KC has loyal fans...

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenC1357, Sep 11, 2003.

1. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/6741984.htm

Nice to see Mike get some play in this article.

It still pisses me off a bit though that I've been asking both beat writers (Boyce and Luder) to do an article about the Mystics and they never have. But with "Break The Record" night coming they'll write an article about a lawyer from Arizona and a guy from Chicago that travel to the games. I commend those guys, because I also travel a long ways for all the games. I just feel that an article about the Cauldron would be a great piece, maybe I'm wrong.

2. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Nice pub

Ben beat me to this.

As for the Chicagoan and the Arizonan (sic?) this part of the article is crap. The Chi dude comes in for 10 games and the AZ dude for only one. Give me a break. That isn't loyalty at least not to the extent that certain members of this forum display it.

Hell, Ben you come in for EVERY game from St. Louise. As does Roush from Wichita. 4 and 3 hour drives approximately. Sam and Bishop drive in from Lawrence, also not very close. The article should have been about one or all of you as well. That is loyalty.

I was sorely tempted, and still am considering, emailing Luder to tell him about the four of you. Just to set the record straight.

Chris

PS: I didn't realize the Mystics had never had an article written about them, but I shouldn't be too surprised since they are like the red-headed stepchild of the front office.

3. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I've missed one game in three years, and I was in the hospital. All games are comign from lawrence, and back, a 1 1/2 hr to 2 hour round trip. There are a lot of other guys from Lawrence who go to every game besides Sam and I. McGinty, Thompson, Mike, Packrat, and a couple others plus significant others make it to almost all the games. Before I lived in Lawrence during the summer, I also made numerous trips from Columbia, a 4 hour round trip. I'm not terribly happy about it, but I'm going to start to have to make that columbia-lee summit drive all over again, as we're moving back to Columbia in Dec. I guess it's time to get my motorcycle running and have an excuse to take it out every Sat.!

4. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Re: Nice pub

Although I wouldnt turn it down, I'm not looking for personal recognition. It just that our entire group has a vast amount of stories within it and Luder and Boyce both have been extended the opportunity to write about us many times and have never taken us up on it.
    Sure for the last five seasons I've been 250 miles away (Rolla, and now St. Louis) and only missed a handful of games (most notably the 2000 semifinal game 3 :( ), but the effort and story of our groups loyalty is pretty cool if you ask me. Something that Wizards fans need to hear. Because the story that could be written about us could go a long way to changing the perception that others have about us.

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the whole concept of organized supporter groups is probably a little foreign to most American sports journalists. Still, they missed a golden opportunity to give you guys some props.

By the way, congrats to you all for filling Arrowhead up more this season. Those season ticket numbers are impressive indeed!

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I also traver further, and apparently make more games, than the guy from Phoenix. :p

7. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Superfan Andy Mead ladies and gentlemen!!! :D

Hell maybe not this year but in 98 and 99 season I drove from q-town and back same night. Beside Ben like bigredfutbol said it is foreign for the likes of David Boyce or Luder. Hell they don't even relize that this team is playing like crap. Everything is ok it seems in the articles in the Star.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Did I mention I'm coming to the game on October 4th? Since I was going to Portland for the WWC on the 5th, I figured that I should stop by on the way past. :p

9. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got an even better idea... Does anyone have any pictures from the roadies that we organized to Tulsa and Chicago? Between those two, and the cold night in Edmond, that would be a better story than a guy in Arizona who goes to one game a year....

10. LSNsoccer362238

LSNsoccer362238 New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Not to take anything away from the Arizona and Chicago guys, but everybody in the Cauldron are still bigger fans, you can just tell. And does anybody actually care about Luder and Boyce? Several people here could write better than them...

11. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Sixpack. And that's who we're in most dire need of convincing.

But that's grist for another mill. (My Master's thesis, namely...)

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Ooh, I'm interested. Let me know when it is ready for publication.

13. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but to get joe sixpack to the game that would take $$$. Something that the ownership doesn't want to do . They are happy getting the kiddies out to the 1-2 games a year. IMO That will be the downfall of this team.

14. SoccerNutScott

SoccerNutScott New Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Olathe, KS

That is the most ridiculous statement. Lamar Hunt Did soooo much this off season in trying to promote this team and sell tickets. The man worked his a$$ off.

As for promoting the games to the kiddies being the downfall of the team? Lets not plan for future generations at all. Instead, lets just get more beer throwing drunks in the stadium. That will help won't it?

15. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Hell yeah, beer throwing drunks have a lot more disposable income. will call in and talk to the radio shows, and are almost always louder than that of 12 year old kids.

Just think all that free beer pouring down from the heavens, it will be like catching snow flakes on your tounge.

16. SoccerNutScott

Feb 6, 2001
    Olathe, KS

My response was somewhat tongue and cheek. But you can't ignore the kiddies. No league can with maybe the exception of the NFL because those are your future fans and you have to plan for the future to grow your leagues and your teams tickets base. Besides, if there were that many Soccer Loving Beer throwing drunks then the cauldron would be a lot fuller wouldn't it?

17. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Fuck you and your generalizations. You obviously don't stand in the Cauldron, so don't go assuming that a couple incidents over the course of a few years is worthy of generalizations. I used to set behind the visiting bench and saw just as many bad things from those fans in a shorter amount of time. What you got to say about them? This combine with the "you all are a negative group, you call yourselves supporters?" crap you're spewing over in the "Fire Bob Gansler" thread are getting old. You know what else is getting old? Every post you disagree with you call the "most riddiculous statement". If one statement is the most then how is the other??? :rolleyes:

Most of us are making concerned comments about the quality of the product we're paying our hard earned money to support. Furthermore, some of the people on here are pretty knowledgable and have some good stuff to say. So cut the shit and stop with the generalizations and cheap shots.

18. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ya you are right you can't forget about the kiddies but when you forget about everyother age group how do you expect to become a main attaction in this town? Or better yet even on the metro sports radar? Kids don't call into radio shows, and kids are the resaon that this team has never been accepted by the media. Who wants to talk about a sport that only 5-12 year olds go to? If the Wizards had any popularity what so ever in the media they would be saying the same thing we are. Someone needs to get wacked!

Yes Lamar worked his ass off getting Corp tickets that may or may not be used everyweek. Especially when the team sucks.

Like I said the kids come to couple of games a year and that is it. They might watch it on tv but that is not very likely. Hell when the kids are at the games they don't pay attention for very long. They are off running around or yapping with their friends all game. Take a look around.

19. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we can argue the financial aspects of the front office's focus on the youth soccer market until we're blue in the face, it overlooks an equally important issue.

From a Public Relations standpoint, it is important to have the backing of the news media. All the advertising in the world can't make the same dent in the mind of the consumer that one great story can. Kids don't buy newspapers, nor more importantly buy from media advertisers. Adults do. Primarily males, ESPECIALLY with sports stories. If the adult fan is nonexistant, the media has no target audience. Without a target audience, the media has no reason to cover the game seriously. Without serious coverage, it's like the proverbial tree in the forest. Does it really matter?
    What makes or breaks any professional sports team over the long haul is consistent purchase of tickets. Very simple. If there are 10,000 butts in the seats for each game, the team will be more successful than if there are 8,000 butts.

But that's the long haul. In order to GET to the long haul point, MLS must have credibility. And to get that credibility, ADULT supporters are needed. People who will consume the media, and buy from their advertisers. Not 10,000 kids running unsupervised around Arrowhead, blowing those stupid facking Whale Mating call horns.

20. SoccerNutScott

Feb 6, 2001
    Olathe, KS
    Very classy response. I have actually stood in the Cauldron twice. I had actually thought about joining the mystics too when Mike Gaughn was president. But decided against it after standing in the cauldron on two different occassions. Too much fowl language and yelling at our own players that I didn't condone. Now I cuss like a sailor myself I am told and some of the language in the cauldron made me blush. You are right though, it was too general of a shot at the whole mystics group and I apologize. I have always said there are some very very knowlegeable people on this board. But you can't sit there and tell me you guys are not the most negative group around especially for a group that is suppose to be supporting. As far as your last statement, that there are quite a few knowledgeable people on here so cut the sh_t statement. I never said there were not knowledgeable people on here. I simply disagreed with 2 posts which is probably the first time I have done so if my time on this board. It seems though when someone disagrees with a mighty mystic that you all gang up and attack them as you are the all mighty. What is up with that. There are differences of opionion. So what. So to cut to the chase I aplogize if I offended anyone. I normally don't do that on here and don't feel it should be done. I would just like to see alot less negativity from the group that supports the Wizards as well as you guys do. Trust me, I do not question any of your dedication to the team as you are always there and come from near and far.

21. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I cut a bit out of your post and left the statements I'd like to address...
    I think the accusations of negativity come down to perception. I percieve the statements about Chris Brown, Eric Quill, Bob Gansler and the front office as truthful. Our group would be negative, in my opinion, if we showed up to the games expecting defeat and getting onto the players/coaches before the game. This is why I wouldnt bring a sign or wear a bag over my head just yet. Instead its after the game, after the team lets us down, that we are upset with the product we got. Its reaction, not negativity. Every sports team in the world has this. When the Royals sucked Muser was called out and eventually fired. When Gunther Cunningham failed to take the Chiefs to the playoffs, he was called out by many fans and fired. Just listen to a local sports talk show in any city where a team is playing poorly. The die hard fans of that team that are knowledgable about what it takes to win often are calling for the coaches head. Its happening right now in St. Louis with both LaRusa and Martz. Nothing different here, except that BigSoccer is our "talk show".

I've got no problem with differing opinions. Hell Dave (wizardscharter) and I differ on a whole hell of a lot of topics on these boards (this topic included) but he stand right next to me during the games and goes through it all with me. My problem wasn't that you had a different opinion. I specifically quoted your statement that our section would be full if there were more "Soccer Loving Beer throwing drunks" at the games. This implies those are the only type of people in the Cauldron which is simply not true. You want proof that differing opinions are accepted around here, you need look no further than JPNutters (BTW, where you at JP?) posts.

22. SoccerNutScott

Feb 6, 2001
    Olathe, KS
    Good analogy about the talk show aspect. I agree with you there. Again, I apologize about my Soccer Loving Drunks in the Cauldron. I know several people in the cauldron and didn't mean to infer that all are that way. Bad choice of words.

23. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes this is our talk show. Though there is another real talk show on Weds afternoon you can call in and rant about the Wizards. :D Which really goes allong with the demand or lack of for soccer in the media. We have a show now and by far the best one as ok yet. So if we bust it open with calls every week. That sends out a signal that hey maybe there are Wizards fans over the age of 12 and a more talk is warrented. Just a thought!

24. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    This gets on my nerves everytime. The cauldron and the Mystics are not one and the same, don't confuse the two. Another thing is that when people who don't sit in the cauldron, bitch about the "politics" (and I use that term loosely) of it. If you want it to changed then walk over stand up and cheer in the section. If you don't like what somebody says ignore it and not try to do anything about it, or stand up and say something to their face. I am not saying to be confrontational, just let them know that you don't think it is appropriate. Basically if you want to make a change go and do it yourself, and not behind a computer screen.

The only sign I am bringing is a "raise the salary cap" sign. If better players are in this league than an entertaining loss is better than a crappy played loss in my book.