KC @ New England: Aug 2nd

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by the_cyclones, Jul 30, 2007.

1. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why I would love to see us try some short corners or something different...

2. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    On the corners...I am almost positive I heard them say that KC has not scored ANY goals on corners this year...that is pathetic.

3. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, yes they did say that.

4. KCWizMystic4Life

KCWizMystic4Life New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Someone needs to talk to Onalfo about practicing our corners. We suck both ways on them, we seem to have no set play for defense and our offense on them seems to be, 'lets throw some people and Jimmy in the box and see what happens'. :confused:

EDIT: I didn't read any of the corners discussion before posting this so if its repetitive just ignore it...

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've had over 100 corners this season, and ZERO goals, our corners are crap, they either don't make it over the first defender or go to long.

6. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am very disappointed with the performance, we didn't even look like we had much fight in us tonight. That is not what I have come to expect from the Onalfo lead Wizards-

7. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're overreacting.

We actually had a good 1st half, I thought it was only a matter of time before we found net. Parkhurst and Reis both had very good games and kept the ball out. We had plenty of shots that skied over the bar so it's not like we got no sniffs at the goal. EJ got pretty much shut out and that was the difference. Everyone else played decent, I thought. Just have to hand it to New England, they aren't on top of the conference for nothing.

8. bfos7215

bfos7215 Member

May 30, 2006
    .....Yawn..... Hey guys, when does that game against NE start?

That was pathetic and embarrassing.

EJ wasn't good, but he was far from our worst player tonight. It's hard to do much at the front, when the midfield completely disappears. I'm not entirely sure that Victorine and KZ even came back on the field after half-time.

I'd say Arnaud was the only one busting his butt out there, but what he has in heart and determination certainly doesn't make up for lacking skill. EJ was poor. The play behind the forwards was abysmal, however.

The midfield did a few things in the first half, mostly from Marinelli. But, they were all gone, except for a few possessions from Harrington. Horrible performance.

The back was a busted dam all night. Especially out wide on both sides. Again, Conrad played like he'd rather be at home sitting on a coach. I'm about fed up with his lackadaisical play. If you guys think EJ loafs, when are you going to realize that Conrad is night playing like we are all used to. And, his lazy, cute play is becoming all too consistent. TT absolutely depantsed him on the back post with that assist.

We were lucky to not lose this game 4-0. I wouldn't mind seeing Kurt take away a day or two from those which he was planning on giving them to start this 17 game break.

9. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I give a lot of credit to New England tonight. They were ready for us. They shut down all our key players and seemed to be one step ahead of us every time.

They also created a lot more quality chances offensively than we did.

New England was the better team tonight. Thats all there is to it.

EJ has looked flat for two games now, I hope he doesnt fizzle as the season goes on.

Its too bad we had to go in a 17 day break with a loss like that.

10. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't necessarily characterize it as laziness. He is known to have annoying brain cramps now and then where he gets caught out of position. Usually he can recover, sometimes not. In any event, his value to us has to be WAY in the positive and I'm sure we could establish that if we wanted to review game tape. Fortunately that's Coach Onalfo's job.

11. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fer cryin' out loud, we hadn't lost in New England since 1999. Streaks like that have to come to an end sometime, especially against a consistently good team like the Revs. Y'all are acting like a bunch of panicky Chicken Littles.

It's all good. Time to take a break, regroup, and come back out with a bang and start a new unbeaten run. We're still well on our way to the playoffs, which is all that matters anyway.

12. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word.

(To the rest of you)
    Look at it this way: do we lose this game if we have two home games vs. NE instead of two away games? And really we essentially lost 1-0 since the second goal only comes after a counter where we had everyone up - if we didn't put everyone up in that situation then I'd be upset...

And really, we were a few fingertips away from an entirely different game in the second half anyways. We had chances, they had chances... at times both teams looked good and at times both teams looked bad. Unfortunately we looked bad 'last' and when momentum went there way we couldn't get it back (a large bit to do with being away too, I'd say).

But whatever, think what you want - but I say it was a good game, we didn't play a stellar game but it wasn't bad. It's not the end of the world or the season.

13. torofan

torofan New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    o really? do u u wnat me to put of a video of at least 20 perfect corners asking just for someone to head it in?
    u won't find many poeple around that can take corners as good as marinelli.
    sorry but if u only have conrad who can make his presence felt in there its nothin to do with the quality of the crossinng.
    u have 2 centreforwards who are poor in the air.(yura doesnt even try!!!)
    if u had someone like crouch (or even an Angel or Dichio) in the box u would get a goal each game.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who cares if they get put into a good position? In the end all that matters is if they go in. And you'd think with all these "perfect" corners Marinelli is putting in Conrad, Victorine, Johnson or someone would have gotten their head on it and put it in.

15. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This lose hurt in a bad way, especially if we want to win the SS - which I'd like to see us do to get into SuperLiga. But more so because now we are 4 points back in our conference and NE plays 3 games before they play us again -- Sun vs DC, next Sun. vs LA, a Thurs. vs Rapids before coming back to KC. We are third game in 8 days for them. Hopefully they'll be nice and wore out by then. But we could be 13 points back before we play them unless we get some help from DC, LA and CO, which is not out of the realm of possibility. Yeah, if we were 13 back, we'd have games in hand, but that doesn't beat the points on the board already.

DC has 3 games, NY has 2 and Columbus has 3 before KC takes the field again. Luckily a few of those games are against each other. NE could be at 41, NY at 33, DC (if you assume they lose to NE) at 30 and C-bus(assuming they lose to DC) at 31. Chivas has just 1 game in the stretch so they could be 30. We'd be the 8th seed by then with probably Chicago/Colorado/Toronto within 3/4 points.

Who said every game don't matter.

Damn this loss hurts.

16. bfos7215

bfos7215 Member

May 30, 2006
    I agree. My point isn't that Conrad should be kicked off the team. It's that fans are being way more critical of EJ when Conrad is playing as bad [lazy] or worse.

They both bring positive value to the team. They should just be judged with the same level.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Fixed.

18. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes it does! DAMN!:(

19. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are all the posts in this forum with the "EJ loafs" sentiments? The US Men N&A forum is just down the hall to the right, listen for all the bitter, cranky people, waiting for the American Theirry Henry to walk through that door.......

As for last night...we just weren't very good. Yes, that goal goes on Jimmy, but Hartman covered up a multitude of mistakes by everyone who played defense for us last night. Marinelli was something of a turnover machine, but he was wearing Shalrie Joseph for most of the evening, and the Revs can get away with that strategy because Marinelli tries to dribble his way out of trouble instead of passing. But maybe that's because he's got no one to pass it to - does the offense work better with Davy at right mid? Will this Eloy fellow push Sasha to the bench? I don't know, and it will be a couple of weeks before we find out.

I'm not heartbroken that we didn't win last night, because we didn't play well enough to do so. (It would've been nice to eke out an undeserved point. We certainly have let some teams eke out an undeserved point against us.) When all the best scoring opportunities come from 20 yards out, and our GK has to repeatedly stand on his head to stave off disaster, our chances of success aren't so high.

And my, oh my, our setpieces suck. suck suck suck suck. We're the suckiest bunch of sucks who ever sucked at setpieces.

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs came into the game last night third in goals against per game. Not sure how that qualifies as one of the worst two defenses in MLS by far?

Hartman, and I really can't stand him, stood on his head last night. He was outstanding and really can't be blamed for the goals. Heck of a game by him.
    I'd agree (well, not on the revenge part ;)). The first half was pretty evenly played, the second half though was pretty much all Revs. At least IMO, you guys weren't embarrassed last night.

Good luck ... and see you guys on the 19th!

21. matthias

matthias New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    opark ks
    The Revs are in first place over both Divisions, Its not the end of the season or the world that we lost. Hurts, yeah, but not that big a deal to me when I consider our success in their building over the years is pretty remarkable. At least we know we can compete with them and figure out how to beat them in the playoffs.

S>

22. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Second Half Was Poor. The Defense Crumbled Under The Revs. Our Offense Didnt Wouldnt Follow Thru With Passes Nor Shots! "el Gato" Worked His But Off Last Night And All The Blame Can Not Go On To Him. The Entire Team Just Looked Like They Were Out Classes By The Revs. Ej Was Horrible And The Defense Couldnt Get It Together. Maybe This Will Wake 'em Up And Get Some Wins Back!!

23. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I honestly dont think this loss hurts so bad, I could think of a couple of other losses that hurt way worse than this.

I say that because we already got 3 points on them in their house earlier this season and get another shot at them on the 19th at home. Now, if we lose that game. That will sting badly.

24. wz187

wz187 Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I thought Morsink looked good in his ten minutes at the end. Saw him outrun Jose to get back and stop a break away, as he should as a sub, but still great effort and speed. Showed a spark on offense to, but the rest oft he wiz couldn't complete a pass. Since it is aparent Harrington has hit the rookie wall, I would love to see Morsink get more playing time.
    For those of you panicking, calm down, this was not a must win game. People over use that phrase all the time. Good now that you are calm, we have a stretch of 5 games over 13 days which will really hurt us.

25. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    i think we looked tired before the end of the first half. maybe it was just the short week. but i kind of saw it coming at that point. we started off strong and it's too bad we couldn't sink a couple early on.

i'll tip my hat to both goalies, though.