KC@ LA In\Post game [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Spoon, Sep 27, 2003.

1. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, either Gansler went from complete idiot to genius in one week (he is neither) or maybe (probably) its just a case of players playing well. The team looked much better, especially their movement offensively. What Bob had to do with it, I don't know.

[Al Bohl]The players hold the fate of Gansler in their hands like a dove. They can let him soar with his vision or crush him.[/Al Bohl] (That "press conference" remains one of the funniest things I've ever seen.)

2. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would make sense... I missed the lineups at the beginning, but this is what it looked like to me from watching the game.

conrad - diego - nick
    zotinca - zavagnin - talley - armstrong
    arnaud - preki- Klein

3. refused77

refused77 New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    KCMO
    great effort from meola on their goal

should have done a cartwheel, it would have looked better

4. jdouble

jdouble New Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    line-up...

i think you are right, but it really looked like Talley was out wide right most of the game. it sort of played like this:

----------meola

conrad -- diego -- nick

----------Z.--------
    talley--------------Armstrong

-----zotinca-------klein

-------preki------------

----------arnaud---------------

i think it was a weird formation. Zotinca did some defending, but really did more attacking on the right side sort of behind Preki and in front of Talley.

FSW is wrong a lot. they list people in the wrong position and put them in the wrong part of the field. i dont know if MLS coaches just dont have to be as exact when they report or what...

have to say i was not impressed with our play. i kept thinking we were going to lose in the closing minutes... then that they would tie. ... probably just our pattern that made me think that, but they really held the ball a lot that second half.

only real chance they had was the one that coby tried to take "near-post" on tony.

hope this leads to some confidence and momentum. we have four tough games to go (dallas may not be that tough) but they are all winnable and should tell us how fit we are for the play-offs.

5. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Was it just me or did Bretos and Hopkins forget that this was a FSW game and not a local LA broadcast?

Klein seemed to play on the left more than not, but he appeared to have a free role. The formation was odd and at times looked more like the Dutch "total football" with players just interchanging at will.

I also have to say that I think Zotinca has really improved since he first joined, and he looks much more comfortable at this level.

6. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Sorry, I missed that thread. I'll take a look at it later on.

In baseball, I judge teams by their pythagorean winning %. In soccer, it's a bit more complicated b/c of draws (though not really in the playoffs, which 8/10 make). But, bottom line, they've scored as many as they've allowed this year, which is actuallly more than can be said about Colorado. Given the playoff structure, if the Wizards can finish third, there's pretty much a 50-50 chance of making the second round. And what if LA (let's assume they finish fourth) beats SJ? Home field advantage against LA! There's still a lot to hope for.

If you're going to judge him on three years, why not four years?!

Ok, fair enough.

7. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Yes. Still glaring is an indoor habit. Every time he gets the ball near the sideline his first instinct is to shield the ball with the defender on his back. It's as if he wants to make a wall pass down line...oops, no walls. It usually turns into a turnover because he has to look up for the angle to pass instead of just up or down a wall. It too will go away.

8. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Great 2nd 1/2

I know I'm a Chicago Fire fan and from Chicago (not trolling, don't worry), but just wanted to POP in and say great match. LA needed that beating (after we licked 'em in the US Open Cup Semis) from you guys.

KC looked so strong at the beginning of the season and since right before the All-Star break you have been in a nose dive.

Nice to see you pull out of it. I miss Wolf. Preki has been amazing. He is my MVP..then maybe Spencer because they both have carried their teams.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Gansler must go.

10. gabe

gabe New Member

Oct 17, 2002
    NJ

Metro fan here will second that.... Preki is simply the definition of MVP: i posted on your boards before "I really hope Preki wins the Budweiser scoring champion honors this season."