KC@ LA In\Post game [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Spoon, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-1 at the half.

We scored!! Wow

2. Lionheartjf

Lionheartjf Member

May 31, 2003
    St. Louis
    2-1 with under 10 to go!

What's happened to the board?

I guess everyone is at Coach's? Or celebrating the KU win today...

Either way, this would be a great ending to the day.

3. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Wow!!!!

2-1 us. Who predicted that?

Kleiny comes from no where to score two. Preki with a [Bill Grigsby]beeeeeeeeautiful[/Bill Grigsby] through pass on the second goal.

I seriously can't believe this.

4. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    congrats, i know how you field. The reason why I'm in here is i want to know your opinion on the reffing of this game.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FINALLY, I bet the players feel great about finally getting back in to the win column, especially when the win A) is away, B) is against LA away. I was definitly surprised when I saw that score line. And of course the week I sit Preki and transfer Kleiny from my fantasy team, they come up big for us. Oh well at least we got a win. Maybe this'll be the confidence boast we need as we now offically head into the playoffs with Dallas losing.

6. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not a bad night.

WE finally get a win
    its against LA
    its away
    I won a tony meola bobblehead in the raffle at coaches
    My dad won a hat in the halftime raffle at coaches
    and i totally didnt expect ANY of it.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone expect any of it? :D

8. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    I did. No surprise here. You'll probably find that there are a lot of LA fans not terribly surprised by the result. Congrats. Another guaranteed 3 when we visit your stadium next.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you'd find that a lot of us here were expecting it the other way around. We'll see in a few weeks though.

10. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Full marks to Ben for injecting a little positive karma in the pre-game thread. I'm sure it was that.

Then again it might have been the two Klein dropped on LA and that sweet ball from Preki. I dunno. I'm undecided.

:D

Also important is that SJ, who KC would avoid by finishing third, has scored 10 goals in the last 180 minutes.

11. milkduds

milkduds Member

May 20, 2003
    Saint Paul, MN
    Any Word on Wolff's Return?

The last time I asked, I was told he would be back a week before his next injury :)

Seriously though, will he play again this season?

12. Hexenmeister

Hexenmeister Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Kearney, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I turned the game off after LA scored the first goal.

Maybe I should do that more often.

13. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preki, it's good to have you back. That was a sweet through ball to Kleiny.

We didn'y play that well overall but still got the away result. Can't ask for too much more than that.

Let's hope this positive shot of karma jump starts the Wizards to a positive finish of the regular season.

14. Mikegone

Mikegone Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Fire Gansler.

Klein & Zotinca up top????

Talley on the right????

Diego at sweeper????

Get rid of Arnaud too, that guy is all effort and no skill.

15. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all due respect to Ben, I'm sure it was my sign, which I know affected Preki. (Damn you Matt. :D)

Seriously though, it was an absolute shock when to me that we won this game. We were outplayed for a good portion of the game, but Grandpa comes through in the end. That was probably the best service I've ever seen. Klein didn't even have to adjust his stride to run on to that and bury it past Hartman. Wow.

Despite the win, I'm still on the "fire" side of the fence as to Bob. I know we're tied on the road, but at this point, one point is no good. At least this way, we've absolutely got ourselves in the playoffs.

16. rudeboy

rudeboy Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Kansas City
    go figure

Go figure, the one game I don't watch and we win. Congrats to the boys in blue for pulling this one out of the hat and giving us all just a little bit of hope. I still say fire gansler, but props to the boys for getting the job done. Nice to see Klieny has some life in him after all.

17. LSNsoccer362238

LSNsoccer362238 New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Thoughts:

-God went back on defense a few times...wow.
    -Theres no way I can not like Davy Arnaud, he goes all out all the time even in the 80th minute when hes gasping for breath. He may not be the most skilled, but I'll take him. His good looks also have NOTHING to do with my opinion, by the way ;)
    -Klein has done better this game than in some past games...
    -Alex Zotinca was marked down as a Forward on FSW's preview of the game...weird. But i guess he did ok.

18. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I decided not to watch and instead went to see Turbonegro and danko Jones. I'm glad we won, but I still feelI made the right decision...the show was amazing. I have to ask though, did anyone tape the game and can I borrow it? did zotinca really start up top? WTF?

19. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Yes fire Gansler. One result in two months does not make up for the string of 9 without a win. Especially when LA didn't exactly pose much competition last night.

Klein surprised, Zotinca was not that effective. Igor would have been better in his place.

Talley's position surprised me, but I agreed that he should be on the field.

I've said it before that Diego is out of position at sweeper, but he's the best we've got.

Conrad was at fault on the first goal.

20. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Not-so-random thoughts:

That's a big field in LA, yet KC covered most everything all night.

Third win in 16 tries in LA. Be grateful for the small gift.

Announcers stated at the game's start that Klein would be allowed more freedom from defense. Big shock, he produces two. Klein doesn't normally run streaky like Brown and Digital have tended to be in the past. We're not going to get a quote on how that decision was made. My guess: The braintrust looked at what was going on when KC was winning as compared to now. Let Klein run (probably among other things) was an answer. Is that good coaching to make an adjustment or poor to have to adjust in the first place? Yes, I think LA was less than average last night. Still, it's a win.

Quill out, Ruiz out, and Preki's left were the deciding factors in this one. Two of those 3 will be the same (I hope) next Saturday.

Conrad gives up things defensively. That was known when he came here. He's proven to be able to produce at the other end consistently. Part of his mantle is to go forward during the run of play as well as on sets. If you leave him back ala Garcia, he will still give up stuff and the attack becomes less multi-dimensional in all facets. BG has been using him as intelligently as possible. Conrad's been just a hair from many goals in the last 2 months. One will come. KC keeps designing plays for him either direct in attack or as a decoy.

Arnaud has enough time to not trip over himself in the box. It happened twice. Someone tell me how that's any different to Brownie? Other than that, no complaints on the effort.

Meola - One breakaway he guesses and the next he doesn't move. At least his distribution is improving; it isn't typical of his baseline performance yet, but it isn't as bad as a month ago.

On balance this is a team that has shown the 2-year consistent inability to handle speed of foot or thought. To me that says, "get younger".

KC can beat Colorado over 180 minutes. The right mix of events and a pk win can do the job in SJ. They can't win the Cup. Flukes don't happen twice in a row, that's whay they call them flukes.

That said, LA is a bit different with Ruiz and without Lalas. That schedule has cost them 5-8 points, no doubt.

Paging Mr. Beasley pick up the white courtesy phone...

I'm looking forward to Chicago at Colorado Wednesday. CHI could lock away the East. COL needs points to have any shot aat the West, a loss and COL is vulnerable for second. The ponies were at home so the field will be rough; bad for Chicago. Rapids in a low scoring game.

I have full faith that KC will find something in training this week that will be clearly evident on Saturday. Sometimes when you are not puckered by a list of problems, your mind can get to a higher gear without trying. Every coach I've ever met says that is at least a small part of creativity. Coaches that lower their pucker factor are subject to this as well. It's not a coincidence that free kicks have been lacking since July.

Preki is still leading MLS by 4 points. Whatever he's on, I'd llike a 30-year supply, or at least the number of his supplier.

BTW, 2-0-0 in the otherwise all-blue with white shorts. 0-1-0 wearing white at home. I hope someone at Arrowhead is paying attention.

Mathis could have been the best F in US history, but he's beatable mentally and will not commit physically in off Cup years. Rediculous. What stupid fouls v dc today. Saw both of them, neither excusable.

NE returned form an 0-2 75th min. hole to tie late and then win on a the second best free of the game from Franchino in OT. If you have not seen all 5 goals check out mlsnet - it's worth it.

What kind of blatant BS puts Norway and the US in a quarterfinal under any circumstances? At least Germany and China should be another.

FIFA and the NCAA - two groups that do one very good thing that almost outweighs everything else they f up.

Anyone else have any complaints about the CONCACAF Cup going to only 8 teams? I think if MLS is going to get their butts handed to them, so be it. Make the season longer at the beginning is a solution to the scheduling problem.

Colorado will have played mid-week. It will not bother Hendu. Others? Maybe. KC early on a set piece and late against a tiring team works for me.

Finally, US Postal won yet another Grand Tour in cycling. First team to do that in 20+ years. No Armstrong on the Vuelta de Espana (Tour of Spain) Postal team. Roberto Heras took the golden jersey for Postal. Go Posties!!! They wear blue too! The OLN guys are among the best announcers on English TV...no kidding.

21. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    You want to fire Gansler now? That doesn't make any sense. First of all, you need to judge him on the season as a whole. The Wizards are basically average. This HAS NOT been a bad season. Second, you really think they can bring in someone at this late date and turn things around? If not, then fire him at the end of the season.

22. SoccerNutScott

SoccerNutScott New Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Olathe, KS
    Had to miss the game damn it because of work. Saw the highlights on MLS Wrap just as I got home. What a sweet freaking piece of work that pass was from Preki to Klein. Has to rate up there with the all time best passes I have seen. Can anyone tell me what the starting line up looked like. FoxSportsWorld said they played three forwards with Klien Preki and Arnaud starting up top. I know FSW has been wrong before though.

23. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    "Do not take me out!"

Did anyone else catch that? Right after Preki assists the second goal he is over at the sideline with his replacement warming up. What does Bob do? Takes him out. :)

24. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Not-so-random thoughts:

i agree completely.

25. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    No, I'm pretty sure if you read the whole Fire
    Gansler thread you'd see that no one is calling for a change now. I'm talking about post season.

First of all, I'm judging him over two full seasons and roughly 75% of this season. The Wizards aren't average, as noted in the Fire Gansler thread they've been BELOW average three seasons running.

Second of all, you hit the nail on the head. Like I said, no one (at least not me) is calling for him to be fired now. But this life of mediocricy is getting old.