Member

May 17, 2006
    Will that stadium be the new Wizards stadium for sure or is it just an 'idea'?

24. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one knows for sure. It is all still up in the air.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Read. The. Thread.